1980: President Carter vs. Republican (after Reagan 1976 defeat)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:07:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1980: President Carter vs. Republican (after Reagan 1976 defeat)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1980: President Carter vs. Republican (after Reagan 1976 defeat)  (Read 858 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »

July 1976: Former California Governor Ronald Reagan defeats incumbent President Gerald Ford for the Republican nomination. He picks Senator Richard Schweiker as his running mate.

November 1976: Reagan loses the election to Jimmy Carter.

What happens in 1980? Who are the GOP frontrunners? Is Gerald Ford in play again or is Bush the older the strong favorite? I guess Reagan would have been finished after a 1976 defeat by Carter.
Adam the Gr8
AM33
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.70

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:22:06 PM »

With Ford not losing the 1976 general to Carter and Reagan being known as the losing candidate, I think Ford would be in a great position to run. Maybe he could run a sort of "I told you so" campaign. Given the situation in 1980 Ford would probably win big and no longer be known as an accidental president.
If Ford stays out of it, I think Bush would be the nominee and would also win by a pretty big EV margin.
Either of them would probably be more tolerable to Anderson moderates than Reagan and get some of their votes, but would have under performed Reagan in the South for the same reason.

I would post maps but I'm not able to yet.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:31:24 PM »

489: Fmr. Pres. Gerald Ford(R-MI)/Rep. Millicent Fenwick(R-NY)
49: Pres. Jimmy Carter(D-GA)/Sen. Russell Long(D-LA)

Rep. John Rarick(AI-LA)/Fmr. Gov. Lester Maddox(AI-GA) - 9.3%
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:57:45 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2016, 05:01:01 AM by MohamedChalid »

Yes, Ford would have been in a strong position for 1980 and I think he might have run and won the nomination. Not sure about his running mate (I picked Bush). However, I’m not absolutely sure whether Reagan would run again; that would depend on the 1976 result. If the election was very very close, I might have run again but likely lost the former president.

I doubt there would have been a third party run by some southern Dem.

Ford manages to win a solid victory in such a scenario. He would likely have underperformed Reagan in the South a little.

Former President Gerald R. Ford (R-MI)/Former CIA-Director George Bush (R-TX): 477 EV. (53.4%)
President James E. Carter (D-GA)/Vice President Walter Mondale (D-MN): 61 EV. (42.9%)

Just a random question: Could Ford have run for reelection in 1984 under that scenario?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies