A New America Series - 1980 General Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:41:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV)/Senator John P. Hammerschmidt (R-AR)

Governor Jerry Brown (D-CA)/Senator John Glenn (D-OH)

Former Congressman Larry McDonald (C-GA)/Senator James Buckley (C-NY)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: A New America Series - 1980 General Election  (Read 1141 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »

Americans are hoping for change in 1980, and with the candidates, they certainly get a chance to pick it. Senator Paul Laxalt resides in the Republican conservative wing, advocating a plan to "Never to bust the budget, Always defend our borders, and read my lips, no new taxes". Laxalt criticizes McDonald for being something of a libertarian, and calls for cops on the streets and family values. Laxalt has chosen Senator John P. Hammerschmidt of Arkansas as his VP, a moderate who won re-election handily in a Democratic wave of 1978.

Jerry Brown is running as a Democrat in favor of reform, calling himself a new Democrat who calls for fiscal responsibility. He touts his budget conservatism in California as a sign of his success. Nevertheless, Brown also touts more liberal policy proposals like universal healthcare and a more widespread effort to build infrastructure and green energy, and brands Laxalt and McDonald as beholden to the "Corporatism". His pick for VP is Senator John Glenn, from crucial swing state of Ohio and well-liked across the board.

Finally, Former Congressman Larry McDonald is running again, proposing slashing the government to its constitutional limits. Generally regarded in the press as fringe, McDonald nevertheless finds a big audience in white blue collar workers who are tired of politician talk and want someone who talks clearly, and McDonald is very well spoken in that regard. McDonald was expected to run again with Ron Paul, but after Paul unsuccessfully primaried Senator George H.W. Bush, McDonald went instead with a more conventional Senator James Buckley of New York. Nevertheless, McDonald has chastised both Brown and Laxalt as "big government" whose agenda's don't make a "lick of difference".

2 Days to vote!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »

Brown/Glenn!
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 10:30:24 PM »

After three great choices, MacDonald because I voted for him last time.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 10:31:55 PM »

Brown!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »

Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:30:53 PM »

This is a man whose time has come. A strong leader with a proven record.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 12:25:25 AM »

Surprised that Atlas, which is generally pretty pro-civil rights in these elections, is giving so much support to a third-party candidate who was a racist.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:29:38 AM »

MacDonald. Because of Buckley.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 12:38:27 AM »

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 01:08:56 AM »

McDonald to watch the world burn
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 01:25:14 AM »

McDONALD/BUCKLEY!!!!!!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 06:18:52 AM »

Paul Laxalt
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 06:46:58 AM »

McDonald to watch the world burn
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 07:09:32 AM »

McDonald's gonna win because of idiotic left-winger's, it's not like we've had the right (mostly) dominate this series.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »

McDonald's gonna win because of idiotic left-winger's, it's not like we've had the right (mostly) dominate this series.

Yeah, I agree. This is incredibly stupid, and half of McDonald's vote should be discounted due to American politics not working that way with third parties. The Republicans have not shown any sign of collapsing, and there's no reason why the Constitution Party should be tying with the Democrats.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »

Yeah, I agree. This is incredibly stupid, and half of McDonald's vote should be discounted due to American politics not working that way with third parties. The Republicans have not shown any sign of collapsing, and there's no reason why the Constitution Party should be tying with the Democrats.

Yeah, how dare people not vote the way Zioneer and Intell want them to Angry
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »

For the record, I won't invalidate anyones votes.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 01:47:12 PM »

I'm not saying people should vote my way, I'm just saying that the ironic voting is really dumb and would not have been present in a realistic election.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »

I'm not saying people should vote my way, I'm just saying that the ironic voting is really dumb and would not have been present in a realistic election.

Maybe it could be explained in-universe as protest voting? That seems at least somewhat more plausible.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »

Maybe it could be explained in-universe as protest voting? That seems at least somewhat more plausible.

Protest voting exceeding the actual Republican's share of the vote and equaling the Democrat's share (at this point)? Especially while the Republican is quite conservative themselves?

I could definitely see the protest vote winning several states (mostly in the South), but its margin of the vote seems a little unrealistic, and it seems like it's only due to the posters themselves ironically voting for McDonald.

Though if it came down to it, I wouldn't be too opposed to a House election that's akin to George Wallace's plan in 1968, where the Republican and Democrats "win" the electoral vote, but Wallace (or in this case, McDonald) is able to throw it to the House and have some sort of advantage there.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »

Protest voting exceeding the actual Republican's share of the vote and equaling the Democrat's share (at this point)? Especially while the Republican is quite conservative themselves?

I could definitely see the protest vote winning several states (mostly in the South), but its margin of the vote seems a little unrealistic, and it seems like it's only due to the posters themselves ironically voting for McDonald.

Though if it came down to it, I wouldn't be too opposed to a House election that's akin to George Wallace's plan in 1968, where the Republican and Democrats "win" the electoral vote, but Wallace (or in this case, McDonald) is able to throw it to the House and have some sort of advantage there.

Speaking as someone who voted McDonald, I'd be firmly opposed to that.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »

Guys, a vote is a vote is a vote. If people want to elect President Larry McDonald, even ironically, so be it.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »

Laxalt, but I'm not surprised if Brown 'comes through the middle' and wins.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 07:55:46 PM »

Laxalt, but I'm not surprised if Brown 'comes through the middle' and wins.

Well let's hope this time...he lives [Yes Spiral,...I haven't forgotten]
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies