Populism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:37:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Populism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Populism  (Read 2355 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: May 24, 2005, 06:05:36 PM »

Populism is a dead ideology that no one I've ever met supports.

Are you kidding? Populism is the majority in America and has been for decades.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 06:28:28 PM »

It plays a big role.  America leans populist.  The Ross Perot campaign was somewhat populist, and he would have possibly won the 1992 election if he would have stayed in the campaign.  There's a lot of room at the moment for a populist third party here, since both parties have strayed away from it.

I think you mean: both parties are in it to their necks.
Are you kidding?  Both parties are rejecting it completely.
Are YOU KIDDING??? The GOP is doing nothing but moving left economically and right socially in the past couple years, and so are the Democrats.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 08:17:45 PM »

Not relative to the Democrats, but okay, I see your point. They have gone spending crazy in the short term.

What is short term is the GOP's support of social security privatization, which they will drop soon if they haven't already. Its a losing issue for them and what they care about is winning. Their support of big government programs and erosion of civil liberties, however, is permanent.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 07:50:35 PM »

In the long term, it will pass

Yes, the long term, as in 2300? LOL. "Stargate, log... today Social Security Reform passed." LOL!!

If Republicans wanted to pass it, they could have passed it long ago. As for erosion of civil liberties, yes, this "war on terror" will never end and this president is acting like a dictator more and more.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 08:32:31 PM »

Uh, no, more like 2007 or 2009.

Yeah, just far away enough so I'll forget to call you out on it by the time it's apparent it won't happen.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You are ing clueless man, how did the Republicans pass anythign? The Democrats haven't had to filibuster or even threat to filibuster and there HAS been an argument about the filibuster in case you havent noticed, but it has nothing to do with SS.

No, Bush is more dictatorial than any of them ever were. Their wars had definite ends. This one does not.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:52:46 PM »

No, that would be after the midterm elections in which the GOP can get enough seats and momentum to pass this thing.

Um, if you expect 4 consecutive election wins, somethign that has never happened in U.S. history outside of a Great-Depression like event, then you are exhibiting a despicable amount of hubris and America will soon be a fascist state if what you say comes true.

Arrogant prick? You are the one who started this name calling d*mbass, I am simply responding in kind. I see absolutely ZERO evidence in anything I've ever said to justify your comments, however. Too bad you have to resort to personal attacks instead of refuting the arguments, which you have yet to do. Reid can't do anything because he's only the leader of 44 senators, so I don't see what he has to do with this.

Um, the difference is that in a war, the president can do those things, but that's recognized as an expctional circumstance. Who are you to delcare the war is over in 10 years? It wont be over in 10 years just as it didn't start on 9/11/01... terrorism has been around since the 1970s and it will still be around in 10 years or 20 years or 30 years, because it is an action and not a government. This loss of civil liberties is permanent.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 09:00:23 PM »

How can something be not permanent enough?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 09:07:32 PM »

I said 2007 or 2009, as in the GOP will win one or the other.

You said "midterm"

I said the U.S. would soon become fascist. I didn't give any definition. Perhaps I was exaggerating a little, but it would definitely be very exceptional and historically unprecedented to have another GOP win in '06 without a major upheaval.

THis is the same thing you said before. You know I know what cloture is, but the fact is, the debate over cloture has nothing to do with social security. The Republicans didn't make the Democrats promise they wouldn't filibuster social security reform this week as part of their "compromise". It was all about judges. You know it and I know it. The GOP can get legislation passed if it wants, and the fact is they've had the better part of 4 1/2 years to do it (heck, Bush campaigned in 2000 for social security reform) and haven't even made a proposal yet. They WON'T do it. Because they are now dominated by big-government types, that's why.

I would like to see the GOP try and pass a social security reform bill and force the Democrats to filibuster it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies