Favorite Superhero TV show currently on
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:54:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Favorite Superhero TV show currently on
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite Superhero TV show currently on  (Read 1948 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »

Mine is the Arrow
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »

Does Netflix count? If so, Daredevil is my fave. If it doesn't count, The Flash.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »

Does Netflix count? If so, Daredevil is my fave. If it doesn't count, The Flash.

Yes it does, and have you watched the Arrow it's awesome especially Season 1 and 2
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »

Yes it does, and have you watched the Arrow it's awesome especially Season 1 and 2

Yeah, I love it. I think they could improve Green Arrow, the character, a bit. He starts saving people in public, and even starts cracking jokes.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »

Jessica Jones.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:15:46 PM »

pikachu
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 02:25:22 AM »

The Flash. I'm a little underwhelmed by the Marvel shows tbh.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 02:15:26 PM »

I look the most forward to the Netflix shows, but the one I enjoy the most to see every week are the Flash.
Weyfield
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »

I watched a few episodes of Daredevil. It's quite cool.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »

Must put in a word for Peggy Carter, kickin ass and never looks less than fabulous doing it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »

I've never seen any of them. Sad
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »

Of the ones I've seen:

1. The Flash
2. Arrow
3. DC's Legends of Tomorrow
4. Gotham
5. Agents of Shield
6. Agent Carter

Marvel makes great movies, their tv shows? Not so much though Agents of Shield has been a lot better starting in Season 2.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 09:54:13 PM »

Flash and Supergirl. I also watch Arrow and, starting last week, Legends of Tomorrow.

I stopped watching Gotham a while back, and I never really got into the Marvel shows.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »

The Flash, cause it knows to have fun. Daredevil was literally too dark, as in I could never even see what was going on. I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be the blind one, not the viewer. And Jessica Jones was just too boring. A show needs to grab me in the first five minutes, and JJ couldn't even do it in the 5 episodes I sat through. Agents of Shield is amazing too.

1. The Flash
2. Arrow
3. Agents of Shield
4. Legends of Tomorrow
5. Daredevil
-
-
-
-
-
6. Jessica Jones
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 09:32:36 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2016, 09:36:41 AM by Malcolm X »

I'll probably check out Daredevil sooner or later as I've heard really good things, but right now I've only seen the first few episodes of Gotham.  Gotham had a lot of potential (Robin Taylor Lord's performance as the Penguin was award-worthy, for one thing, especially in the pilot and the episode that ends with him taking that guy hostage), so I hoped it was just experiencing growing pains, but the show is clearly stuck for reasons that probably afflict many superhero shows:

1) It panders way too hard to the fanboy demographic.  Throwing in a few winks and nods here and there is one thing, but Gotham really takes it way too far.  Take Harvey Dent: when we first meet him, he's always flipping that silver dollar, the heads side is messed up on one side of the face, he has anger management issues, and comes across as generally a bit sketchy.  Alone, any one of these would be fine, but together it's just OTT for an intro scene.  Beyond which Dent, Nygma, Tommy Elliot, Ivy Pepper, etc can't come into their own as villains the way the Penguin did because Batman's not gonna appear in the series so we're stuck with a bunch of random plot threads with literally no pay-off.

2) There are no dramatic stakes b/c The Penguin, Bruce, Gordon, etc obviously won't die.  The series needs to take risks and kill off someone like Edward Nygma (who is just dead weight) or at least someone like Falcone or Mooney.  

3) There is little (if any) character development.  The Penguin works because Taylor was born for the part, but like with Corey Stoll on House of Cards that's just a case where the acting is so good that it elevates everything else despite horrible writing.  Ben McKenzie and the dude who plays Gordon's partner are fine, but they are playing such one-dimensional stock characters that they have nothing to work with.  

4) Most of the villains of the week are awful.  For every Mr. Zsaz (or whatever the bald guy who shot up the police station was, perfect villain of the week and great casting), there are five folks like the balloon guy or the psychologist who hypnotized people into thinking they were some vengeful goat demon.  If you're gonna go the bad guy of the week route, put a little effort into making them menacing.  Justified was amazing at this (especially post-season 1).  Even the lesser villains of the week like the guy who ran Robert Quarles' oxy shop were great for what they were supposed to be.  I'd watch a show with villains of the week as creepy, well-acted, and mysterious as Me. Zsaz, but I couldn't care less about "balloon man" or random homeless guy whose voice reminds me of Buster Bluth.  

5) Lazy writing.  I get that the show is basically a commercial for DC universe, but come on.  It's not as bad as "Is that the new Playstation?"  "Yeah, it's fun, cheap, and affordable!" exchange between Underwood and Russo on HoC, but one gets the feeling the writers throw in all these pointless references to distract people from lazy writing choices like "hmm instead of finding something useful to do with Gordon's girlfriend let's just make her bisexual and randomly make it that she's been sleeping with some female cop Gordon doesn't like b/c why not?"
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 05:54:47 PM »

I'll probably check out Daredevil sooner or later as I've heard really good things, but right now I've only seen the first few episodes of Gotham.  Gotham had a lot of potential (Robin Taylor Lord's performance as the Penguin was award-worthy, for one thing, especially in the pilot and the episode that ends with him taking that guy hostage), so I hoped it was just experiencing growing pains, but the show is clearly stuck for reasons that probably afflict many superhero shows:

1) It panders way too hard to the fanboy demographic.  Throwing in a few winks and nods here and there is one thing, but Gotham really takes it way too far.  Take Harvey Dent: when we first meet him, he's always flipping that silver dollar, the heads side is messed up on one side of the face, he has anger management issues, and comes across as generally a bit sketchy.  Alone, any one of these would be fine, but together it's just OTT for an intro scene.  Beyond which Dent, Nygma, Tommy Elliot, Ivy Pepper, etc can't come into their own as villains the way the Penguin did because Batman's not gonna appear in the series so we're stuck with a bunch of random plot threads with literally no pay-off.

2) There are no dramatic stakes b/c The Penguin, Bruce, Gordon, etc obviously won't die.  The series needs to take risks and kill off someone like Edward Nygma (who is just dead weight) or at least someone like Falcone or Mooney.  

3) There is little (if any) character development.  The Penguin works because Taylor was born for the part, but like with Corey Stoll on House of Cards that's just a case where the acting is so good that it elevates everything else despite horrible writing.  Ben McKenzie and the dude who plays Gordon's partner are fine, but they are playing such one-dimensional stock characters that they have nothing to work with.  

4) Most of the villains of the week are awful.  For every Mr. Zsaz (or whatever the bald guy who shot up the police station was, perfect villain of the week and great casting), there are five folks like the balloon guy or the psychologist who hypnotized people into thinking they were some vengeful goat demon.  If you're gonna go the bad guy of the week route, put a little effort into making them menacing.  Justified was amazing at this (especially post-season 1).  Even the lesser villains of the week like the guy who ran Robert Quarles' oxy shop were great for what they were supposed to be.  I'd watch a show with villains of the week as creepy, well-acted, and mysterious as Me. Zsaz, but I couldn't care less about "balloon man" or random homeless guy whose voice reminds me of Buster Bluth.  

5) Lazy writing.  I get that the show is basically a commercial for DC universe, but come on.  It's not as bad as "Is that the new Playstation?"  "Yeah, it's fun, cheap, and affordable!" exchange between Underwood and Russo on HoC, but one gets the feeling the writers throw in all these pointless references to distract people from lazy writing choices like "hmm instead of finding something useful to do with Gordon's girlfriend let's just make her bisexual and randomly make it that she's been sleeping with some female cop Gordon doesn't like b/c why not?"

1. Yeah, that was a bit too much for Dent, I was kinda disappointed in that character. I was looking forward to Demt showing up, and then he's pretty much a throwaway cameo.

2. I'd like too see an unexpected death like that, but maybe not Nygma, not until we get to see him behind bars; I'd love to see a plot line that has him in jail, and his alter ego takes under the pressure.

3. Joker's characterization was amazing, and the character was beautifully acted. They lost a viewer when they killed him off.

4. I really want them to just abandon the whole villains of the week thing altogether; they don't seem to be able to do it correctly.

5. Yeah, they really need to fire most their writers. Start over with some people whose made some Batman comics.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 06:16:48 PM »

1. Yeah, that was a bit too much for Dent, I was kinda disappointed in that character. I was looking forward to Demt showing up, and then he's pretty much a throwaway cameo.

2. I'd like too see an unexpected death like that, but maybe not Nygma, not until we get to see him behind bars; I'd love to see a plot line that has him in jail, and his alter ego takes under the pressure.

3. Joker's characterization was amazing, and the character was beautifully acted. They lost a viewer when they killed him off.

4. I really want them to just abandon the whole villains of the week thing altogether; they don't seem to be able to do it correctly.

5. Yeah, they really need to fire most their writers. Start over with some people whose made some Batman comics.

Comic book shows should NEVER let comic book nerds anywhere near it. We don't need complete fan-wank trash. That's all fans of things generally do. It turns off all the more casual viewers they need to survive.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »

Comic book shows should NEVER let comic book nerds anywhere near it. We don't need complete fan-wank trash. That's all fans of things generally do. It turns off all the more casual viewers they need to survive.

I wasn't talking about fans; I was talking about the actual writers of the comics.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 11:28:22 AM »

Person of Interest.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »

I wasn't talking about fans; I was talking about the actual writers of the comics.

I know, we don't need people who read comic books (fans of said stories) to be writing the stories. It almost always ends badly.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 05:54:05 PM »

I know, we don't need people who read comic books (fans of said stories) to be writing the stories. It almost always ends badly.

Yeah, I agree.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies