Rhode Island Politics - Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:15:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rhode Island Politics - Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rhode Island Politics - Discussion  (Read 3773 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »

Was Lincoln Chafee a good governor or senator at all?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »

He had no scandals. He was a block of granite ideologically.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 04:13:23 AM »

He had no scandals. He was a block of granite ideologically.

I don't think that's a particularly apt term for someone who kept on changing parties.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »

If they are going to make fun of Rhode Island for being small, then they should make fun of Delaware too. Delaware has even less people and, from what I've heard, boring.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »

If they are going to make fun of Rhode Island for being small, then they should make fun of Delaware too. Delaware has even less people and, from what I've heard, boring.

I was trying to find jokes about Delaware's size, but all I got was a bunch of stuff about Christine O'Donnell Tongue.

Seriously, though. Population isn't what determines jokes about size -- if that were the case we'd have loads of jokes about how small Wyoming is.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »

I'd never make fun of a state which was represented by the scandal-less Lincoln Chafee.
I also used to live there, but that pales in comparison to Chafee.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 10:44:57 PM »

Chafee was a pretty trash Governor, ended extremely unpopular and did not run for re-election for that reason.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 11:51:02 PM »

Chafee was a pretty trash Governor, ended extremely unpopular and did not run for re-election for that reason.
But I don't think it was really Chafee's fault. He was elected in a 4-way race, and RI was usually the #2 worst state in the country with its economy, and improving to now be around #10.

It could be a lot better, but the Governor of RI is pretty much powerless. He had an agenda but managed to get most of it done, including gay marriage and immigration reform. Which is more than Raimondo so far, who hasn't even proposed anything after a year.

It was that damn "Holiday Tree" "scandal" that hurt him the most. That and, as the 2016 primary debate showed, he's not the best PR spokesperson.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 08:34:04 AM »

But I don't think it was really Chafee's fault. He was elected in a 4-way race, and RI was usually the #2 worst state in the country with its economy, and improving to now be around #10.

It could be a lot better, but the Governor of RI is pretty much powerless. He had an agenda but managed to get most of it done, including gay marriage and immigration reform. Which is more than Raimondo so far, who hasn't even proposed anything after a year.

It was that damn "Holiday Tree" "scandal" that hurt him the most. That and, as the 2016 primary debate showed, he's not the best PR spokesperson.

I'm not crazy about the word "holiday tree", which I don't understand why it even exists, but they shouldn't be giving Lincoln Chafee flak over using it. If they are going to give him flak over it, then they should give the other governors of Rhode Island flak for also using it just to be consistent.
indysaff
reapersaff
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 11:43:10 PM »

RI House just passed Raimondo's Truck Toll plan.

http://m.providencejournal.com/news/20160210/ri-house-passes-raimondos-truck-toll-plan
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 03:10:15 AM »

What do you think about it?

I'm kind of indifferent, lean negative, but understand there's budget concerns. Very meh.

Anyone watch her State of the State?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »

I find it interesting that Rhode Island has the strongest legislature in the country. What do you think is the reason for that?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »

Also, I find it unusual that Little Rhody had the Brayton Law.
indysaff
reapersaff
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 01:27:50 PM »

What do you think about it?

I'm kind of indifferent, lean negative, but understand there's budget concerns. Very meh.

Anyone watch her State of the State?

I'm okay with, though honestly the issue isn't of much importance to me. Im interested to see how it would turn out if it was on the ballot in November.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2016, 05:53:33 PM by Blue3 »

So... that new damn logo... huh? Ew? Wha...?

Or rather...

Also, Raimondo said she's open to legalizing marijuana, either on the ballot of by legislation.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2016, 11:22:07 PM »

So, interesting primary results...

Is this the beginning of RI Democrats finally turning on the RI Democratic establishment?

Trump also has his biggest victory so far here, and probably his biggest margin of victory of the year.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 12:11:38 AM »

Don't really know much about the state post Roger Williams.  I do know that somebody was dumb enough to give Curt Schilling $75 million and it wasn't to throw a baseball.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 08:49:07 PM »

Don't really know much about the state post Roger Williams.  I do know that somebody was dumb enough to give Curt Schilling $75 million and it wasn't to throw a baseball.

Kingdoms of Amalur was kinda cool. Best $75 million dollar mistake RI ever made.

I'm surprised by RI's primary. I voted for Clinton but I hope RI starts to primary all of the fake Democrats in office starting with our governor and lt. governor.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2016, 03:18:27 PM »

Well a bunch of fake Democrats in the RI General Assembly and Senate lost their primaries yesterday. What is going on in my state? First we vote for Bernie over Hilldawg and now this? Is Gina gonna lose her primary in a few years too?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »

Yeah, it wasn't as big of a wave as I wanted... but change is finally happening.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2016, 05:03:08 PM »

Rhode Island is a microcosm of the country this election... our coastal/educated/urban areas went for Hillary, and the rest for Trump.

As a RI Democrat, it's not surprising.

We're almost like a Rust-Belt state in the main cities, with lots of Catholic White Blue-Collar Workers (and some Hispanics), surrounded by suburban and rural Republican-leaning WASPs, and overall have an aging population with a lot of young adults of my generation moving out.

We have never really had progressive Democrats in charge... but the party machine is strong, with lots of DINOs, which is one of the only reasons why we're probably still so Democratic.
Soonerdem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2016, 07:45:07 PM »

Rhode Island is a microcosm of the country this election... our coastal/educated/urban areas went for Hillary, and the rest for Trump.

As a RI Democrat, it's not surprising.

We're almost like a Rust-Belt state in the main cities, with lots of Catholic White Blue-Collar Workers (and some Hispanics), surrounded by suburban and rural Republican-leaning WASPs, and overall have an aging population with a lot of young adults of my generation moving out.

We have never really had progressive Democrats in charge... but the party machine is strong, with lots of DINOs, which is one of the only reasons why we're probably still so Democratic.

Interesting. Could Rhode Island in a future in which the Trimp based white identity politics still rules become competitive? You know more about the Island then me what future do you see in its politics?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2017, 08:55:11 PM by Blue3 »

Governor Gina Raimondo is proposing 2 years of free college for in-state students of good academic standing at any state college/university (which in RI means the 6 CCRI community college campuses, Rhode Island College, University of Rhode Island at its 3 campuses).

Finally a bold initiative with vision! That's been sorely missing from Raimondo so far. The cost of college was one of her big campaign issues too, so finally seeing some action, it's the biggest reason why I've been disappointed with her so far. Looking forward to seeing the details soon. I don't agree with her on everything, but I've gotten to meet her or see her at different things about a dozen times over the last seven years, and she's very intelligent, she just needs to focus on some bold initiatives and it's great to see her finally doing that and making RI one of the states leading the charge on an important issue in a good way, instead of lagging behind like usually.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20170115/ri-students-to-get-free-tuition-for-2-years-at-state-colleges-under-raimondo-budget--poll
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies