Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:53:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC  (Read 4312 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2016, 11:49:27 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Bernie's supporters are causing much more harm then good on the HRC facebook page. Lots of abusive and downright nasty comments towards the group singularly most responsible for equal rights for gay people in the United States.

I see you ignored my piece about DOMA on the previous page, and how the Clintons didn't start selling the whole "it was passed to prevent something worse from happening" narrative until last year; that it was instead signed to ameliorate re-election concerns in 1996. Other than giving speeches to LGBT-friendly organizations and engaging in intangible diplomatic discussions, both Clintons have next to no record on pushing for or achieving equal (LGBT) rights. Where do you get this?
HRC being the Human Rights Campaign. I didn't respond to your comment about DOMA since it's a tired argument that basically amounts to a "he said, she said." Also, "next to no record" definitely ignores Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which was major progress for the rights of gay people in the military.

No one is buying this attempt of the Clintons to rewrite history. More evidence that Hillary deserves her 60% not honest or trustworthy rating.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2016, 11:51:53 PM »

Hillary is a feminist icon for a reason.

Why she is a gay icon, however, remains mystifying.

You want to know the real, unfiltered reason? Her biggest accomplishment on equal rights in the arena is being turned into a pop-culture icon/role-model by the LGBT community, in the mold of "big/strong/fierce/bad bitch YAAAAS". This is why she is a gay icon. I resent how so many of us do this to people who have nothing to do with our concerns.

Agreed.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2016, 11:58:14 PM »

I'm not rewriting history in regards to Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Bill Clinton campaigned on lifting the ban on gay service members in 1992, and Don't Ask, Don't Tell was a compromise to go around Congress to attempt to end the culture of fear and intimidation in the service.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2016, 12:01:56 AM »

Bernie's supporters are causing much more harm then good on the HRC facebook page. Lots of abusive and downright nasty comments towards the group singularly most responsible for equal rights for gay people in the United States.

I see you ignored my piece about DOMA on the previous page, and how the Clintons didn't start selling the whole "it was passed to prevent something worse from happening" narrative until last year; that it was instead signed to ameliorate re-election concerns in 1996. Other than giving speeches to LGBT-friendly organizations and engaging in intangible diplomatic discussions, both Clintons have next to no record on pushing for or achieving equal (LGBT) rights. Where do you get this?
HRC being the Human Rights Campaign. I didn't respond to your comment about DOMA since it's a tired argument that basically amounts to a "he said, she said." Also, "next to no record" definitely ignores Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which was major progress for the rights of gay people in the military.

It's not a tired argument. I would hope that you wouldn't be like Generic Disaffected Voter who, when unable to sort through the facts because there are multiple, countervailing claims, simply throws his/her hands in the air and says "who's to say?". It's a case of Clinton Administration officials and advisers explaining the real reasoning for years - when likely even the Clintons themselves didn't think it would be a big deal or a major issue that would change as quickly as it did - followed by the Clintons themselves changing the narrative because their prior positioning suddenly became toxic.

Also, "HRC being Human Rights Campaign" doesn't mean anything. Susan G. Komen was breast cancer progress. Americans for Prosperity are supposedly for prosperity. Just because there's a name and a broader issues-based umbrella involved doesn't mean that an organization isn't a political racket or that the organization doesn't have clear biases, loyalties and interests that transcend their actual causes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2016, 12:02:41 AM »

I'm not rewriting history in regards to Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Bill Clinton campaigned on lifting the ban on gay service members in 1992, and Don't Ask, Don't Tell was a compromise to go around Congress to attempt to end the culture of fear and intimidation in the service.

The only ones rewriting history here are the one's casting as Hillary Clinton as anything other than a champion for LGBT causes during her career.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2016, 12:09:38 AM »

The only ones rewriting history here are the one's casting as Hillary Clinton as anything other than a champion for LGBT causes during her career.

Yes, thats why she still publicly supported DOMA in her NY Senate run while talking about how real marriage for straights is "historic, religious and moral content", and why she was so principled to fight against a same-sex constitutional amendment proposal in 2004 (where she also made sure to tell people that marriage was a sacred bond for straights, and while also emphasizing that just because she was fighting against this amendment, it didn't mean that she wanted those gay people to get full marriage), and yes, that's why she came out in favor of marriage equality one full year after both the President and the Democratic Party had formally endorsed it.

Face it: the only thing she's flipped on flopped on more than equal rights is the gun issue.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2016, 12:13:03 AM »

Has Hillary literally ever taken a risky political position? She does this with everything. Even when she's going around chest-beating about guns she's still firmly on the side of public opinion. Calling her a "champion" on gay rights is just objectively wrong.

She can paint her tweets in rainbow colors all she wants - she was never on the forefront of that fight. Ever.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2016, 12:18:03 AM »

I guess every time I change my mind, I'm a dirty flip flopper.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2016, 12:28:36 AM »

I guess every time I change my mind, I'm a dirty flip flopper.

Well, which is it? You've provided two narratives here.

On one hand, she was a realist who did what was necessary to defend against the times but has always been on the side of good. On the other hand, she was a genuine convert who, like many Americans, had a sudden change of heart at each moment that 55% of the country became OK with every major advancement of equal rights. It can't be both...Plenty of people have changes of heart and "flop". Hardly anyone engages in "two steps forward, one step back" with respect to their opinion on the issues, depending on to whom they're appealing and whom they're attempting to persuade.

Not to go too far off-topic, but you should really examine her posturing on Second Amendment issues from the 1980s to today. Literally three flips and flops between then and now (pro gun->anti-gun->pro-gun->anti-gun). The occasions were Arkansas Democrat to New York Democrat to Flanking Obama on the Right Democrat to 2016 Primary Environment Democrat.

You'll excuse me if, when combined with her lack of tangible accomplishments on the matter, that it is any different for equal rights than it was for guns.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2016, 12:41:27 AM »

The two aren't mutually exclusive, but it doesn't really matter. You're ignoring most of the information available to you so that you can come to the conclusion you most want to be true, so I don't see the point in arguing with you about this anymore. I'd rather hear your thoughts on Sanders healthcare plan, which were conspicuously absent from the thread on it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2016, 12:17:44 PM »

Oh my God the Republican Party is so divided right now!
DS0816
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2016, 12:25:06 PM »

The President of the HRC has close ties to the Clinton's, so I'm not surprised.

Accurate.

It is also a conspiracy following, for example, about 90 percent of the U.S. Senate Democrats—including Vermont's Patrick Leahy—already backing one candidate, Hillary Clinton, before the voting has happened in First-in-the-Nation Iowa.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies