Opinion of the people in Iran's underground house churches
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:02:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of the people in Iran's underground house churches
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the people in Iran's underground house churches
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Opinion of the people in Iran's underground house churches  (Read 1937 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:49:46 AM »
« edited: January 17, 2016, 12:53:48 AM by White Light »

I was thinking that based on the logic a lot of people here seem to adhere to you'd think the regime's persecution of them is in some way justifiable (or at least..."well they shouldn't be persecuted but it's still horrible how they abandon their culture or adhere to Americanized imported religion.")
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »

wut
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 03:39:08 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »

I have to say, I like them while they're still underground. /hipster
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:43:35 PM »

How is this even a question
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »

Because BRTD. That's why.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 05:30:26 PM »

Perhaps you should make this point a little bit more explicit so that we know what (and what Atlasians) you are talking about, BRTD, because I believe this thread has the potential to be more interesting than this, even if the answer to this specific question is of course "FFs (literally normal)".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 12:19:22 AM »

better than the people in Iran's above ground religious buildings
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 06:28:49 AM »

Perhaps you should make this point a little bit more explicit so that we know what (and what Atlasians) you are talking about, BRTD, because I believe this thread has the potential to be more interesting than this, even if the answer to this specific question is of course "FFs (literally normal)".

Let's put it another way and leave out the talk of "deserving to be persecuted".

Given that these people presumably practice an "Americanized" Protestantism which is often criticized heavily on Atlas, instead of one of the more liturgical faiths, is it fair to say that their FF status is entirely contingent on their being persecuted?

Or put another way, would most of Atlas be supportive if they practiced their faith openly and their ministers were expressing conservative views on gay marriage and abortion?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 03:35:12 PM »

I'll elaborate. There's two things many people on Atlas seem to hate:

-People who belong to religions with "cultural" bases to them as well converting to something outside of that and thus abandoning the culture. Islam in Iran would certainly seem to apply.
-People outside the US, even Christians, converting to "Americanized" Christianity.

People in illegal churches in Iran would fall into both categories.

For another example, the Ukraine separatist rebels are also staunchly anti-Protestant, as Vice did a report on. They want to stomp out any church that's not Russian Orthodox. I'd be surprised if many rebels are actually truly practicing Orthodox, but they want to do so on the basis of CULTURE, and since you have people in Ukraine converting from the local culture and church to some American export, isn't that bad? Like I said, I'm not saying anyone here would defend the rebels here in their actions, but they are taking the same mindset just to a far more extreme level.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:12:56 PM »

They shouldn't be underground, What the Iranians and sadly many other Muslims countries aren't adhering to what they're supposed to do, allow Christians and Jews to freely attend their religious services

They should be allowed to freely attend worship.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »

They shouldn't be underground, What the Iranians and sadly many other Muslims countries aren't adhering to what they're supposed to do, allow Christians and Jews to freely attend their religious services

They should be allowed to freely attend worship.
You implicitly seem to refer to the Islamic principle of allowing people of the book to practice their religion, but I doubt this principle applies to people who converted from Islam to Christianity (or, theoretically, to Judaism) as well? Or am I wrong and do you simply state your own opinion (in which case we, of course, fully agree)? Smiley
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »

better than the people in Iran's above ground religious buildings

What do have against Armenians, Assyrians and Chaldeans? Haven't those people suffered enough?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »

Let's put it another way and leave out the talk of "deserving to be persecuted".

Given that these people presumably practice an "Americanized" Protestantism which is often criticized heavily on Atlas, instead of one of the more liturgical faiths, is it fair to say that their FF status is entirely contingent on their being persecuted?

It's unavoidable that underground churches will belong to more decentralistic faiths. The aspect of Americanised protestantism, which is usual critised are usual megachurches, prosperity theology and when they in the 3rd world push for persecution of other groups. House churches on the other hand are rarely criticised (and not something I find especially American), and while I'm sure I won't agree with these people's theology, there's nothing which indicate that I should find these people especially offensive. In fact we (Denmark) often receive House Church refugees from the Middle East, and their beliefs or behaviour have not caused any trouble (something we can't say about their Muslim countrymen)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do you have enough information about these people, so that you know how they would behave if they were in the open?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »

The idea that megachurches or prosperity theology are defining traits of American Protestantism is pretty insane. I'd be surprised if even 1% of American Protestants belong to prosperity theology-preaching churches. Even with megachurches I'd be surprised if it's over 10%.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 08:11:57 PM »

I don't like religion, but I do support the freedom of it. These people are expressing their freedom of religion, or lack their of.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »

My mother went on a secret mission trip and say these people, bringing bibles sown into the sides of her suitcase so they could finally have some in Farsi. THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY FREEDOM FIGHTERS TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies