From the 14 centrists - will any suffer consequences or will they gain. if who?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:04:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  From the 14 centrists - will any suffer consequences or will they gain. if who?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: From the 14 centrists - will any suffer consequences or will they gain. if who?  (Read 2023 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2005, 09:50:47 AM »

Republicans
John McCain (Arizona)
Olympia Snowe (Maine)
Susan Collins (Maine)
John Warner (Virginia)
Lindsay Graham (South Carolina)
Mike Dewine (Ohio)
Lincoln Chafee (Rhode Island)

Democrats
Robert Byrd (West Virginia)
Mark Pryor (Arkansas)
Ben Nelson (Nebraska)
Mary Landrieu (Louisiana)
Joe Lieberman (Connecticut)
Daniel Inouye (Hawaii)
Ken Salazar (Colorado)

James Dobson is absolutely furious with these 14 senators. He has said that he will target them and they will pay for what they did.
No doubt  a far right republican will go after Mike Dewine in 2006.
Lindsay Graham is going to take alot of heat from this and he is without doubt the man who has taken the biggest risk. The people in south carolina are going to hit the roof when they find out that he was one of the republican senators that went agaisnt the far religious right. But he can definitely be President now. he would get my vote above everyone except Mary off course.

John McCain continues to be in a win win situation. so his chances have increased dramatically. Especially if the far right continue stupid antics. Definite chances in 08.

From the democrats, Ken Salazaar has profited. he said in his elecion campaign that judges deserve an up and down vote. so he has kept that promise. Ben Nelson the man in the middle i`m sure is desperate to get his seante race over with. The poor guy is under so much pressure that it would be a shame if he lost his seat. but it is always likely in Nebraksa.

Mary Landreiu will get re-elected, along with the maine seantors and i think we can alos add Lincoln Chafee to the list.

Mark Pryor does have the look of President. Little more expeirence and he could be a great nominee for the party.

Who might lose
Mike Dewine
Lindsay Graham
Ben Nelson
John McCain
Ken Salazar
Mary Landrieu
Mark Pryor

The religious right will never forget what these senators have done. IT WAS A VICTROY FOR AMERICA. AND I WISH ALL THEM WELL IN WHAT EVER THEY WISH TO DO IN AMERICAN POLITICS.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 01:32:31 PM »

I agree!  Graham has got my vote for re-election (I've been thinking about it for several months).
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 01:43:28 PM »

While I am usually a fan of compromise I think this is only delaying the battle.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:08:15 PM »

Unless one believes we live in a dictatorship, this is win-win for everybody. Do we all want 100% of what we want? Sure we do, but it's not a one-person democracy. Do I like the judges getting through on this deal? No, not at all, but I sure as hell like it that Republicans and Democrats can work together again for us and not merely for the agenda of a top heavy party (or two).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 02:29:31 PM »

While I am usually a fan of compromise I think this is only delaying the battle.

Agreed.  The battle will probably surface at the next SC nominee, imo.

The only election this will possibly affect is 2006, because I think it will come up again before then.  By 2008, unless it's still an issue in 2007, no one will care.

That gives us these candidates that it could potentially affect:

Rep.
Lincoln Chafee
Olympia Snowe
Mike DeWine

Dem.
Ben Nelson
Robert Byrd
Joe Lieberman

By my own personal bets, Snowe, DeWine, Byrd and Lieberman will face no problems in their elections regardless of this, so there's no reason to include them.

That leaves Nelson and Chafee.  To those two, I would add two more non-signatores on that list:  Santorum and Conrad, as two that could possibly be affected by this issue.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 02:44:56 PM »

Next chief justice gets decided in about a month.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 03:31:11 PM »

McCain is on his last term in the Senate (up in 2010) and probably won't run in 2008 for President.  Dobson won't ever have his chance with him.  Plus regestered independents can vote in Arizona primaries so even if this is an issue and he runs in 2010 there won't be enough anger left among the base to keep him from winning the primary.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 09:27:08 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2005, 09:33:11 PM by The Vorlon »

Relative newcomers Lindsay Graham (never a far right favorite anyway) and Ken Salazar continue to impress...

Salazar... dark horse for 2008 Dem nomination... you read it here first.... Wink

This filibuster issue is one I am legitimately divided upon.

Firstly, the notion that it would "destroy" the senate is just &&*&^ - civility exists, or it doesn't, that is a situation that is 100% independent of a rule change or a procedural vote.  The "nuclear option" is a symptom of the problem, not the problem it's self..

Secondly, the notion that the GOP is trying to change the rules unfairly is also ^&^%$..

Mr. Robert Byrd himself stage manged a procedural vote (not too different than what the GOP was plotting) to lower the filibuster rule from 67 to 60 a few years back...  Since Mr. Byrd himself has stage managed the moving of the line - it strikes me a more than a bit disingenuous for the Dems to complain about the  moving of a line they themselves have previously moved...

Every since Robert Bork got "Borked" ("Borked" BTW is now officially a work according to the OED) these judicial nominations have gotten more and more ugly.

It will be interesting to see how the "Gaggle of 14" choose to define "extra-ordinary circumstances" to filibuster.

If the 7 Dems can actually be trusted, this may be a good thing for the senate, if the are just stage acting to gain a few political points and go back to filibustering and "blue slips" at the drop of the hat, well... the GOP "moderates" will then just have been hoodwinked... again....

On the GOP side Olympia Snowe, Collins, Warner, Graham and Dewine can be trusted, on the Dem side Pryor, Nelson ,  Landrieu, Lieberman and (probably) Salazar can be trusted, as for the other 4.. well.... we will see...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 11:17:23 PM »

I don't care about Chief Justice, it's a mostly ceremonial position. I'd be perfectly happy with a compromise where Scalia becomes CJ if a moderate takes Rehnquist's place.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 11:23:41 PM »

UPDATE:

Daniel Inouye (Hawaii), not that anybody actually believed him, has ALREADY broken his word - despite signing on to the deal to bring the Owen Nomination to the floor, he actually voted to sustain the fillibuster in tonights vote..

Hmmm... breaking a high profile deal in under 24 hours... is that a record...?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 11:28:03 PM »

I have a feeling this "deal" is going to turn into a free-for-all barroom brawl...

Democrats vs Democrats
Republicans vs Republicans
Republicans vs Democrats
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 11:28:54 PM »

UPDATE:

Daniel Inouye (Hawaii), not that anybody actually believed him, has ALREADY broken his word - despite signing on to the deal to bring the Owen Nomination to the floor, he actually voted to sustain the fillibuster in tonights vote..

Well, that name looked weird on a list of "centrists" anyway. I'm not surprised.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 03:52:49 AM »

I don't care about Chief Justice, it's a mostly ceremonial position. I'd be perfectly happy with a compromise where Scalia becomes CJ if a moderate takes Rehnquist's place.

Obviously the Democrats won't waste their time fillibustering something like that.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 12:05:51 PM »

Suffer?  Well, I'm not sure if he would suffer, but I was a bit surprised to see John Warner side by side with Byrd.  Those two have a history of their own for the past 3 decades.  Fortunately no one seriously challenges Warner for his Senate seat in VA.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 05:22:31 PM »

Republicans
John McCain (Arizona)
Olympia Snowe (Maine)
Susan Collins (Maine)
John Warner (Virginia)
Mike Dewine (Ohio)

Democrats
Mark Pryor (Arkansas)
Ben Nelson (Nebraska)
Daniel Inouye (Hawaii)
Ken Salazar (Colorado)

Honestly, who named these guys?  Inouye, Byrd, Warner, Graham, and DeWine are no centrists.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 05:28:05 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2005, 05:30:40 PM by jfern »

Republicans
John McCain (Arizona)
Olympia Snowe (Maine)
Susan Collins (Maine)
John Warner (Virginia)
Mike Dewine (Ohio)

Democrats
Mark Pryor (Arkansas)
Ben Nelson (Nebraska)
Daniel Inouye (Hawaii)
Ken Salazar (Colorado)

Honestly, who named these guys?  Inouye, Byrd, Warner, Graham, and DeWine are no centrists.

The Republicans are so right-wing that Warner and Graham are some of the most moderate. While Byrd has a good liberal record on many issues, he did vote for the bankruptcy bill. Inouye is also bad on certain issues (like ANWR).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 01:22:36 AM »

Graham had already picked up heat from the extreme right for daring to publicly recognize that private accounts by themselves won't solve Social Security's problems.  He's not up for reelection until 2010, but even if the right wing still has enough of a mad-on to put up a serious contender, the problem is who can they get?

I can't see any of our four GOP Representatives as being willing to step up for an intra-party brawl at the cost of giving up a safe House seat.  By 2010, Sanford will either be President, have run for President and failed, or have been sufficiently mauled in 2006 Governor's race that he didn't have enough momentum to run for President.  Besides, Sanford isn't a party hack either, so I strongly doubt that a Sanford/Grahmn primary is possible.   If Lt. Gov. Bauer manages to get reelected, he'll be too busy running against Inez in the Governor's race to worry about a Senate seat.  Attorney General McMaster is a possibility, but he lost statewide races in 1986 and 1990, (US Senate and Lt. Gov. respectively).  He's shown that he’s not a strong campaigner on his own; he won the party nomination for Attorney General in 2002 based largely on name recognition from being the party chairman for six years and he won the general election based largely on the GOP bandwagon. I don't see McMaster as being a credible threat  to Graham.  None of the other statewide constitutional officers are even worth mentioning as contenders.

In short, I see only two ways that Graham is not the Republican nominee in 2010.  The first is that Bauer loses the Lt. Gov. primary next year so that the a different GOP Lt. Gov. can try to unseat Graham.  The second is that President Sanford offers Graham a Cabinet post.

If by some unforseen chance the right wing does manage to pick off Graham in 2010, then unless the Democrats run a unelectable fruitcake, they'll pick up what should be a reasonably safe GOP Senate seat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 03:45:57 AM »

UPDATE:

BUSTED! He wasn't there, you liar.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00127
Bob Dole '96
mpirner
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 03:26:58 AM »

The religious right will never forget what these senators have done. IT WAS A VICTROY FOR AMERICA. AND I WISH ALL THEM WELL IN WHAT EVER THEY WISH TO DO IN AMERICAN POLITICS.

they all need to go...what's the point of winning elections if you dont do anything once you get in?

i hope they all lose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies