Your last meal on death row
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:03:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your last meal on death row
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Your last meal on death row  (Read 4096 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »

This thread seriously makes me reconsider my view on the death penalty.

As in becoming more or less supportive? Because I can't remember what your views on it are. Tongue
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 11:09:20 PM »

As in becoming more or less supportive? Because I can't remember what your views on it are. Tongue
Less supportive. I have always supported the death penalty, but only in cases where it is extremely clear that someone has murdered someone (or multiple people). However, this silly question makes me question my views because I simply can't imagine what it feels like to be sitting in one's cell knowing that it will be over soon; it doesn't seem like a humane form of punishment. I have recently been thinking about this issue more often anyway.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 12:02:41 AM »

because I simply can't imagine what it feels like to be sitting in one's cell knowing that it will be over soon

Life in prison, especially years in solitary is far worse if you ask me. Imagine spending a year or two in solitary? 23 hours a day by yourself, with nothing but your thoughts. Most people end up losing it. For prolific killers or people who need protection, this is more common to end up in such a situation. It seems far less humane to do that to a person then to just put them out of their misery, if you ask me anyway.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »

because I simply can't imagine what it feels like to be sitting in one's cell knowing that it will be over soon

Life in prison, especially years in solitary is far worse if you ask me. Imagine spending a year or two in solitary? 23 hours a day by yourself, with nothing but your thoughts. Most people end up losing it. For prolific killers or people who need protection, this is more common to end up in such a situation. It seems far less humane to do that to a person then to just put them out of their misery, if you ask me anyway.

Yeah, I never understood solitary confinement. I mean, if he did something so bad that he needs to be completely isolated, why not just kill the poor bastard?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 02:59:10 AM »

Yeah, I never understood solitary confinement. I mean, if he did something so bad that he needs to be completely isolated, why not just kill the poor bastard?

I get what you're saying, but at the same time I can't see how any otherwise libertarian (in your case domestically) person can be in favor of the government having the ability to end people's lives. I'm hesitant to think that much certainty (and it needs to be 100%--99.9% won't cut it) is possible to achieve--and even if it is in some cases, it's a frightening precedent to set in case they do get it wrong.

I'd much rather a chance to live, even if it's an incredibly slight one. Maybe that's just my fear of death, though--I could see how someone at peace with the concept could easily prefer execution.

(Also, this discussion makes me think of Chekhov's "The Bet." Although I do not plan to replicate the events of said story.)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 08:30:43 AM »

When did this go from a last meal question to a debate about the death penalty?  Shouldn't we make another thread for that?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »

I agree.  If someone's serving a life sentence without a chance of parole and they act up in prison to the extent of requiring long (as in, 1+ years) stays in solitary confinement, I'd say it's time for the bullet.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »

I feel like the death penalty should generally not be used, but a convict who's been sentenced to life in prison should be able to request it.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 04:46:04 PM »

Agreed.  If I were convicted of a crime that was punishable by death, I would beg for the death penalty because of this.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 12:57:59 PM »

Haggis.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »

Apparently Texas abolished the last meal tradition after a guy ordered the following:

"Two chicken-fried steaks with gravy and sliced onions, a triple-patty bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, jalapeños, a bowl of fried okra with ketchup, a pound of barbecued meat with half of a loaf of white bread, a portion of three fajitas, a meat-lover’s pizza (topped with pepperoni, ham, beef, bacon, and sausage), a pint of Blue Bell, a serving of ice cream, a slab of peanut-butter fudge with crushed peanuts, and a serving equivalent to three root beers"

And then declared he was not hungry Tongue

Uncivilized brutes.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »

Apparently Texas abolished the last meal tradition after a guy ordered the following:

"Two chicken-fried steaks with gravy and sliced onions, a triple-patty bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, jalapeños, a bowl of fried okra with ketchup, a pound of barbecued meat with half of a loaf of white bread, a portion of three fajitas, a meat-lover’s pizza (topped with pepperoni, ham, beef, bacon, and sausage), a pint of Blue Bell, a serving of ice cream, a slab of peanut-butter fudge with crushed peanuts, and a serving equivalent to three root beers"

And then declared he was not hungry Tongue

Uncivilized brutes.
Don't they make them eat Nutri-loaf© now?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 10:23:04 PM »

Kiera Knightly
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 10:25:10 PM »

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »

Appetizers:
Garlic bread
Mozzarella sticks
Chicken noodle soup (preferably the Souplantation recipe)

Main course:
Pork katsu with curry rice
Jambalaya with extra sausage and chicken, no shrimp
Extra crispy chicken breasts from KFC
German style potato salad
Carne Asada fries
Bratwurst

Dessert:
Chocolate and vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup, crushed Oreos, Kit Kat, and Heath bars
Slice of chocolate cake

Drink:
Cream soda
Mountain Dew
Orange Cream soda
Cherry Coke
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »

bruh i would want veggie burrito from chipotle and iced pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks

a basic white girl even in death
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »

would go something like this

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2020, 05:54:49 PM by Clarko95 »

A nice British steak & ale pie with mash and veggies on the side. Bottle or two of Franziskaner beer.

Dessert would just be a good cup of Darjeeling tea, with milk and sugar.

Nothing complicated.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2020, 10:42:12 PM »

Am I the only one who simply doesn't want to think of this?

I agree. Maybe I would feel differently if I was in that position. I am certainly one to go overboard with indulgent food. But when I started to think about what my answer is I got really depressed and I just don’t feel like I could enjoy anything I’d I’m staring death in the face that closely.

Also to note, I’m strongly anti-death penalty.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »

Tacos
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »

I read once an study that people who were executed but later turned out to be innocent usually refused the last meal tradition and just went with whatever they were scheduled to eat; so I'd probably do that in the hopes that people think I am innocent.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2020, 11:25:44 AM »

I read once an study that people who were executed but later turned out to be innocent usually refused the last meal tradition and just went with whatever they were scheduled to eat; so I'd probably do that in the hopes that people think I am innocent.

Fortunately your Article 15 and my Article 27 guarantee that we will never have this problem.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:13 AM »

I would order enough food to kill me before the feds get the chance.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »

Starter: Seared salmon
Main: Sirloin with garlic butter, truffle and parmesan fries and a green salad
Dessert: Chocolate fondant with vanilla ice cream
Drink: Still water with the starter and main, cold milk with the dessert