Republican Operatives Are Trying to Help Bernie Sanders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:30:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican Operatives Are Trying to Help Bernie Sanders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republican Operatives Are Trying to Help Bernie Sanders  (Read 2164 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:37:22 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-01-19/republican-operatives-are-trying-to-help-bernie-sanders
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's clear which candidate the Republicans are more afraid of facing, and it's not the crazy old man from Vermont who wants to raise everyone's taxes and double the size of the budget.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »

Or maybe they're trying to hurt him knowing that their "support" is the best way to hurt him.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:40:28 PM »

We did the same thing supporting Obams in the primaries.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »

Talk about a backfire Tongue.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »

I remember there being an 'operation chaos' movement late in the primaries, getting people to vote for Clinton to drag out the race.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »

If Trump is the Republican nominee, I'm fairly certain that he'll lose no matter who the Democrats nominate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:01:58 PM »

Sanders is much easier to beat.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:21:59 PM »

Saunders has a better approval rating then Clinton among General Election Voters (see link http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-really-unpopular-with-general-election-voters/, their is a table with Dem.  approval ratings). I suspect the GOP wants the Dem. Primaries to last a couple months, even if Clinton wins she will have spent more of her campaign fund.

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »

Saunders has a better approval rating then Clinton among General Election Voters (see link http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-really-unpopular-with-general-election-voters/, their is a table with Dem.  approval ratings). I suspect the GOP wants the Dem. Primaries to last a couple months, even if Clinton wins she will have spent more of her campaign fund.

Don't worry about Invisible Obama. He might be the biggest Hillary hack on this entire subforum.
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »

You can't tell Sanders would be lucky to get 100 EV votes by watching him and the fact he's from VT? Other than Clinton presidents in this era come from big states. Plus his idiotic attacks.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »

Approval ratings at this stage mean almost nothing, though. Sanders could easily be driven into the ground if he won the nomination. But, I agree that Republicans are trying to drag the primary more than anything else.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 09:33:09 PM »

Approval ratings at this stage mean almost nothing, though. Sanders could easily be driven into the ground if he won the nomination. But, I agree that Republicans are trying to drag the primary more than anything else.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 09:56:28 PM »

The only approval ratings for Bernie are 83-13, the highest approvals of any Senator.

http://morningconsult.com/2015/11/bernie-sanders-is-the-most-popular-senator-in-america/
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »

The only approval ratings for Bernie are 83-13, the highest approvals of any Senator.

http://morningconsult.com/2015/11/bernie-sanders-is-the-most-popular-senator-in-america/

Sounds like he has 3 EV from VT in the bag.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »

I'm not arguing that the RNC doesn't think Sanders is the weaker opponent (they probably do), but it's also advantageous for them to cast Clinton as dishonest.  It's her single greatest electoral liability, and this is an attention-grabbing way for them to spotlight it.  Even if they think Sanders is equally strong (again, probably not), this is reasonable for them to do if they expect Clinton to be the nominee (which they do).
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 10:04:53 PM »

Not surprising within his own home state. I won't argue that his approval will always be high in Vermont, because he's been elected statewide for 25 years. In general election campaign for president, there is no way he would sport an approval like that nationwide or in key swing states.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »

I'm not arguing that the RNC doesn't think Sanders is the weaker opponent (they probably do), but it's also advantageous for them to cast Clinton as dishonest.  It's her single greatest electoral liability, and this is an attention-grabbing way for them to spotlight it.  Even if they think Sanders is equally strong (again, probably not), this is reasonable for them to do if they expect Clinton to be the nominee (which they do).

Yup. Nice summary of what's going on...
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »

Be careful what you wish for...
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »

Regardless his policy of raising middle class taxes isn't electable
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 10:39:51 PM »

Regardless his policy of raising middle class taxes isn't electable

If only his party considered that when they believe polls now will reflect the election.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 10:40:41 PM »

In Vermont. I support Sanders but let's not get too hackish here.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 12:28:34 AM »

I agree that Republicans should be careful what we wish for, but there's a certain amount of historical revisionism going on in this thread. Republicans were encouraged in 2008, after our own nominating process had wrapped up, to cross over and vote for Hillary, because at that time the Republicans saw an Obama nomination as inevitable and wanted to drag it out. Very, very few Repubs crossed over and voted for Obama in the primaries, and when they did so it was of their own accord.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 01:25:35 AM »

Bernie will probably be easier to beat--Hillary has much more appeal to moderates and probably won't lose too many Bernie fans (unless, of course, it's a dirty, drawn-out campaign). The Gop definitely thinks that Bernie will be easier to beat--so that's why they'd rather face them.

But I do agree with the analysis that this is mostly to extend the race, and another chance to bash Hillary.

Let me just say, though, that the Republican Party literally sending out emails backing Bernie Sanders is a bit too, uh, on the nose.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 01:36:06 AM »

Remember when Bin Laden "opposed" Bush for the 2004 election with that video he released right before the election? Of course he knew that would help Bush and he didn't want someone who'd have the basic competence to hunt him down. By having the incompetent Bush re-elected, Bin Laden got to live until the next Presidential term, when Obama took him down.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 02:04:27 AM »

Remember when Bin Laden "opposed" Bush for the 2004 election with that video he released right before the election? Of course he knew that would help Bush and he didn't want someone who'd have the basic competence to hunt him down. By having the incompetent Bush re-elected, Bin Laden got to live until the next Presidential term, when Obama took him down.

You're right, if only we would have elected John Kerry we could have gotten Bin Laden sooner. You are so out of touch with reality it's fascinating.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies