Would Al Gore have run in 2004 without 9/11?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:46:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would Al Gore have run in 2004 without 9/11?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Al Gore have run in 2004 without 9/11?  (Read 4483 times)
Californiadreaming
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »
« edited: January 18, 2016, 07:41:50 PM by Californiadreaming »

After all, without 9/11, I suspect that the disputed nature of Bush's victory in 2000 would have been more of an issue in 2004 than it was in real life.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 06:31:54 PM »

I think that the absence of 9/11 would have opened up more space for other issues. However, while I can't get inside his head, I think Gore probably just wasn't interested in making another run. This probably wouldn't have changed.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:11:28 PM »

I think that the absence of 9/11 would have opened up more space for other issues. However, while I can't get inside his head, I think Gore probably just wasn't interested in making another run. This probably wouldn't have changed.
You might be correct in regards to this.

Of course, my own reason for this speculation is this--as far as I know, Gore got more legal votes in Florida than Bush did (a full statewide manual hand recount of all undervotes and overvotes in Florida would have resulted in Gore winning Florida by somewhere between 42 and 171 votes, a margin which would have increased to 328 and 463 votes once Bush's net gain of between 286 and 292 votes from the counting of questionable absentee military ballots is excluded). Plus, Gore lost thousands of votes in Florida in 2000 as a result of the butterfly ballot. Thus, one can legitimately say that Gore would have won Florida and the U.S. Presidency in 2000 with a full counting of the legal votes, with the exclusion of illegal votes, and with the elimination of the butterfly ballot.

In addition to this, Bush had the worst job creation record since Herbert Hoover. This fact, combined with the economic prosperity of the Clinton-Gore years, would have probably been an extremely good attack tool for Gore in 2004 in a "no 9/11" scenario.

Finally, with the exception of Hillary Clinton, I don't see any of the potential 2004 Democratic nominees being able to defeat Gore for the 2004 Democratic nomination (something which would have been true in both real life and in a "no 9/11" scenario).

Thus, based on all of these factors, another Presidential run in 2004 would have probably been pretty appealing for Al Gore in a "no 9/11" scenario.  After all, in such a scenario, there would have certainly been no extremely massive popularity boost for Bush in his first term. Indeed, the 2004 election might have very well favored the Democrats in a "no 9/11" scenario.

Of course, whether another Presidential run in 2004 would have been sufficiently appealing for Al Gore in a "no 9/11" scenario is the key question here. Indeed, I am still tempted to respond to this question with a "Yes," but other people are certainly free and welcome to disagree with me in regards to this. Smiley
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »

Could Gore have run on a platform of blaming Bush for 9/11 and for Bin Laden escaping at Tora Bora?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 11:22:39 PM »

No here why man bear pig
Flyersfan232

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 08:37:18 AM »

Could Gore have run on a platform of blaming Bush for 9/11 and for Bin Laden escaping at Tora Bora?
way to early for that would have been a disaster in 2004
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »

way to early for that would have been a disaster in 2004

It would be a pretty controversial take to make even in 2024, but yes, 2004 would have been an especially poor time to say that. Attacking Bush on Iraq was probaby a somewhat more tactful move.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies