Potus for the Pacific- Victory
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:20:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Potus for the Pacific- Victory
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Potus for the Pacific- Victory  (Read 1115 times)
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:07 AM »
« edited: February 21, 2016, 01:51:39 PM by Potus »

I'll be laying out some policy proposals that are really targeted at improving life here in Atlasia and pumping up Main Street with common sense conservative solutions.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 12:51:34 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2016, 08:09:26 PM by Potus »

Rebuilding the National Defense
Job Scoring: 2.5 million new jobs
Budget Scoring:+$50 billion to the surplus
  • Require allied nations to contribute 1% of GDP to Atlasia for continued protection
  • Invest the Protection Dividend of over $250 billion into our national defense
  • Increase military compensation and hire more troops
  • Build a new naval carrier group while reinvesting in the Sixth Fleet
  • Double the size of Air Force by 2026

Our national defense is the single most important responsibility of the federal government. People all over the Republic lose sleep over the existence of powerful enemies abroad leading to insecurity at home. For a very long time, we enjoyed significant geopolitical benefits from providing free protection to our allies. However, this has allowed many countries to completely forgo their own investments in defense and instead promote massive, otherwise unsustainable welfare states. Atlasia needs to begin receiving a Protection Dividend equal to 1% of GDP, which is still much less than they would spend on their own defense if we abandoned them. Counting only our Middle Eastern allies, the European Union, and Japan, the Protection Dividend would provide us with over $250 billion in annual revenue to build up our military.

A strong national defense is also good for the economy. Many people depend on our military for a paycheck and benefits. It's time to give our troops a big raise. We should also help counteract the growing concerns over unemployment with a significant increase in hiring and recruitment by the military. Truly rebuilding our national defense will require investing in more ships and planes to be built here in Atlasia. We can create thousands upon thousands of jobs while also rebuilding Atlasian strength by doubling our Air Force and putting people of all education, race, and background to work in the shipyards.

This kind of investment could truly turn to a new page for Atlasia. Asserting our ourselves abroad will increase our own security and reduce conflict across the globe. At the same time, we can begin to right our economic ship by creating millions of new jobs with the transfer of over $250 billion from foreign countries straight into our economy. This effort will rejuvenate the Atlasian Main Street with new paychecks, manufacturing jobs, and a sense of security that has been missing for far too long.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:11:33 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2016, 08:07:28 PM by Potus »

Moving Toward a Main Street Tax Code
Job Scoring: 1+ million new jobs
Budget Scoring: -$150 billion without offsetting budget cuts
  • Focus on reducing the negative impacts of taxation on business activity
  • Pass a 30% payroll tax cut for workers
  • Allow businesses filing personal income tax returns to deduct business expenses
  • Repeal the 0% bracket and replace it with a $35k standard deduction

Taxes are the number one way government influences the economy. Right now, the federal tax code is oppressively anti-growth and takes a huge bite out of paychecks and small business. In order to restore growth on Main Street, I'm proposing a 30% payroll tax cut for workers. That means about a $1,200 pay raise for the average Atlasian household. The tax cut can easily be paid for with some simple budget reforms that can be easily absorbed because of the sheer size of our federal budget.

Where the tax code really damages Main Street is in its treatment of small businesses. Over half of payroll in this country is met by businesses that file on a personal income tax return. That means that many successful small businesses are being taxed at a 60% rate on all income, not on profits. We must fundamentally transform the way we treat small businesses by allowing complete deduction of all business expenses. This makes the tax on small business owners a tax on their personal income rather than the income of their entire business before they make payroll, buy inventory, and other types of activity.

If we are going to move our economy forward, it's going to take a different tax code. It's time to start turning the page on the punish, irresponsible status quo and really put a laser focus on making the economy work for workers and small business. Main Street tax reform will put people to work, grow the economy, raise wages, and encourage new businesses to form and grow.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 01:24:21 AM »

How would you vote on the Talleyrand appointment?

Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:28:15 AM »

How would you vote on the Talleyrand appointment?

He seems like a compromise choice. I don't want this thing to be about personalities, though. I'm not going to the Senate to sneer at certain appointments and whatnot. I'm going to be "that guy" that tries to get some normal business through rather than some new committee for reform or some another new guy with less than a thousand posts who is just absolutely sure he can fix the game. I'm looking to talk real governance.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 01:57:11 AM »

Endorsed.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »

Watchu runnin 4?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »

Senate from the Pacific.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 08:42:30 PM »

Demanding our allies pay tribute? That certainly is a novel idea.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 08:59:39 PM »

Demanding our allies pay tribute? That certainly is a novel idea.

If we want to preserve the global order we've built, we have to move from a system of free protection to discounted protection. It's not really novel, just an adaptation to new realities.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 09:09:15 PM »

Endorsed!
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »

Endorsed Smiley
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 09:50:23 PM »

Interesting ideas, to say the least. Hopefully we can both head to Nyman together to apply some of them!

In other words, endorsed!
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:06 PM »

Thank you all so much for your support.

Very glad to welcome the endorsement of the Madisonians, as well.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2016, 08:12:52 PM by Potus »

Responsibly Investing in Infrastructure
Job Scoring: 5 million new jobs
Budget Scoring: +$27 billion to the surplus
  • Reform welfare programs beyond Basic Income Guarantee in to massive public works program
  • Open National Infrastructure Bank(NIB) to fund 3P projects
  • Allow tax-free repatriation of foreign earnings if money goes to NIB
  • Enable new infrastructure management and construction entities
  • Eliminate harmful regulatory barriers that inflate infrastructure costs

Atlasia has neglected primary infrastructure for years and has failed to put adequate focus on real investments. My plan provides meaningful, year-to-year, decade-to-decade reforms to strengthen our national road system, create millions of jobs, and strengthen our economy.

The Basic Income Guarantee renders the welfare programs administered by the federal government unnecessary. What is lacking at the federal level, however, is upward mobility via work. In the Senate, I will hope to introduce reforms converting the billions of dollars of redundant welfare spending into an infrastructure-building job for every man and woman currently on social services. A job is the best means of pushing for upward mobility. Additionally, this unprecedented investment in infrastructure is expected, according a Standard and Poor's study, to create an additional four million jobs.

In addition to a massive escalation of public investment in infrastructure, we must look to permanently improve our infrastructure investment process. First of all, I'm calling for the creation of a National Infrastructure Bank capitalized by the foreign earnings of Atlasia's businesses. All foreign earnings will be allowed tax-free repatriation upon the purchase and maturing of a 6-year NIB certificate of deposit. The NIB will promote public-private partnerships in infrastructure and push our national infrastructure to new heights.

We currently neglect to use market forces to improve infrastructure. Though I believe this one of the basic roles of government, there is a role for the dynamism and innovation of markets in infrastructure. I support creating a legal space for government-sanctioned Infrastructure Enterprises to operate and build great things. We should treat them like the business they are, not a government agency.

Overall, this infrastructure plan is projected to create 5 million jobs and long-term economic growth.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 08:26:16 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2016, 08:28:22 PM by Potus »

Reducing Wasteful Spending and Paying Off the Debt
Job Scoring: No significant impact on employment
Budget Scoring: +$151 billion to the surplus
  • Initiate an across the board spending reduction of 4% to all line items
  • Repeal the stimulus's $14 billion credit card for the regions
  • Require a two-thirds vote to reduce the surplus without a declaration of national emergency
  • Dedicate our multi-billion dollar surpluses to reduce the national debt, cut interest payments

Fiscal stewardship is a critical job of representatives. I do not believe that there is any agency in the federal government operating at 96.1% efficiency or better. To me, that means enforcing a broad-based regime of fiscal responsibility, in the form of a 4% spending cut, to strive for that level of efficiency while reducing the financial obligations of future generations. Everyone opposes waste in government and it will be the responsibility of the bureaucracy to find four pennies of every dollar they spend to help pay down the national debt.

In the face of economic uncertainty, the Senate has issued a $14 billion credit card to the regions in order to "stimulate the economy." I oppose this measure as wasteful spending that could be better used cutting taxes, investing in long-term economic growth, or paying down our national debt.

The soundness of our federal budget is threatened by a force much older than recession or tax receipts. Since the Senate began discussing the 2016 budget, which is nearly a month late, taxpayers have watched the surplus drop from $86 billion to $28 billion with incredible. I support amending the Senate rules to require a two third majority vote, or a resolution declaring a nation emergency, in order to reduce the surplus and slow down our payments on the national debt.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 08:46:25 PM »

The Potus Plan:
-Over 8 million new jobs created by building our national defense, cutting taxes, and investing in our infrastructure.
-A take home pay raise of nearly $2,000 by putting more demand on the labor market and cutting payroll taxes.
-A job provided for every family on social services by creating over five million infrastructure jobs.
-Nearly $80 billion added to the surplus by cutting waste, growing the economy, and creating jobs.
-Almost $140 billion in wasteful spending cut by demanding more of our government managers.
-$250 billion invested in our national defense by instead offering discounted protection to our allies.

Let's get Nyman working again. The biggest part of my plan is to focus the Senate, the President, and politics as a whole back on governing and take the focus off of personalities. I'm not going to Nyman to settle scores, raise hell, or bicker. I'm going to get stuff done. I hope you'll join me.

Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:39:16 PM »

Officially wishing President Griffin luck in filling the Pacific Council.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »

ECONOMIC UPDATE

Enduro released numbers showing unemployment at 8.1% nationally. While this is a terrible problem for the people of this country, I offer a solution.

Assuming a labor participation rate of 70%, which isn't far fetched, my plan to create 8.5 million jobs will bring the unemployment rate to 4.4%. This number gets us close to full employment, improving life for every Atlasian.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »

Endorsed
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »

Let's get out to the polls to change the culture and start debating the issues again.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »

Thank you, sir.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 01:51:20 PM »

Thank you all so much for the confidence you've placed in me. I'm looking forward to going to the Senate and getting to work on the issues.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »

Thank you all so much for the confidence you've placed in me. I'm looking forward to going to the Senate and getting to work on the issues.

And all of us Pacific residents are looking forward to it as well. Congratulations on your victory, and best of luck in the Senate!
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »

Congratulations!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies