Leinad/Cris for President/VP!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:00:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Leinad/Cris for President/VP!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Leinad/Cris for President/VP!!!  (Read 4578 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »

If only we could have two presidents Sad

Great VP pick!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »

Enthusiastically Endorsed!!! Smiley
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 02:53:32 AM »

If only we could have two presidents Sad

Great VP pick!

Thanks!

No, we can't have two Presidents, but you do have one vote. Wink

Thank you, Senator! Smiley
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 04:09:12 AM »

20 Cities in 20 Days Rally in Philadelphia, PA

Governor Leinad spoke to a large crowd at Independence Hall.

One of the main topics Leinad spoke about today in Philly was the Constitutional Convention:

"Hello, Philadelphia! I thank you all for coming here today. This is the site of the original Constitutional Convention, and as you all know we're currently in the midst of another one down in Nyman.

"I've done more than all but a few people to get this Convention running. One of those 'few people,' by the way, happens to be my running mate, Senate Speaker Cris. We both understand how important this is, and we have no intention to stop it's continued progression, but rather to speed it up.

"Of course, just getting some token 'reform' won't be good enough, it needs to be the right reform. Change for change's sake never helped anyone, and at the same time, the status quo alone is never good enough cause to hold a position. We will continue to evaluate each issue and advocate for what's best for Atlasia, instead of just conforming to the echo-chamber or doing what's most convenient.

"For starters, I've been a leading support of regional control, including defending the region's rights to choose it's own name and the size of it's legislature. And it's the little things, too--I stood up to the status quo regarding the new regional maps, and won! Some people wanted to give us an inferior map simply because of a silly non-binding thread before the Convention itself was a reality, but I stopped it from happening. Not that the placements of Minnesota and Iowa are a life-and-death matter, but it's a good test to see who values logic, and who dogmatically sticks to the status quo.

"The main issue at the Convention in the news today is with Presidential Pardons. Now, you know I'm not an idiot. Well...I hope you do. Anyway, why would I want to completely eliminate the powers of an office I'm running for? To say that adding a safeguard to the President's ability to pardon anyone but themselves is such a major watering-down of the office is just farcical. It's not even something that the President does that often, and my preferred method would only limit the President in cases where nearly the entire Senate agrees he's wrong. Is that too crazy? No, it isn't."
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 06:02:01 PM »

Hello

Thank you all for joining me here today.

Today, I'm here to support my good friend Governor Leinad in his presidential campaign. Leinad has been a capable and active governor in the South, restoring it from inactivity and working with people from both sides of the aisle.

He's been great for the South, but what can he do for the rest of the country?

I'm glad you asked. Governor Leinad is an experienced Atlasian, with a great track record. Despite the best efforts of our government, the nation still suffers from high unemployment. Businesses are leaving our country, and they're taking jobs with them.

Leinad is the guy that can fix this. He will cut excessive and inefficient regulations, lower taxes, and bring jobs back to Atlasia.

Unlike our current President, Leinad will be tough on trolls, not ignore them or appoint them to the highest levels of government.

Most importantly, Leinad will not infringe upon your rights. Instead, he will fight for them. He will protect your right to be free from government surveillance, and your right to live your life.

A vote for Leinad and Cris is a vote for jobs, liberty, and recovery. There's a new dawn on the horizon, and soon, it'll be Morning Again in Atlasia.

Again, thank you all for coming. Have a great day, and may God Bless Atlasia!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 11:25:28 PM »

The trolls and their behavior have completely vanished during my term as President. Campaign promise kept!

With regards to the appointment of Talleyrand, Senator Kent, I outlined a no-nonsense approach as conditions of his appointment. Additionally, despite your tough talk now, you apparently did not feel passionate enough during the confirmation hearing at the time to cast a vote in any other way than as a mere abstention!

ABSTAIN

He may be the only qualified candidate, so I can't vote against him, but I also have major reservations about him, so I won't vote for him.

After a dull (and perfectly predictable) December, the Constitutional Convention continues to rage forward and we'll be wrapping up by May 1. We're on track!

As far as experience goes, part of being an experienced and capable Atlasian leader means knowing when and where to pick your battles. Going back to September, I made campaign promises that I would focus on the Constitutional Convention, rebuilding our activity levels bit-by-bit, ending the sheer prevalence of trolling behavior and otherwise preparing for the most important transition in the game in several years. I have done all of these things. On other issues - especially those that will be erased once our new game begins -  I made multiple pledges going all the way back to September that I would not focus on these areas with vigor because getting bogged down in these details is counter-productive and takes time away from the issues that truly matter in the months leading up to the ConCon.

A relative handful of citizens have held this high office, and they'll tell you that you cannot literally address every potential area of concern or every criticism while still retaining a real life, stable employment and your own sanity to be effective in the game, for that matter. This may not be something our younger players understand, but I won't hold their youth and inexperience against them in this area.

I understood it going in, and that is exactly why I am the most equipped to serve another term. Lesser players and Presidents have become exhausted after experiencing all of the office's demands, challenges, and potential areas of interest. You have to know where to focus and how to focus on them. Electing four prior Presidents and being on the frontlines with them for years gave me an insider's knowledge that literally no one else in this game possesses.

As far as the experience of my opponent goes, let's not dress it up as anything other than what it is: a few months as the Governor of the third most-populous Region during a time in which his Region lost the fewest active players per capita of any Region in the game. It doesn't take much to weather the storm when the storm barely touches your shores. It also certainly doesn't prepare you to take on the machinations of a dynamic five times as large and ten times more complicated.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 06:17:14 PM »

The trolls and their behavior have completely vanished during my term as President. Campaign promise kept!

O RLY? Yeah, I know that thread was started after your post here.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 01:41:07 AM »

From Griffin's thread:

Since we're posting on each other's threads Tongue

This campaign will not be about grandstanding, or about pretending to visit fictitious locales.

It's the best way I could think of to give my thoughts on various matters and to keep an active campaign. It has nothing to do with experience--which is a completely absurd argument. "Oh, look at my opponent, he's putting too much effort into his campaign! What a noob!"

Besides, it's fun. It is a game, after all. Even if no one reads it, it's still more activity to the game--on one level or another. And if everyone treated it like that--making speeches and whatnot just for the heck of it--Atlasia would be in a far better state than if they merely scoff at the activity and write it off as "inexperienced."
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 01:44:49 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2016, 01:47:42 AM by Governor Leinad »

Not only have a I been one of the most successful governors, I've also been one of the most active participants of the Constitutional Convention.

So, do you need experience to get experience? Maybe me and Cris haven't been in the game as long as Griffin and Duke, but to act that we're too inexperienced is silly. I've been Governor for nearly half a year, and he's been an active Senator for even longer.

And also, we've been more active. Look, I like Duke, I have no reason not to. I understand and appreciate his contributions to Atlasian history--specifically Southern history. I appointed him to the ConCon and I don't regret that. But I'm afraid he's barely been active over the last four months. This isn't an attack, it's a fact.

I have no reason to doubt that Cris will be one of the most active Vice Presidents we've ever seen.

Hopefully everyone will look past the rhetoric and silly attacks and judge us on who they think has the better message for Atlasia's future.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:01 PM »

You know, I fail to understand why people continue with this notion that VPs MUST BE active in their jobs. The constitutional powers given to the VP are to administer senate confirmation hearings, advise the president when necessary and step in for the president if they go missing. That's my job, and I've done my job. My job isn't to meddle in policy or be involved in all of the decisions Griffin makes. He's the #1 man. I had my day in the shade a few years ago, which you missed sadly, but it was known as The Era of Good Feeling, maybe you've heard of it. I have no interest in trying to outshine Adam with my good looks, wonderful sense of humor, or successful track record.

Although, this probably goes back to my inherent political beliefs, which undoubtedly differ from yours, and that's ok. I think the federal government needs to be powerful and concentrated in the hands of our almighty president, and when I was president, I re-wrote so many laws I stopped counting, and rammed my agenda through the senate without much opposition. It was glorious. Cheesy

I think having the VP meddling in policy may undermine the president and make him weaker, and that's not what I will do to Adam. I'm always here if he needs my take on something, but otherwise, he's the big man, the one with the steady hand and tender touch, and I am just the guy that exists for his pleasure. If I started running my mouth about policy and such, who knows what would happen! No one wants another term were I am in charge. Tongue

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:01 PM »

You know, I fail to understand why people continue with this notion that VPs MUST BE active in their jobs. The constitutional powers given to the VP are to administer senate confirmation hearings, advise the president when necessary and step in for the president if they go missing. That's my job, and I've done my job. My job isn't to meddle in policy or be involved in all of the decisions Griffin makes. He's the #1 man. I had my day in the shade a few years ago, which you missed sadly, but it was known as The Era of Good Feeling, maybe you've heard of it. I have no interest in trying to outshine Adam with my good looks, wonderful sense of humor, or successful track record.

Although, this probably goes back to my inherent political beliefs, which undoubtedly differ from yours, and that's ok. I think the federal government needs to be powerful and concentrated in the hands of our almighty president, and when I was president, I re-wrote so many laws I stopped counting, and rammed my agenda through the senate without much opposition. It was glorious. Cheesy

I think having the VP meddling in policy may undermine the president and make him weaker, and that's not what I will do to Adam. I'm always here if he needs my take on something, but otherwise, he's the big man, the one with the steady hand and tender touch, and I am just the guy that exists for his pleasure. If I started running my mouth about policy and such, who knows what would happen! No one wants another term were I am in charge. Tongue

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 08:33:20 AM »

Duke, I have great respect for you and I agree when you say that you have done what the Constitution provides. But I have a different view of what the Vice President should do. I think that the Vice President, expecially in times when people are looking for a more active government, shall be involved in Senate debates, helping the legislative body with his thoughts and with the government's thoughts as well.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »

I get Duke's point for sure, but if an active VP is an option, why would that not be a major selling point? A quieter VP may be better for a more active time in the game, but as of right now, Atlasia could use more activity.

I think that putting too much power in the hands of one person is a bit dangerous, even on forum games. Me and Cris don't agree on everything, but I think he would be great in the role as he describes--providing an additional voice and a steady hand to help the government run smoothly. Why do I think that? Well, his record in Atlasian politics is one of consistent activity and reform, and I have little doubt that it will continue in the future.

Now, I'd still be the President. The buck, as they say, would still stop at my desk. But I don't think an active VP would cause any harm to an active President.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 01:58:51 PM »

Duke, I have great respect for you and I agree when you say that you have done what the Constitution provides. But I have a different view of what the Vice President should do. I think that the Vice President, expecially in times when people are looking for a more active government, shall be involved in Senate debates, helping the legislative body with his thoughts and with the government's thoughts as well.
Why? What is the point of having the VP relay the president's thoughts to the Senate when the president could just as easily do so himself? Unless Leinad is planning on spending most of his term napping behind the curtains in the East Room, I have no idea why it would be preferable to learn the Administration's preferred policy by this indirect route (through the VP) than directly from the chief policy maker. If the VP wants to throw in his two cents too, fine, but let's not pretend that this is some sort of essential or even important service that the vice president provides or could provide. This is a frill to distract the VP from the utter insignificance of his office, nothing more.

I think that putting too much power in the hands of one person is a bit dangerous, even on forum games. Me and Cris don't agree on everything, but I think he would be great in the role as he describes--providing an additional voice and a steady hand to help the government run smoothly. Why do I think that? Well, his record in Atlasian politics is one of consistent activity and reform, and I have little doubt that it will continue in the future.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Cris is active right now because he occupies an actual post with actual responsibilities, as opposed to a poorly-defined office created as an afterthought by the Convention of 1787, the powers of which have been systematically eliminated during the Atlasian period. If you want the vice presidency to be more consequential, use your post at the ConCon to expand the duties of the position as Duke has done. Without Constitutional reforms, however, calling for the VP to be more "active" is akin to revving the engine of your car after you've taken the wheels off in hope that doing so will make it move faster.

You seem to be equating activity with post count, but this is simply not the case: activity is a measure of one's accomplishments, and it is impossible to accomplish anything of note if you are legally prohibited from doing anything beyond introducing cabinet appointees and waiting for the president to fall off the face of the Earth.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 06:38:37 PM »

Leinad, I'm not taking offense at all to what you said, don't worry. I am just explaining my philosophy on the job. When I was President, I rarely consulted my VP for anything. Matt and later Cinci did all I ever needed them to do, but I made all the decisions as I saw fit and I'd relay to them how I wanted them to vote on bills that needed a final decision. Hence why I don't really participate in the debate in the Senate, because my views may differ from Adam's, and if they did, I would be undermining him, and I don't want that. He's the man in charge. I just serve him humbly.

But I did believe, and I was right, that our political beliefs were just different. I favor a strong central leader and you fear that, which is absolutely fine. I respect your views of course. But, since you brought me up, I had to respond! I wasn't intentionally trying to be inactive. I was just acting as I felt the VP should act in our current state.

Of course, I gave the VP more powers in my government overhaul plan we have mainly passed at the ConCon, so better days are ahead, I assure you!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 05:55:14 AM »

I'll respond to Truman and Duke, but first I'll share my response to Blair's oppo-dump at the floor of the Labor party convention:

Ah, I see you've decided to take up fiction writing, since the Presidential election didn't work out. Tongue

I should probably address this, even though I'm pretty sure you meant to post this in the "post something blatantly untrue" thread over in the Forum Community section.

This was a bill that told the regional government to promote protests. To put it simply.... the South passed a bill that told Southern Citizens to protest the South. This isn't leadership-this is foolishness.

FALSE!

In reality, I amended that bill to simply punish police officers for infringing on peaceful protests. I did what a leader does: I took the initiative to improve the bill.

So are you guys against peaceful protesting? I never thought Labor would take such an extremist authoritarian position!

Regarding the abortion stuff, I recognize abortion as a regional issue in Atlasia. I'm not going to ban abortions, don't worry. My position on the matter has been articulated ad nauseum, and as much as I've tried to make it as respectful and understanding as possible, certain Governors who share names with former British Prime Ministers have absurdly labeled me as "sexist" for being honest with my views (which consistently side with the right to life--not only with abortion, but with the death penalty and foreign policy)--which have nothing to do with religious beliefs or discrimination.

I could clutter this page with essays on the issue of abortion, but it would be a waste because it's a regional issue. Not to mention, as Adam has said numerous times, with the legislative reboot lots of this stuff will just get overridden. Why would I waste my political capital to get the Senate to ban abortion--or do any crazy stuff you may be afraid of me doing--when it would just get repealed by the legislative reboot? And why would you guys waste time bashing me over something I could never get through the Senate?

People could already have guns in public. This did nothing to make it easier to get a gun, now you simply don't have to conceal it. There's honestly not that much of a difference--all the dangers and benefits stay the same, except now someone wanting to commit a crime might think again if they see another person (presumably a law-abiding one) with a gun.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was never a fan of the adoption bill, but the legislature voted it through unanimously. Should I have vetoed it? In hindsight, probably. Mistakes like that won't happen again, especially with Cris advising me and the Senate being a larger and more experienced legislative body.

Now, let me say this loud and clear so you can hear it over the fear-mongering:

I will not do anything to endanger the public safety of Atlasia. This is just another absurd attack from a party in crisis.

Now, I'll make the responses to the responses of my responses (or something like that...) in my own thread:

@Truman

So why should the VP be a thing, if it's so darn useless? Could I just nominate a coffee mug as VP? No, I'll nominate Cris, and I think he'll disprove the doubters and Make the Vice Presidency Relevant Again.

I know that post count isn't worth that much on an activity level, but it is worth something, right? This was a point of discussion, if I remember correctly, in the Labor primary, where Griffin attacked Blair (the guy you backed, remember) over the same thing--saying that "post count doesn't equal activity." I firmly believe that any amount of activity, no matter how small, is beneficial to a game that's struggling with activity.

And while I don't plan to spend my term napping behind the curtains of the East Room, I nonetheless chuckled at that imagery.

@Duke

Yep, I understand our differences of opinion on this issue, and of course understand why you responded. This seems very much like one of those respectful "agree to disagree" situations that doesn't happen enough here on the internet. Smiley

And that's a good point regarding the ConCon! The new Constitution will be passed within the next Presidential term, so that should be factored into people's opinions, too. Not to mention what administration they think has a better chance to pass it the quickest--I'd argue Leinad/Cris, as I have, although frankly all three tickets have a pair of reform-minded people on them. This is genuinely a good election, and I'm optimistic for Atlasia's future regardless of the results. (But I'm especially optimistic if Leinad/Cris wins.)
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 01:20:56 AM »

"Good evening, Dallas! Amazing to see such a huge crowd here. I know you folks are here to see Governor Leinad, but I'd still like to put my two cents in. This campaign is going full steam and the polls will be open in just next two days already. Before you vote, ask yourself a question: "Do I want a president who gets the job done? Do I want a president who can find the real solutions to our problems? Do I want a president who can give a message of hope and unity?"
And if your answer is "Yea!", vote Leinad/Cris!
God bless you and God bless Atlasia!"
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 07:44:24 AM »

Thank you Pingvin, and thank you, Dallas! I lived here for many years [I actually did], so it's great to have a campaign stop here in the state that much of me still calls home. I've enjoyed being your Governor, and I look forward to the prospect of being your President!

Legislator Pingvin is right, I will be a President of unity. This isn't a time for divisiveness, nor is it a time for inaccurate attacks or allegations. This election is about a new Constitution, about the future of the greatest forum nation on Earth.

Many prominent Atlasians have left in the Bore and Griffin Eras. Pessimism has reigned supreme. But some of us have stayed optimistic, including myself, and Senate Speaker Cris. Neither of us have given up hope, instead we've looked for ways to make the future of Atlasia better than ever before, with the help of all of you.

You can look at the debate thread, in addition to the rest of this campaign thread. I hope that this weekend, starting Friday, you will vote for Leinad/Cris--or at the very least give us a high preference--to ensure that the next era of Atlasia will be the best we've ever seen!

Thank you, and Dave bless Atlasia!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »

An issue politicians have ignored is the YouTube video of an isolationist getting beat up by multiple people, do you plan on doing anything about this, Governor?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 10:24:09 AM »

An issue politicians have ignored is the YouTube video of an isolationist getting beat up by multiple people, do you plan on doing anything about this, Governor?

Obviously I'm against this, violence should never be brought onto people for their political views. Free speech is an important right--the right to say what you want without being punished, either by the government, or by angry mobs. When we lose this, the rest of our Republic will soon follow.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »

Endorsing for second preference.

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »

Thank you, Kingpoleon! Smiley
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 01:42:46 AM »

And it's election time, everyone!

The speculation is over, and now it's time for you to decide the next President of Atlasia!

I've been criticized for my lack of experience, but I think I have proven myself as a trustworthy figure. Does anyone really think I'd crack under the pressure? Does anyone think that, with Cris and others advising me, I'd make the wrong decisions, or fall into inactivity?

I hope I've made the case that I'm ready for the job, and that my record makes me the best candidate. That's what I've tried to make this election about: a comparison of records, not attacks. Maybe sometimes it's seemed like I've been on the attack, but it's always been either in response to an attack from my opponent, or along with a reiteration of my own record.

This is a very important election, and a very important job. I'd reluctantly accept it if you want to go with someone more experienced than me. But I understand this nation's importance. Atlasia's a fun place, where people can spend time playing an in-depth political game in whatever way they choose. It's been a wonderful escape and pastime for me, and I've enjoyed every second of it. Well, most seconds, anyway. Smiley

This election is about preserving and enhancing that--not that one of my opponents would ruin Atlasia, but I feel that we need the best possible leadership to finish the Constitutional Convention, and start off the next iteration of the country on the right track. It is my argument that I'm the best possible leadership, but ultimately it's up to the voters to decide.

Remember, the South has thrived as I've been Governor, and I've been one of the most active members of the Constitutional Convention. I care about this game, and I hope you agree that I'm the best person to lead us into the future!

Thank you for this opportunity, Atlasia, and please, when you head down to the voting booth,

VOTE FOR LEINAD/CRIS!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 02:28:00 AM »

Best of luck! You will make a great president! Smiley
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 04:03:49 AM »

Best of luck! You will make a great president! Smiley

Thank you, Governor! Hopefully I'll be elected and prove that prediction correct!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies