PA 6/PA 8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:24:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA 6/PA 8
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Author Topic: PA 6/PA 8  (Read 41309 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2005, 04:38:45 PM »

These races will never be able to match a PA 13 race  Smiley  but they're still two very interesting matchups.

PA 6 (the likely matchup) - Lois Murphy (D) vs. Jim Gerlach (R)

PA 8 (the likely matchup) - Patrick Murphy (D) vs. Mike Fitzpatrick (R)

The Murphy Team - That's right. Two Murphys running in SE PA Congressional races. Pat Murphy will do better than Schrader in PA 8 but turnout will benefit Fitz. Fitz won with 56% of the vote in 2004. Next year, he'll probably slip two points.

Lois Murphy will be the focus of much attention in 2006. Few people imagined that she'd get so close. She'll have much more money/establishment backing than she did in 2004 but, just like the PA 8 race, the Republican - Mike Fitzpatrick - will benefit from the turnout. Gerlach will end up with around 53% to Murphy's 47%
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 04:50:53 PM »

Aside from the current representatives, what kind of districts are they, politically speaking?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 04:55:52 PM »

Aside from the current representatives, what kind of districts are they, politically speaking?

PA 8 is a pretty moderate district. Overall it's probably center-left on social issues and center-right on economics.

PA 6 is beginning to move more to the left on social issues but pretty conservative when it comes to economics.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 05:41:54 PM »

Here are some links of the candidates' websites:

http://jimgerlachforcongress.com/

http://www.loismurphy.org

http://www.fitzpatrickforcongress.com/

http://www.murphy06.com/

Lois Murphy's looks kind of childish but still a nice site.

Also, for anyone who visits Politics1.com, Gunzburger messed up on the PA 6 candidates. Lois Murphy is now a declared candidate and Pat Murphy is a candidate in PA 8.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 07:14:51 PM »

Pat Murphy looks like someone who will be biting the GOP on the ass for years to come. Veteran, young guy, increasingly liberal district.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 07:18:03 PM »

Pat Murphy looks like someone who will be biting the GOP on the ass for years to come. Veteran, young guy, increasingly liberal district.

He does have a future, that's for sure. He just won't beat Fitzpatrick anytime soon.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »

What kind of Democrats are the two Murphys?  Populist, liberal, DINO, etc.?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 07:31:19 PM »

I expect Pat Murphy to be a Populist and Lois Murphy is another Allyson Schwartz.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 09:59:58 PM »

I expect Pat Murphy to be a Populist and Lois Murphy is another Allyson Schwartz.

Yeah, Lois was the former head of NARAL.  Wow, we may end up with 3 Murphys in the PA Congressional Delegation in 2006.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 10:04:12 PM »

Yeah, Lois was the former head of NARAL.  Wow, we may end up with 3 Murphys in the PA Congressional Delegation in 2006.

Tim Murphy (R) will win re-election, Murphy has a chance but is unlikely to win and Patrick Murphy won't get more than 46%.

I wouldn't want to see Patrick or Lois in Congress (Lois would easily become one of my least favorite members of Congress) but it would be interesting to see three Murphys from the same delegation.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 10:07:35 PM »

Tim Murphy (R) will win re-election, Murphy has a chance but is unlikely to win and Patrick Murphy won't get more than 46%.

I wouldn't want to see Patrick or Lois in Congress (Lois would easily become one of my least favorite members of Congress) but it would be interesting to see three Murphys from the same delegation.

I think PA-18 leans towards Tim Murphy as well, but what kind of candidate is Sean Logan?  I can't find too much about him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 10:10:12 PM »

I think PA-18 leans towards Tim Murphy as well, but what kind of candidate is Sean Logan?  I can't find too much about him.

Sean Logan is a popular State Senator who will likely do better than past Dem candidates against Murphy. In 2004, Murphy's opponent got 37%. I'm betting Logan gets around 43-45%.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 10:14:36 PM »

Politics1 has that part right. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 10:17:30 PM »

He just edited it. I believe he updates everything at around 11 PM every night.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 10:18:29 PM »

He just edited it. I believe he updates everything at around 11 PM every night.

I love how you get an error message if you click the PA-13 corner of PA on his map! Grin
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 10:39:06 PM »

Sean Logan is a popular State Senator who will likely do better than past Dem candidates against Murphy. In 2004, Murphy's opponent got 37%. I'm betting Logan gets around 43-45%.

What are his politics like?  I'm guessing sort of populist-liberal, out of the Ron Klink/Murtha mold?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 01:43:35 AM »

Reason number 1 why Pat Murphy won't win:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

With about 85% of the district in Bucks County, and another 5-10% in Montco (being conservative)...and only 5% in Philadelphia...no chance.

No offense to the Philadelphia guys...but people in all parts of Bucks take pride in one thing...they're not from Philadelphia.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 01:46:15 AM »

Reason number 1 why Pat Murphy won't win:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

With about 85% of the district in Bucks County, and another 5-10% in Montco (being conservative)...and only 5% in Philadelphia...no chance.

No offense to the Philadelphia guys...but people in all parts of Bucks take pride in one thing...they're not from Philadelphia.

He was actually born and raised in my old parish, St. Martin of Tours.  From what I heard he is a populist.  Resume is quite impressive though and he's young. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 01:46:46 AM »

Populist...strike two.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 01:55:45 AM »

Agreed.  Should Sandy Miller step in?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 02:37:23 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2005, 02:47:37 AM by Flyers2006 »

Well, we all know I'm cheering for Lois Murphy in 2006!!!!  Another NARAL/EMILY's List person in Congress is exactly what Pennsylvania needs!  GO LOIS!!  Game on now Phil!  Don't like my signature?  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 04:23:58 PM »

Well, we all know I'm cheering for Lois Murphy in 2006!!!!  Another NARAL/EMILY's List person in Congress is exactly what Pennsylvania needs!  GO LOIS!!  Game on now Phil!  Don't like my signature?  Tongue

I'm kind of worried about her because she could win (and the last thing we need is another Schwartz in the House) but it's not likely to happen. I'll admit, she almost pulled off the upset of the year here in PA last year. That was her chance. 2006 won't be that great of a year for turnout (compared to 2004) so she'll go down 53-47.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 02:59:07 AM »

I'm kind of worried about her because she could win (and the last thing we need is another Schwartz in the House) but it's not likely to happen. I'll admit, she almost pulled off the upset of the year here in PA last year. That was her chance. 2006 won't be that great of a year for turnout (compared to 2004) so she'll go down 53-47.

You said that before about Dan Wofford in 2002.  You laughed at me for picking PA 6 as an upset in November while you picked PA 13.  Who was closer?  I was WAAAAAY closer, almost won!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 12:53:22 PM »

You said that before about Dan Wofford in 2002.  You laughed at me for picking PA 6 as an upset in November while you picked PA 13.  Who was closer?  I was WAAAAAY closer, almost won!

How could I say something about Dan Wofford in 2002 when I didn't join until June 2004? Plus, even if this argument was brought up in the past, I never remember saying Wofford would lose by that amount. I knew that was going to be a close one. You really need to grow up.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 01:43:19 PM »

How could I say something about Dan Wofford in 2002 when I didn't join until June 2004? Plus, even if this argument was brought up in the past, I never remember saying Wofford would lose by that amount. I knew that was going to be a close one. You really need to grow up.

When I was making an argument for Lois Murphy, you were saying she's was not going to be as close as Wofford was.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies