Atlas Poll: Do You Support SSM?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:30:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Atlas Poll: Do You Support SSM?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Do You Support Same Sex Marriage?
Yes.

No.

No, but it should not be the government's place to decide on it.

Yes, but let churches decide on it.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Atlas Poll: Do You Support SSM?  (Read 5101 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:08:45 AM »

I wanted to see what Atlas thinks about SSM now after a couple months after the SCOTUS ruling.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 08:30:09 AM »

Yes (sane).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »

No (insane)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2016, 10:18:51 AM by DavidB. »

What does "let churches decide on it" even mean? This is about civil marriage, right? I am all for SSM but obviously don't support imposing that decision on non-public institutions such as churches.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »

Retain marriage as it is but support civil unions. If states want to pass same-sex marriage, let them.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »

Yes, because I don't think that some groups of people should receive less rights than others for their genetics.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »

Yes
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 11:31:44 AM »

No. Partner Dan keeps bring the God damned subject up now!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »

Obviously. 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 11:49:38 AM »

What does "let churches decide on it" even mean? This is about civil marriage, right? I am all for SSM but obviously don't support imposing that decision on non-public institutions such as churches.

Yes that's an unusual phrasing since it implies that they are going to force Father O'Leary to do a gay wedding or something. Other than maybe 1-2 hardliners (TNF maybe?) no one on here wants that.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »

Yes that's an unusual phrasing since it implies that they are going to force Father O'Leary to do a gay wedding or something. Other than maybe 1-2 hardliners (TNF maybe?) no one on here wants that.

Yet...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »

Yes (not a bigot). Obviously churches can decide on it, but I didn't vote for that because it's presented as a moderate hero option when it's really just common sense.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 12:07:03 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2016, 12:51:31 PM by kataak »

It is kinda funny that non-heterosexuals want to have their version of marriages and normal couples more and more often decides to live together like some hippies, without solemnizing marriage.  
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »

It is kinda funny that ... [Torie deletion]... want to have their version of marriages and normal couples more and more often decides to live together like some hippies, without solemnizing marriage.  

Gays don't appreciate being referred to in that way. It's really not very polite. I am going to let it go, but I wanted to share with you my point of view on this. Thanks.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »

It is kinda funny that ... [Torie deletion]... want to have their version of marriages and normal couples more and more often decides to live together like some hippies, without solemnizing marriage.  

Gays don't appreciate being referred to in that way. It's really not very polite. I am going to let it go, but I wanted to share with you my point of view on this. Thanks.

Unfortunately, he doesn't seem like he'd care. :/

Anyway, yes I support it.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »

I think that term is well-fitting but after Torie suggestion I edited the post, so no worries - no one will be offended.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2016, 01:54:38 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

I think that term is well-fitting but after Torie suggestion I edited the post, so no worries - no one will be offended.

You know, when you say "I think that term is well-fitting," it's pretty obvious you're trying to be passive-aggressive, not actually trying to avoid offense.

Yes, I support same-sex marriage.  I'm not sure that I can think of many political issues where one side of the argument is as intellectually bankrupt as this one.

For instance, despite your weasel-wording here, kataak, are you actually willing to assert that there's an association between declining respect for marriage and same-sex marriage?  The decline in marriage rates predated same-sex marriage as a viable political issue.  States that passed same-sex marriage actually had (last time I ran the numbers) lower increases in divorce rates than those that didn't.  I see no particular causal relationship between same-sex marriage and increasing divorce rates.  I think your claim is that same-sex marriage is a product of people subscribing less to traditional norms, like increased divorce.  Maybe, but how does that mean that same-sex marriage will increase divorce, and where is the evidence for that claim?  And how does this not argue against changing any traditional norm ever?  Don't be weasely about it: unless your argument is that we should never change any long-standing cultural practice ever, for fear of causing social instability, what is your argument?

Feel free to jump in here too, Cassius.  I've seen you post against this issue at least five times without ever articulating why you're against it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:32 PM »

You know, when you say "I think that term is well-fitting," it's pretty obvious you're trying to be passive-aggressive, not actually trying to avoid offense.

Yes, I support same-sex marriage.  I'm not sure that I can think of many political issues where one side of the argument is as intellectually bankrupt as this one.

For instance, despite your weasel-wording here, kataak, are you actually willing to assert that there's an association between declining respect for marriage and same-sex marriage?  The decline in marriage rates predated same-sex marriage as a viable political issue.  States that passed same-sex marriage actually had (last time I ran the numbers) lower increases in divorce rates than those that didn't.  I see no particular causal relationship between same-sex marriage and increasing divorce rates.  Don't be weasely about it: unless your argument is that we should never change any long-standing cultural practice ever, for fear of causing social instability, what is your argument?

Feel free to jump in here too, Cassius.  I've seen you post against this issue at least five times without ever articulating why you're against it.

I gave you my little reason for not supporting SSM. Tongue
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »

Retain marriage as it is but support civil unions. If states want to pass same-sex marriage, let them.
What do you mean by "as it is"? SSM is legalized both in the US and in the UK (bar Northern Ireland)...
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 02:12:23 PM »

I decided to change it not because someone changed my mind but because someone, in this case Torie, nicely and partially not directly pointed that using that word in the forum might be perceived as not nice. He is also moderator so he basically could just edit my post without any note so I guess in that situation what I done was only appropriate thing to do : )

As for the rest it wasn't really any argument or attempt to take part in the discussion, I just find it funny that one group usually considered as "liberal degenerates" are willing to fight to get access to such institution (although I am against civil marriages) like marriage while people who should be in the same vision of the world should be "bastion of Tradition" etc. etc. are more and more moving to the more "degenerated" forms of relations. Sorry for my sense of humor.

But I am of course against "same-sex marriages" and as for the the most important argument is: "Can.  1055 §1. The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring, has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptized."

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 02:14:50 PM »

Well, that is that then. SSM is against God's law. End of discussion.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »

A good argument to oppose same-sex marriage in one's church, I suppose, but since Atlasians' countries are no theocracies this does not really warrant governments treating homosexual couples differently.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 02:42:57 PM »

I decided to change it not because someone changed my mind but because someone, in this case Torie, nicely and partially not directly pointed that using that word in the forum might be perceived as not nice. He is also moderator so he basically could just edit my post without any note so I guess in that situation what I done was only appropriate thing to do : )

Yes, I'm aware, and again, the fact that you called it "fitting" was basically a backdoor way of reaffirming that you meant exactly what you said.  Politely editing out the word seems like a pretty hollow gesture, even if it wasn't passive-aggressive.  If you actually were concerned about your opinion impacting others', you wouldn't have reiterated it.

Not that I think it's bad to offend others with your opinion -- but I think you were being a little knowingly smarmy there.

As for the rest it wasn't really any argument or attempt to take part in the discussion, I just find it funny that one group usually considered as "liberal degenerates" are willing to fight to get access to such institution (although I am against civil marriages) like marriage while people who should be in the same vision of the world should be "bastion of Tradition" etc. etc. are more and more moving to the more "degenerated" forms of relations. Sorry for my sense of humor.

Ah, got you.  Yeah, there is some irony there.

But I am of course against "same-sex marriages" and as for the the most important argument is: "Can.  1055 §1. The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring, has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptized."

And you think your theological beliefs should, even in absence of a compelling policy argument (because the arguments suck, dude), dictate governmental policy?  Do you want governmental policy to be a no-holds-barred fight to impose one's personal theological views on the entirety of society?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:42 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2016, 02:50:07 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

No and I think it's a sign of our society sticking up its finger to God, saying "We don't like your sovereignty!  We don't like your rules!  We want to be autonomous creatures."  Such will never end well, and the judgment of God will rain down upon the West for this, along with many other sins associated with "modernity."  But I think of same-sex marriage as just the latest in a litany of such occurrences and is more of a signal rather than the sole problem in and of itself.

As far as "theocracy" is concerned, I don't believe America should be a theocracy, but I do wish we could return to the more biblical worldview that our leaders and majority of citizens once held.  When the activist judges legalized abortion in 1973 and kicked prayer and God's word out of public schools in 1961 (in addition to the concurrent sexual revolution, feminist movement, and liberalization of divorce laws during this time period) everything seemed to have gone downhill from there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies