Opinion of the Rams moving back to LA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:18:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of the Rams moving back to LA?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Freedom move or horrible move?
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Opinion of the Rams moving back to LA?  (Read 3388 times)
pikachu
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 03:11:19 AM »

Don't particularly care about the Rams (though having the NFC West make geographic sense is nice) but I'm interested to see what the second team will end up being. I'm also curious to know how the stadium's being funded, and whether it's going to close to the new Crenshaw line.
The NFC East doesn't make much geographic sense with my Cowboys, either.  And are they even planning on having a second LA team?  I'm not sure they need more than one.

Yeah, why on earth would they go from 1 to 2? Why can't they settle for one? Surely they'd accept that after, you know, over 20 years of zero teams?

Are they allergic to odd numbers in LA?

If you really want two teams, why not move one team and then, if that goes well, move the second to LA?

And I've always been baffled as to how Dallas is in the East, St. Louis was in the West, and Indianapolis was in the South. I guess it's more about rivalries than geography.

I think the rationale is that

a) LA's massive. A metropolitan area with half of LA's population would still be the fifth largest in the country. Just in sheer population, a second franchise can be easily sustained, and has the potential to be quite successful.

and b) Every other league does it, and the franchise values for them tend to work out. According to Forbes, the NHL has the Kings and Ducks as the 9th and 16th most valuable, Lakers and Clippers at 1st and 5th, and the Dodgers and Angels at 2nd and 8th. Assuming both franchises are competently run, they'll be worth a lot more in LA. 

I get those points and generally agree, but it's still bizarre to not move a team there for two decades and then all of a sudden add 2.

Put them in at the same time so one doesn't dominate the other in fan support? That seems to be an issue with a lot of cities that have two teams, with one establishing a strong base of support and than the other is just confined into whatever geography it holds.

(Interestingly, the friends I've made here in LA, none of who were alive when the Raiders and Rams left, are sticking with the teams they chose.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 03:13:51 AM »

Don't particularly care about the Rams (though having the NFC West make geographic sense is nice) but I'm interested to see what the second team will end up being. I'm also curious to know how the stadium's being funded, and whether it's going to close to the new Crenshaw line.
The NFC East doesn't make much geographic sense with my Cowboys, either.  And are they even planning on having a second LA team?  I'm not sure they need more than one.

Yeah, why on earth would they go from 1 to 2? Why can't they settle for one? Surely they'd accept that after, you know, over 20 years of zero teams?

Are they allergic to odd numbers in LA?

If you really want two teams, why not move one team and then, if that goes well, move the second to LA?

And I've always been baffled as to how Dallas is in the East, St. Louis was in the West, and Indianapolis was in the South. I guess it's more about rivalries than geography.

I think the rationale is that

a) LA's massive. A metropolitan area with half of LA's population would still be the fifth largest in the country. Just in sheer population, a second franchise can be easily sustained, and has the potential to be quite successful.

and b) Every other league does it, and the franchise values for them tend to work out. According to Forbes, the NHL has the Kings and Ducks as the 9th and 16th most valuable, Lakers and Clippers at 1st and 5th, and the Dodgers and Angels at 2nd and 8th. Assuming both franchises are competently run, they'll be worth a lot more in LA. 

I get those points and generally agree, but it's still bizarre to not move a team there for two decades and then all of a sudden add 2.

The NFL seems to tie relocating to new cities to new stadiums being built there.  The Rams owner convinced them that he could get this new LA stadium built, just when the Rams, Chargers, and Raiders were all having problems getting new stadia built in their current markets.  If you're going to build a gigantic new stadium capable of housing two teams, then why not let that second team move in and share it?  Whereas without that new stadium, the number of franchises they wanted in LA was zero.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 06:46:11 AM »

The owners of the Blues and Cardinals dropped the puck together last night at Blues game as a show a mutual respect/solidarity/eff you to the Rams.  The crowd started chanting "Kroenke* Sucks!".  Pretty funny.

*however you spell the asshats name, I don't care enough to know
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 08:29:45 AM »

Since real football is expanding to two teams in LA, it's not surprising that the NFL wants two professional gridiron teams there as well. (Four if you count the Bruins and the Trojans).
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 09:40:41 AM »

I feel bad for St. Louis fans, but let's be real.  The Rams were in LA longer than anywhere else.  I see no reason why they shouldn't have a team.  Best of luck to St. Louis for getting another NFL team.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »

And are they even planning on having a second LA team?  I'm not sure they need more than one.

The Chargers have been given a year to decide if they're going to join the Rams in LA.  If they decline, then the Raiders may go instead.  Most likely the new stadium they're going to build there will house the Rams plus whichever of the other two teams wants to join them.

What if neither team chooses to go?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »

The state of Missouri and the city of St Louis simply couldn't come up with the extortion money the owner demanded, sad really.
Edward Jones Dome was frequently rated as one of the worst stadiums in the country and the league.  It only makes sense that Kroenke would want a new one.  But of course, the taxpayers of St. Louis are still paying for the Jones, so I can understand the hesitation on the part of city and state officials.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »

And are they even planning on having a second LA team?  I'm not sure they need more than one.

The Chargers have been given a year to decide if they're going to join the Rams in LA.  If they decline, then the Raiders may go instead.  Most likely the new stadium they're going to build there will house the Rams plus whichever of the other two teams wants to join them.

What if neither team chooses to go?

Then the Rams will be the only LA team, and they'll have the stadium to themselves.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:11 PM »

Horrible move in my opinion. LA can't keep a team in the first place, and if you're going to sacrifice a team to moving there, give it to a small market (and generally unlikeable) team like the Raiders.

You're not a fan of football if you don't at least have some type of affection for the Raiders, imo.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

There was actually a time when the NFC West consisted of the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams!
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »

The state of Missouri and the city of St Louis simply couldn't come up with the extortion money the owner demanded, sad really.

Freedom move by the city and state to not give in to the owner's evil demands. Don't really much care about the STL/LA Rams franchise, other than I know it was in LA beforehand and it's simply moving back.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2016, 09:48:08 PM »

There was actually a time when the NFC West consisted of the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams!

While Arizona was in the east.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 03:18:32 AM »

True, that was even crazier.

You'd think with all that money they could hire people who knew geography! Tongue
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »

Hahaha suck it St. Louis! The LA fans may end up not caring about football but the Rams were the most stale team in the NFL the past ten years. The Edward Jones Dome was so depressing. This will give Todd Gurley a big stage to grow on. Divisions are more geographically balances (I hated having a NFC West team more east than a NFC East team).

They just need to go back to the old colors (which I'm afraid they won't)!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »

I heard the earliest that they can change their uniforms is 2019 when the new stadium opens due to league contracts or something.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 01:09:06 PM »

I heard the earliest that they can change their uniforms is 2019 when the new stadium opens due to league contracts or something.

I know there is a rule that NFL teams cannot change their uniforms within 5 years of a redesign, but I don't think the Rams have changed their uniform in a long time. But maybe there's another rule in these crazy contracts. I just hope long term they drop this dull color scheme and go bold.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies