Bernie Sanders Comments On Campus Rape, And Totally Drops The Ball
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:14:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bernie Sanders Comments On Campus Rape, And Totally Drops The Ball
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders Comments On Campus Rape, And Totally Drops The Ball  (Read 3176 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2016, 03:18:53 PM »

link-Huff Post
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
That's apparently wrong to some people.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »

Funnily, Dunn, Brodsky, et al. seem to be having the same problem recognizing that a statement does not necessarily imply its contrapositive that All Lives Matter people (pretend to) have.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:39:53 PM »

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bernie's comments.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »

Honestly? Bernie is right. These are fake feminists who are using that term to describe themselves so that people actually listen to them.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 04:17:31 PM »

Honestly? Bernie is right. These are fake feminists who are using that term to describe themselves so that people actually listen to them.

He is, and these activists calling him "uninformed" are not making any sense. It doesn't have to be either/or. Police can investigate the rape while the offending student can be temporarily moved out of the class or disciplined in other ways if the situation warrants it. I didn't see anything from Sanders to suggest that he is against such action.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bernie's comments.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 12:46:22 AM »

Horribly done dead0man. There is nothing wrong with Bernie's comments here.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 01:43:54 AM »

The objection of the "activists" is that they want witch-hunt Inquisition tribunals to ruin the lives of the accused without due process because it's "totes feminist" and "like totally 2016".
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:26:50 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 05:03:59 AM »

I just posted the article, I didn't write it or stand by it.  I, like always, am making fun of these people.  Bernie is the furthest left potential President in a long long time and these people keep giving him sh**t.  It's funny.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »

The somewhat strange part of Sanders' comments is when he said: "too many schools see this as a student issue: let's deal with it."  Actually, Title IX requires schools to do an independent investigation and take measures to prevent students from being sexually harassed or harmed, even as a police investigation may be separately conducted.  It's not about the schools thinking or not thinking it should be a student issue--federal law compels schools to treat it as a student issue.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »

He didn't say the schools can't deal with it, he is saying the law MUST deal with it.  I don't understand the logic in not wanting a violent rapist prosecuted or a crime not properly investigated by professionals.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »

Of course police must investigate allegations of violent crime and sexual assault.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »

Sanders continues to be totally clueless when he's forced to be any more specific than simply yelling about "MILLIONAIRES AND BILLIONAIRES."
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »

Sanders continues to be totally clueless when he's forced to be any more specific than simply yelling about "MILLIONAIRES AND BILLIONAIRES."

By all means, elaborate.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 10:29:51 AM »

Yeah, let's be clear - they're angry at him because he doesn't support extralegal campus tribunals that can expel and blacklist male students with no proof regardless of the legal system clearing them.

This is the first thing he's said that I can actually support.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »

I think the issue is that he sounds remarkably phony about any issue that isn't about income inequality. Every time he answers a question about anything that doesn't have to do with money, his answers sound as if they were written up for him without any sort of personal thought.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2016, 01:39:15 PM by Wolverine22 »

I really hope the next president undos the Obama administration's policy change where now consensual drunk sex is now rape. All it does is allow jilted exes and cause good kids to have their lives ruined because they had consensual sex. Yes means yes is an absolute joke. What are you supposed to do, say every single time,

"In accordance with California Penal Code 917.4653817, section A, subsection J, I am required to ask for your complete consent to continue with this act of coitus. You are advised that at any time you may revoke this consent and banish me to the bathroom with a bottle of lotion. Do you approve? Should I put this in writing?"
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »

I really hope the next president undos the Obama administration's policy change where now consensual drunk sex is now rape. All it does is allow jilted exes and cause good kids to have their lives ruined because they had consensual sex. Yes means yes is an absolute joke. What are you supposed to do, say every single time,

"In accordance with California Penal Code 917.4653817, section A, subsection J, I am required to ask for your complete consent to continue with this act of coitus. You are advised that at any time you may revoke this consent and banish me to the bathroom with a bottle of lotion. Do you approve? Can I get this in writing?

Agreed. The Department of Education recommendations that rape tribunals have a preponderance standard unlike every other crime is very troublesome. A federal judge recently agreed.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virginia/w-l-student-expelled-for-sexual-assault-is-allowed-to/article_b599a12b-e558-578f-bc75-3d666b2b237a.html
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »

^ And honestly this gets on my nerves in particular because worries about the arbitrary lowering of the burden of proof is specifically the sort of thing feminists often portray as a wacky crackpot slippery slope conspiracy theory. Except this is actually something they're pushing for and is actually being done in their spheres of influence. When combined with the line that "Actually only like 2% of rape accusations are false" (something there is no intellectually honest way to substantiate) a preponderance approach literally results in "if a woman accuses someone of rape on campus, they're gone." The exact thing feminists claim is baseless fearmongering.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're fake feminists, but I agree that Bernie is in the right in this case, unless someone can convince me otherwise.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 11:07:35 PM »

Hackish much?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 12:44:05 AM »

Hackish much?

No. Lief is the least hackish person on this forum.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 01:16:12 PM »

I think nearly everyone has a lot of valid concerns with the  preponderance issue.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »

Look, Bernie's base mostly consists of MRAs on the internet. You can't blame the guy for hedging a bit.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies