Populism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:43:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Populism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Populism  (Read 2333 times)
TB
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »

What kind of role does populism play in American politics? Why does populism play better in America than in Europe?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 01:30:36 PM »

Declining role in CA.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:45:20 PM »

What kind of role does populism play in American politics? Why does populism play better in America than in Europe?

If you mean populism as in "movement of the people," it plays a big role in the conservative Christian movement, and a declining role in the labour movement.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 03:51:40 PM »

It plays a big role.  America leans populist.  The Ross Perot campaign was somewhat populist, and he would have possibly won the 1992 election if he would have stayed in the campaign.  There's a lot of room at the moment for a populist third party here, since both parties have strayed away from it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:56:21 PM »

Populism is a dead ideology that no one I've ever met supports.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 04:06:57 PM »

You've met me.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 04:15:35 PM »

It plays a big role.  America leans populist.  The Ross Perot campaign was somewhat populist, and he would have possibly won the 1992 election if he would have stayed in the campaign.  There's a lot of room at the moment for a populist third party here, since both parties have strayed away from it.

I think you mean: both parties are in it to their necks.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »

Populism is much more tolerable than the brand of libertarianism that many on this forum (looks at Bono) and in politics (looks at the LP) hawk.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 06:05:36 PM »

Are you kidding? Populism is the majority in America and has been for decades.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 06:12:03 PM »

Are you kidding?  Both parties are rejecting it completely.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 06:24:54 PM »

I agree with Preston. Even though the GOP has begun moving left economically under Bush, that's mainly due to insane spending, most of it on pork and other non-entitlement spending. I do think that the GOP is going to become the new populist leaning party over the next twenty so years.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 06:28:28 PM »

Are YOU KIDDING??? The GOP is doing nothing but moving left economically and right socially in the past couple years, and so are the Democrats.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 12:55:11 PM »

Are YOU KIDDING??? The GOP is doing nothing but moving left economically and right socially in the past couple years, and so are the Democrats.

The Democrats are moving right ecnomically and left-socially.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 12:56:36 PM »

plurality? probably. majority? no.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 01:01:57 PM »

Hah, I see thefactor is still living in his dream world.

The GOP is doing nothing but moving right economically, and staying in place socially.

They have not moved "left" on any issue except spending, and that is a short term phenomenon.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 02:11:54 PM »

Hah, I see thefactor is still living in his dream world.

The GOP is doing nothing but moving right economically, and staying in place socially.

They have not moved "left" on any issue except spending, and that is a short term phenomenon.

they have moved left in healthcare and education, at least.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »

Not relative to the Democrats, but okay, I see your point. They have gone spending crazy in the short term.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 08:17:45 PM »

Not relative to the Democrats, but okay, I see your point. They have gone spending crazy in the short term.

What is short term is the GOP's support of social security privatization, which they will drop soon if they haven't already. Its a losing issue for them and what they care about is winning. Their support of big government programs and erosion of civil liberties, however, is permanent.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2005, 08:20:33 PM »

In the short term? I don't really see any attempts by the Bush administration to limit spending whatsoever. Bush seems to have abandoned any attempts to keep government small.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 08:29:41 PM »

Bush is still going around the country pushing for privatization, and plenty of senators support the idea. In the long term, it will pass, and your assertion that we'll drop it is baseless, much like this joke about us eroding civil liberties by temporarily expanding search and seizure powers.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 01:16:25 PM »

plurality? probably. majority? no.

You know, I wish there would be a deep, serious poll on the ideological orientation of Americans, something better than fluff polls of 'Dem-Rep-Ind' or 'Lib-Mod-Con'.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 07:50:35 PM »

In the long term, it will pass

Yes, the long term, as in 2300? LOL. "Stargate, log... today Social Security Reform passed." LOL!!

If Republicans wanted to pass it, they could have passed it long ago. As for erosion of civil liberties, yes, this "war on terror" will never end and this president is acting like a dictator more and more.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 08:25:49 PM »

Uh, no, more like 2007 or 2009.

Explain to me how the Republicans could have passed it long ago when you need 60 votes to achieve cloture, and they haven't had 60 votes since the 1920s, if then? They couldn't, and you have no clue at all what you're talking about.

Terrorism is not a civil liberty. Prosecuting libel is not a dictatorial tactic. Sorry, your dictators are Lincoln, Wilson, and FDR.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 08:32:31 PM »

Uh, no, more like 2007 or 2009.

Yeah, just far away enough so I'll forget to call you out on it by the time it's apparent it won't happen.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You are ing clueless man, how did the Republicans pass anythign? The Democrats haven't had to filibuster or even threat to filibuster and there HAS been an argument about the filibuster in case you havent noticed, but it has nothing to do with SS.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, Bush is more dictatorial than any of them ever were. Their wars had definite ends. This one does not.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 08:42:46 PM »

No, that would be after the midterm elections in which the GOP can get enough seats and momentum to pass this thing.

This is what I get for talking to a ing idiot who thinks he knows everything. Maybe you should go get a clue before you act like an arrogant prick. Reid rallied the Democrats behind him, saying they'll filibuster any change to Social Security that includes private accounts.

Yeah. Checking library records is far more dictatorial than censoring the press, throwing thousands of Americans in internment camps, suspending the writ of habeas corpus unconstitutionally, and placing states under martial law. Oh, and burning cities to the ground in a place you insist never left the union.

In 10 years, the war is over.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies