51st state as anarchist one?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:34:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  51st state as anarchist one?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Could a 51st 'state' function as an Anarchist one?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: 51st state as anarchist one?  (Read 2457 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »

Well Israel doesn't work as an anarchist state. Neither would Puerto Rico. The Moon might work though.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 11:43:18 PM »

Why do we need a 51st state for "freedom" when all 50 states already have freedom?
Because they are not a free state. They have laws.
You're not free when you constantly have to worry about the basics of life. Imagine how chaotic life would be without laws. You would be living in fear all the time. That doesn't sound very free to me.
sounds like you're scared of freedom. Come on, just learn self defense and have a schedule to stand guard at night.

Well, take a plane to Somalia and leave sane people alone.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 01:55:50 AM »

Well Israel doesn't work as an anarchist state. Neither would Puerto Rico. The Moon might work though.
I like Heinlein, but let's face it, when it comes to describing hypothetical future societies, his writings were far more fantasy than they were science fiction. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, but the idea that Luna could develop as a libertarian wonderland is pure bunk.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:25 AM »

So Somalia is anarchist's paradise now?  I suppose that's less dumb than thinking it's a libertarian one.....not much less dumb mind you....
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 04:07:36 PM »

They really wouldn't be divorced enough from reality to do something like that, but no, it would not work or get off the ground. Our way of life has evolved to operate on laws, tech, and infrastructure as a baseline aspect of society. 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »

They really wouldn't be divorced enough from reality to do something like that, but no, it would not work or get off the ground. Our way of life has evolved to operate on laws, tech, and infrastructure as a baseline aspect of society. 

In all seriousness, such a state would become a haven for criminal enterprise and would essentially evolve into a powerful narco state, given enough time. This would have a bad effect on the entire region and the world itself.

However, I still stand by my proposition for a giant aggressive monkey to keep them in line.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »

Such a state would end up being controlled by whoever had money and resources to exert control. Somalia is a good example of this.

Not only this, but whoever was able to exert the most control over this state would want to stay in power. To enforce their will, they would likely create a system of rules that those within their sphere of control would be required to follow or face sever punishment, a.k.a "laws." To enforce these rules, they would recruit goons to punish those who disobeyed. Over time, they would likely develop a more and more complex hierarchy for organizing their followers or employees or whatever you want to call them. This would allow them to more efficiently ensure that the populace was following their laws. In other words, they'd create what you might call a "government." Not a good government, but a government nonetheless.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 05:08:23 PM »

Where is this "state" going to be located, and who is going to volunteer the real estate? I think I know where TNVolunteer would suggest as its location. Tongue
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »

Where is this "state" going to be located, and who is going to volunteer the real estate? I think I know where TNVolunteer would suggest as its location. Tongue

Perhaps a trial run on the mainland would suffice for now. I'm thinking, maybe a hearty chunk of Columbia County, New York.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 05:29:34 PM »

Perhaps a trial run on the mainland would suffice for now. I'm thinking, maybe a hearty chunk of Columbia County, New York.

As long as its just the town of Greenport.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »

As long as its just the town of Greenport.

I have only a few words for you: Washington, D.C.. It's filled with criminals already, and if we don't care enough about it to give it real representation in Congress we may as well just make it a state and then leave it alone entirely. No taxation w/o representation amirite?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »

I have only a few words for you: Washington, D.C.. It's filled with criminals already, and if we don't care enough about it to give it real representation in Congress we may as well just make it a state and then leave it alone entirely. No taxation w/o representation amirite?

While I almost agree in principle, I have a lot of friends in DC Sad. Throw in a few of those death trucks from Mad Max for them and a bottle of Scotch and I think we have a deal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »

In all seriousness, such a state would become a haven for criminal enterprise and would essentially evolve into a powerful narco state, given enough time.
This would have a bad effect on the entire region and the world itself.

However, I still stand by my proposition for a giant aggressive monkey to keep them in line.

While I almost agree in principle, I have a lot of friends in DC Sad. Throw in a few of those death trucks from Mad Max for them and a bottle of Scotch and I think we have a deal.

Too bad Marion Barry died. He would have done another comeback.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2016, 05:59:59 PM by Torie »

No Greenport. I mean it is really off to a good start. It has no zoning, and thus looks like this (snaps taken by my partner Dan in the shotgun seat at my request as part of my archive on Greenport):

But to seal the deal, I submit this as Exhibit C.  Folks there already know how to take care of business in a way that would fit in well with this new state's ethos.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »

Better yet, they could be elected to the new, openly corrupt version of Congress*! They could help Governor-for-life Marion Barry make unenforceable policy!

*-It's actually the same as before!
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 03:46:40 AM »

Round them up, have a private prison cruiser ship them here and let them lose. Survival of the fittest, there's no government there.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 05:40:48 AM »

What have you got against penguins? Huh
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »

They can fend for themselves like everyone else.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 02:18:12 PM »

If you cut off both panhandles (because they have relevant Interstates passing through them) you could use West Virginia.  Though building a wall around it would be very hard work, the kind of work illegals tend to do, or as an alternative maybe some creative mountaintop removal mining could fill in the valleys and create a wall. 
pikachu
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 01:14:40 AM »

Somehow a worse idea than buying/invading northern Mexico.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies