Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:57:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC  (Read 4308 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »

What Sanders doesn't seem to get is that Clinton has had years of connections to various organizations and has for years had a broader point of view on various issues, where as he's only be focused on millionaires, banks, etc. It takes time to gain support and that is how the process has always worked. And assuming that he does become the nominee, he has to work with these groups in order to win the election. Burning down bridges is stupid, but Sanders seems to want to do that.

What makes you think Sanders doesn't get that? It seems to me that this is akin to how anybody would spin his opponent getting an endorsement. What was he supposed to say? "Yeah, I really wanted those endorsements. That was a real bummer. Made me feel like a loser."
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »

Funny, this was my response IRL.

Your reasoning probably isn't wrong, it's just depressing. Hillary has done piss all for gays until it became incredibly safe to do so. She wasn't some front-liner fighting for us queers when it was scary and risky, preaching truth the power. She's as calculated as the hills are old, and the fact that she has such a large gay following speaks to nothing but that movement's general superficiality.

Dude, let it go. Don't take a page our of your boy's book and attack those who aren't supporting him. It's petty.

Nothing in Bernie's comments here was an "attack." What is he supposed to say when asked why these groups aren't supporting him? Admit he's just the worst? Get f**king real.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

His comment about "establishment" just came off as bitter. He could have just said that not all endorsements are attainable and kept it moving.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »

What Sanders doesn't seem to get is that Clinton has had years of connections to various organizations and has for years had a broader point of view on various issues, where as he's only be focused on millionaires, banks, etc. It takes time to gain support and that is how the process has always worked. And assuming that he does become the nominee, he has to work with these groups in order to win the election. Burning down bridges is stupid, but Sanders seems to want to do that.

What makes you think Sanders doesn't get that? It seems to me that this is akin to how anybody would spin his opponent getting an endorsement. What was he supposed to say? "Yeah, I really wanted those endorsements. That was a real bummer. Made me feel like a loser."

Actually, that's what everybody except Queen Hillary should be legally required to say.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »

His comment about "establishment" just came off as bitter. He could have just said that not all endorsements are attainable and kept it moving.

Please. Any candidate is going to try to spin things positively for themselves. This was a spin that was pretty easy and open to him, and so he took it.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2016, 02:58:41 PM »

I think we are to the point in the campaign where Sanders is starting to sound like a broken record in his dedication to staying on message, regardless of the question. And of course, when you have little interesting to say beyond a few talking points, your answers don't always end up being the most polished. This is definitely a gaff and is ripe for an attack ad imo.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »

I think we are to the point in the campaign where Sanders is starting to sound like a broken record in his dedication to staying on message, regardless of the question. And of course, when you have little interesting to say beyond a few talking points, your answers don't always end up being the most polished. This is definitely a gaff and is ripe for an attack ad imo.

This exactly. Everything comes back to being about the "establishment" with him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »

This exactly. Everything comes back to being about the "establishment" with him.

HRC is an establishment hack group. Endorsed Joe Lieberman? Enough said.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »

Nothing in Bernie's comments here was an "attack." What is he supposed to say when asked why these groups aren't supporting him? Admit he's just the worst? Get f**king real.

Stay pressed then, I guess. It's not a good look on you, though. What was he supposed to say? I dunno, maybe talk about how he's been an advocate of the causes these organizations are promoting? Rather than be salty about it and throw them under the establishment bus? Your boy is green. Don't defend political incompetence.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »

Actually, Joementum is REAL?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2016, 08:29:41 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2016, 08:34:44 PM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

I'm not sure what your point is, considering he had one of the strongest pro-choice records at the time. He also almost blocked the Healthcare Bill in 2009 because he wouldn't support any provision that would weaken the reproductive rights components of the Bill.

He might be way to the right on military and foreign policy, but that doesn't mean he's awful in all contexts.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »

Bernie's supporters are causing much more harm then good on the HRC facebook page. Lots of abusive and downright nasty comments towards the group singularly most responsible for equal rights for gay people in the United States.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2016, 09:20:06 PM »

Bernie's supporters are causing much more harm then good on the HRC facebook page. Lots of abusive and downright nasty comments towards the group singularly most responsible for equal rights for gay people in the United States.

It's moments like this that show me the Sanders people (both campaign and supporters) just don't get politics. They either think they're better than retail politics (which is dirty at times) or they're complaining about conspiracies and the establishment.

Sanders didn't really attack, but it was clumsy and gave the Clinton campaign something to hit him with.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2016, 09:21:41 PM »

I'm not sure what your point is, considering he had one of the strongest pro-choice records at the time. He also almost blocked the Healthcare Bill in 2009 because he wouldn't support any provision that would weaken the reproductive rights components of the Bill.

He might be way to the right on military and foreign policy, but that doesn't mean he's awful in all contexts.

HRC has nothing to do with abortion. We're talking about gay rights. Joe Lieberman wasn't the candidate in the 2000 Vice Presidential debate who supported civil unions. That was Dick Cheney.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »

It's moments like this that show me the Sanders people (both campaign and supporters) just don't get politics. They either think they're better than retail politics (which is dirty at times) or they're complaining about conspiracies and the establishment.

Sanders didn't really attack, but it was clumsy and gave the Clinton campaign something to hit him with.

The Hillary campaign doesn't need facts to attack. They can just make something up like he's sexist,  wants to dismantle ObamaCare,, or his healthcare plan will cost $18 trillion.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »

I read Planned Parenthood's endorsement of Clinton and thought it was well-reasoned.  It includes a chart comparing Clinton and Sanders' records.  Their bottom line:  Sanders and Clinton are both good on reproductive health — But Clinton Pushes Harder. 

https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/elections-politics/blog/how-do-hillary-clinton-and-bernie-sanders-compare-womens-health/#sthash.Bh0A2CaF.dpuf
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »

The Hillary campaign doesn't need facts to attack. They can just make something up like he's sexist,  wants to dismantle ObamaCare,, or his healthcare plan will cost $18 trillion.
I mean, normally when we talk about the "cost" of a policy, we talk about the cost over 10 years, and single payer healthcare would definitely cost way over 18 trillion dollars. His (sketchy) estimation is that it will cost just under 41 trillion, but a more realistic estimation is somewhere around 50-60 trillion dollars.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »

I mean, normally when we talk about the "cost" of a policy, we talk about the cost over 10 years, and single payer healthcare would definitely cost way over 18 trillion dollars. His (sketchy) estimation is that it will cost just under 41 trillion, but a more realistic estimation is somewhere around 50-60 trillion dollars.

I rest my case.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »

YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2016, 09:40:55 PM »

They brought this up again on Maddow's show tonight too. This looks to be a pretty big unforced gaffe on his part.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2016, 09:54:25 PM »

HRC has nothing to do with abortion. We're talking about gay rights. Joe Lieberman wasn't the candidate in the 2000 Vice Presidential debate who supported civil unions. That was Dick Cheney.

I'm getting confused now... there's a reason why I'm staying out of this place until Iowa. lol.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2016, 09:56:49 PM »

Wow he finally does something good but he doesn't do it for all the right reasons, but still some. The abortion and social liberalism lobby
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2016, 10:02:27 PM »

Wow he finally does something good but he doesn't do it for all the right reasons, but still some. The abortion and social liberalism lobby

LOL, Bernie isn't shying away from supporting SSM and being pro-choice. He even made a point of mentioning those views when he spoke at Liberty U.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »

I see you ignored my piece about DOMA on the previous page, and how the Clintons didn't start selling the whole "it was passed to prevent something worse from happening" narrative until last year; that it was instead signed to ameliorate re-election concerns in 1996. Other than giving speeches to LGBT-friendly organizations and engaging in intangible diplomatic discussions, both Clintons have next to no record on pushing for or achieving equal (LGBT) rights. Where do you get this?

Hillary is a feminist icon for a reason.

Why she is a gay icon, however, remains mystifying.

You want to know the real, unfiltered reason? Her biggest accomplishment on equal rights in the arena is being turned into a pop-culture icon/role-model by the LGBT community, in the mold of "big/strong/fierce/bad bitch YAAAAS". This is why she is a gay icon. I resent how so many of us do this to people who have nothing to do with our concerns.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2016, 11:45:07 PM »

I see you ignored my piece about DOMA on the previous page, and how the Clintons didn't start selling the whole "it was passed to prevent something worse from happening" narrative until last year; that it was instead signed to ameliorate re-election concerns in 1996. Other than giving speeches to LGBT-friendly organizations and engaging in intangible diplomatic discussions, both Clintons have next to no record on pushing for or achieving equal (LGBT) rights. Where do you get this?
HRC being the Human Rights Campaign. I didn't respond to your comment about DOMA since it's a tired argument that basically amounts to a "he said, she said." Also, "next to no record" definitely ignores Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which was major progress for the rights of gay people in the military.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies