Let's try to end partisanship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:29:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Let's try to end partisanship
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Let's try to end partisanship  (Read 937 times)
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:48:29 PM »

So let's start simple and have our discussion grow from there.  As bitter and angry as I come off, it's really a habit I have at responding to the left.  I've said before the Republican Party runs deep in my blood, but more important than that is doing what's best for America.  I'd like to lay out a few steps towards ending partisanship.  Around the time I was born I believe at least a quarter of Americans were undecided.  Parties were drifting apart in the mid 80's, but still it used to be if you could convince the working class that you were the right candidate, they'd vote for you and their spouse would too.  Nowadays, Romney's 47% remark was ironic, but not far off.  I'd say 10% of Americans are capable of being swayed.  With the access we have to minute by minute updates and the internet, it's hard not to be informed unless you don't want to be.  These policies may not make it I realize because politicians would be voting themselves out of office, but let's talk about them anyways.

Term limits for the House and Senate not to exceed 12 years.  Spending limits of $250,000,000 at the presidential level and no ads before Labor Day.  Ban soft money from unions and corporations because only individuals vote, not companies and unions as a whole.  I'm also against recess appointments without congressional approval, but again I'm not sure how realistic these are.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:38:10 PM »

partisanship is a good thing, and the major problem with America is that parties aren't powerful enough.
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:41:38 PM »

partisanship is a good thing, and the major problem with America is that parties aren't powerful enough.

What do you mean? 
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:54 PM »

Partisanship is a good thing for a healthy debate.
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »

Partisanship is a good thing for a healthy debate.

Yes but not to the point it's at now. We had healthy debates for decades until the last generation.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 12:40:46 AM »

IF you want to end partisanship, start small. Make friends with everyone from Kucinich to Tillis, not just McCain and Lieberman.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 01:03:37 AM »

Well, that and the insane political system that allows the minority party to block anything the majority party tries to do.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 01:07:08 AM »

Well, that and the insane political system that allows the minority party to block anything the majority party tries to do.

> Majority Party
> Doesn't Control House/Senate

I don't notice you complaining in Maryland, where Democrats are doing this to their Governor, not over restarting/ending/starting new programs, but over changing the budget and cutting taxes a bit.
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 01:39:32 AM »

As long as you realize both parties do it.
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 01:46:35 AM »

So you're against the Democrats blocking Republican legislation in congress?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »

Redistricting reform would help, as well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:54:57 PM »

Oh, I support Democrats doing anything they can to block the suicidal Republican agenda.

On the other hand, I realize that, in a functional institutional setting, they shouldn't be able to.
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »

Oh, I support Democrats doing anything they can to block the suicidal Republican agenda.

On the other hand, I realize that, in a functional institutional setting, they shouldn't be able to.

Nice rationalization
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »

If you want to end partisanship, vote Republican.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »

wait what
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 06:34:35 PM »

IF you want to end partisanship, start small. Make friends with everyone from Kucinich to Tillis, not just McCain and Lieberman.

Well I would certainly think twice before shaking Thom Tillis's hand...
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »

You guys seem to enjoy partisanship as much as I do.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 12:03:42 AM »

I'm thinking the same thing.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 12:17:07 AM »

It's kind of ironic that this got so partisan so quickly.

Anyway, I promise to always approach things here with an open mind. Most of you here do as well, and that's what makes this a really nice forum.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »

It is a good thing, I agree. But parties shouldn't be more powerful than they are right now in America. I'm from Germany, and honestly I don't like it the way it works here with parties too much. Unelected party boards have too much power over the nomination process of candidates and the compositation of a cabinet. Not a good thing, in my opinion, although I'm a member of a major party by myself and also a member of a local party-board.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 02:17:12 PM »

> Majority Party
> Doesn't Control House/Senate

I don't notice you complaining in Maryland, where Democrats are doing this to their Governor, not over restarting/ending/starting new programs, but over changing the budget and cutting taxes a bit.

greentexting on atlas

the
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies