The gang of 14 form their own party. So who would you vote for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The gang of 14 form their own party. So who would you vote for?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: So who would you vote for in 08
Rep - vote republican

Rep - vote centrist

Dem - vote democrat

Dem - vote centrist

Other - vote rep/dem/

Other - vote centrist

Other - vote other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: The gang of 14 form their own party. So who would you vote for?  (Read 4548 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »

Ok, lets say that the gang of 14 rule the senate. Social Security, stem cell research, environment, tax they all decide whether the senate passes bills or not.

Far right Republicans (Dobson, Hannity, Delay) get really angry with these centrists and are under constant threat.
Far left democrats (Kennedy, Moore, Move on.org) get really angry with the centrists too.

The senate gets more complex and the centrists say stuff this we are going to form our own party.

So the current nominees for president in 08 are as follows.

Bill Frist/Mark Sanford (Republican)
John McCain/Olympia Snowe (Centrist)
Hillary Clinton/Bill Richardson (Democrat)

Who would you vote for? Maps would be FANSTATIC PLEASE!!!!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 11:54:44 AM »

The centrists would only take votes from the Democrats, so obviously the Republican would win in a landslide with about 51% of the vote.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:58:55 AM »

I would go with the Republican ticket.  I like John McCain, but I don't know much about Olympia Snowe.  I don't care for Hillary Clinton, but I kind of like Bill Richardson.  I like Bill Frist and Mark Sanford, so thats who I would go with, except I would ask that it'd be a Sanford/Frist ticket rather than Frist/Sanford.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 12:17:40 PM »

I don't like any of the three Presidential candidates, so I would vote "other."  However, it would be interesting to see if this "coalition" would bring forth the momentum needed for a third-party to gain support.  I've said for a few years now that the Democratic party is reaching a point for a division since they've lost their focus and core message.  The Republicans had that issue in the 90's, lost key sections of their base, and managed to reform and regain control of the government.  Conservative Democrats might split this round and join up with the Reform or Libertarian parties to increase the third-party base.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 03:22:53 PM »

Frist since he is the only palatable choice among those. Hilary would be my second choice though.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »

Centrist.  If they had a chance of winning.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 03:58:52 PM »

I think it go to the House.  :-)  McCain could be a rallying point.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 04:59:45 PM »

333-clinton
179-frist
26-mccain

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 05:08:20 PM »

Why are Kansas and Wyoming just leaning Republican?  They are two of the most Republican states in the Union.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »

I might vote strategically.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 06:22:22 PM »

Why are Kansas and Wyoming just leaning Republican?  They are two of the most Republican states in the Union.

I think the 3rd party would do quite well in those states, but not enough to win them or throw them to the Democrats. I believe they were both the 30% change in 1992 too!
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 07:13:28 PM »

If Congress is Republican as it now is, I'd vote Clinton. If Congress were Dem, I'd probably vote McCain.

A18 is either spinning or just wrong: moderate Republicans and center-right "outsiders" would leave the GOP and vote independent. Not every rank and file  Republican is happy with the ways of Tom Delay and Company- and Frist is obviously into doing their bidding.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 07:16:28 PM »

If Congress is Republican as it now is, I'd vote Clinton. If Congress were Dem, I'd probably vote McCain.

A18 is either spinning or just wrong: moderate Republicans and center-right "outsiders" would leave the GOP and vote independent. Not every rank and file  Republican is happy with the ways of Tom Delay and Company- and Frist is obviously into doing their bidding.

TCash,

your own behavior and the poll on this site contradict your prediction (and Jesus's). According to the poll result, Frist would won 45+ states as Democrats defect en masse to McCain
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 07:55:37 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2005, 08:01:25 PM by Cash »

TCash,

your own behavior and the poll on this site contradict your prediction (and Jesus's). According to the poll result, Frist would won 45+ states as Democrats defect en masse to McCain

What??? With 29.6% of the vote Frist would carry 45+ states??? Assuming this is a scientific poll, which it is far from, I'd like to hear how with a basically 30-30-30 tie, how Frist wins 51%, as A18 claims, and how Frist wins 45+ states as you claim. Awaiting your logic...

And I'll add: I never predicted Clinton would win. I predicted some Mccain votes would come from the GOP- that Frist would not get a similar popular vote percentage that GWB got, as A18 predicted he would.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 12:36:40 AM »

Really, it depends on who has a better chance of putting up viable opposition to Clinton in my state.  So probably McCain.  Although Hillary'd win anyway.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 12:42:34 AM »

Assuming, of course, that McCain does moderately well (placing third), takes a number of states, and takes votes from both parties (so we don't have a 1912 effect)...

How does the House/Senate break down in case no-one reaches 270?

The Senate has to choose between two candidates (assuming McCain places third, this is between Sanford and Richardson)...my bet is they choose Sanford.

And the House...would the centrists have enough pull anywhere to prevent resolution on the first ballot?  (Of course, this would be further convoluted if the split is on the Congressional level as well...)

No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 01:12:51 AM »

Clinton 245 EV 39.8%
Frist     212 EV 37.1%
McCain   81 EV 22.3%

To the House we go!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 07:57:14 PM »

TCash,

What??? With 29.6% of the vote Frist would carry 45+ states??? Assuming this is a scientific poll, which it is far from, I'd like to hear how with a basically 30-30-30 tie, how Frist wins 51%, as A18 claims, and how Frist wins 45+ states as you claim. Awaiting your logic...

And I'll add: I never predicted Clinton would win. I predicted some Mccain votes would come from the GOP- that Frist would not get a similar popular vote percentage that GWB got, as A18 predicted he would.

The results have changed a bit since I posted, but yes, Frist could theoretically win a landslide with 29.6% if the Democratic vote divided evenly and little GOP defection from Frist.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 08:02:15 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2005, 08:03:49 PM by krustytheklown »

Frist would prob. win.
BTW, how do you get the states green?  I'd appreciate any help on that.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 09:43:41 PM »

Frist would prob. win.
BTW, how do you get the states green?  I'd appreciate any help on that.

When you're on the EV Calc, near the bottom there is an option that will let you choose a year as your default. Pick 2000, because it has "independent" instead of "toss-up." You then have green as an option.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 09:45:38 PM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies