Another question for Republicans who are against affirmative action
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:20:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Another question for Republicans who are against affirmative action
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Another question for Republicans who are against affirmative action  (Read 3360 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 12:00:51 AM »
« edited: May 25, 2005, 12:03:11 AM by phknrocket1k »

My school was hardly failing at all, and it wasn't one of those disgusting sickening travesties that are private schools. Private schools are only for parents who are elitist f**cks who are afraid their kids might actually interact with poor people. They are a disgusting cancer on America.

Private school kids are at least good for thier party houses, $$$ and generally are actually willing to provide money for booze and blunts.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 11:09:29 AM »

My school was hardly failing at all, and it wasn't one of those disgusting sickening travesties that are private schools. Private schools are only for parents who are elitist f**cks who are afraid their kids might actually interact with poor people. They are a disgusting cancer on America.

Private school kids are at least good for thier party houses, $$$ and generally are actually willing to provide money for booze and blunts.

Funny, I've known people who've gone to private school whose parents were not elitist s in any sense, nor did the school have any party houses. Roll Eyes
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 11:16:45 AM »

I must admit a certain lack of sophistication here.  Until I started posting in this forum I seriously had no idea that sending your children to private schools would get you labelled a racist, elitist, classist, or snob.  I knew it would get you labelled one of those nerds who had to wear funny clothes and stay later when all the other kids got to go out and play, but really I hadn't guessed it was one of those phenomenon associated with abject elitism.  I'm pretty sure that this is one of those Emperor's New Clothes views with just a hint of Sour Grapes.  To look back and say that you'd rather have experienced jockocracy and mediocrity instead of the sort of preparation that prepares one for a life of appreciation of nature, history, and arts smacks of bitterness.

That said, I also noticed at a young age that Republicans always had better parties than Democrats, since they could afford cocaine as well as weed.  No kidding.  So I think phknrocket1k's comment, while perhaps in jest, contains a valid truth.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 11:35:19 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2005, 11:40:49 AM by phknrocket1k »

did the school have any party houses. Roll Eyes

The kids however were super-rich and did have houses that were off the hook. Believe me..

and I went to an upper-class public school, where half the kids were latte-liberals and the other half latte-conservatives, and was still amazed.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 11:38:11 AM »

The kids however were super-rich and did have houses that were off the hook. Believe me..

and I went to an upper-class public school and was still amazed.

No, no they didn't. This wasn't a super rich school, really. It was just a high quality private school in our little town, and it was not at all unaffordable for those of modest means.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2005, 11:42:26 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2005, 11:51:52 AM by phknrocket1k »

and I went to an upper-class public school and was still amazed.

No, no they didn't. This wasn't a super rich school, really. It was just a high quality private school in our little town, and it was not at all unaffordable for those of modest means.

Well over here, theres only 1 Private School, right in the middle of a crappy school district. Which obviously means that those rich kids unfortunate enough to be resdistricted into Fresno Unified went there.

Even the Bullard area, which isn't all that bad had kids sent to the private school. Hoover is blue-collar, the rest is pretty ghetto and any rich kid that was unfortunately "districted" into a certain school in this district used Memorial (our private school) to get out

My district was just up north, Clovis, which was middle-to-upper-class public, white-asian flight suburban area.  Middle Class Republicans, Latte Conservatives, Latte Liberals were the rage.

http://www.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/map/images/2004-2005_SchoolBoundari.png
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2005, 01:07:05 PM »

Fwiw, as a Democrat, I have long been against affirmative action and legacies, much like Harry.

Honestly though, the best way to give people a little help if needed, should be based upon their economic situation, not their skin color.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2005, 04:34:42 PM »

I must admit a certain lack of sophistication here.  Until I started posting in this forum I seriously had no idea that sending your children to private schools would get you labelled a racist, elitist, classist, or snob.  I knew it would get you labelled one of those nerds who had to wear funny clothes and stay later when all the other kids got to go out and play, but really I hadn't guessed it was one of those phenomenon associated with abject elitism.  I'm pretty sure that this is one of those Emperor's New Clothes views with just a hint of Sour Grapes.  To look back and say that you'd rather have experienced jockocracy and mediocrity instead of the sort of preparation that prepares one for a life of appreciation of nature, history, and arts smacks of bitterness.

That said, I also noticed at a young age that Republicans always had better parties than Democrats, since they could afford cocaine as well as weed.  No kidding.  So I think phknrocket1k's comment, while perhaps in jest, contains a valid truth.

Don't consider yourself unsophisticated. Until I moved from MN after college to New England for grad school, I had a very limited view of private HS as well. Going to HS and college in MN, I was only aware of two types of private HS: catholic schools for those who wanted their children to have "religion" and prep schools that did have an elitist reputation. Then again MN had a very strong reputation in the 1970's for its investment in public schools, and everyone was expected to appreciate that.

One of my good friends in college also went to New England where she was hired to teach at a private HS. We bothy learned that though there are elite prep schools in that region, there are a lot of fairly ordinary private HS and it is considered fairly normal to send children to one instead of the local public school. It's just considered to be part of the cost of raising children, and the private schools have endowments to help economically disadvantaged families.
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2005, 05:12:53 PM »

Fwiw, as a Democrat, I have long been against affirmative action and legacies, much like Harry.

Honestly though, the best way to give people a little help if needed, should be based upon their economic situation, not their skin color.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Maybe there was a very brief time back in the 1960s when someone may have thought, hey this is a good idea, but that time passed a LONG, LONG time ago and like so many government programs, unfortunately this one has become institutionalized. It's too bad the Democrats have forgotten about justice in the name of politics.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2005, 08:39:16 PM »

Economic situation is a terrible thing to base affirmative action off of. Race is better.

I oppose legacy affirmative action, but it is constitutional, unlike race-based.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies