Did the moustache have negative impact on Dewey's vote in 1944?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:57:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Did the moustache have negative impact on Dewey's vote in 1944?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did the moustache have negative impact on Dewey's vote in 1944?  (Read 1139 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »

OK, he didn't loose because of his moustache. 3.6 million popular votes and 333 electoral votes are not a small difference.
But do you think that he might have lost some votes because of his moustache? 1944 was not a good year for that kind of face.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »

I always thought his was kind of sexy. It gave him a real iconic Disney-esque feel.

Anyway, I thought mustaches were relatively common in that era. Perhaps not as common as before the war, but definitely not thought of negatively. On the other hand, my 40s/50s fashion sense is a bit scarce.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »

I honestly think people don't care about mustaches as much as some of you think. It's not the facial hair -- it's the person.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »

I always thought his was kind of sexy. It gave him a real iconic Disney-esque feel.

Anyway, I thought mustaches were relatively common in that era. Perhaps not as common as before the war, but definitely not thought of negatively. On the other hand, my 40s/50s fashion sense is a bit scarce.

It was seen as weird at the time.  Not sure if people thought "Hitler" when they saw it, though.  Most of his campaign advisers told him to shave it throughout his career, as they thought it made him look unattractive/untrustworthy, but Dewey was too attached to it to listen.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »

US presidents are very clean shaven. The last president who had a beard was Harrison, the last president who had a moustache was Taft (more than 100 years ago), the last major candidate who had any kind of facial hair was Dewey.
http://brocouncil.com/Bro-Council-Stuff/beard-of-the-month-the-us-presidents
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »

Will we ever have another president with facial hair? There are some prominent politicians with mustaches such as Hoeven, Branstad, and John Gregg in Indiana. None of these guys will ever be president of course. I could see a president growing a beard while already elected.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »

Will we ever have another president with facial hair? There are some prominent politicians with mustaches such as Hoeven, Branstad, and John Gregg in Indiana. None of these guys will ever be president of course. I could see a president growing a beard while already elected.

If Rubio follows the advice of some of our posters and picks Hoeven, then resigns after his gay sex scandal explodes, it's possible that President Hoeven could win election in his own right in 2020obviously joking here.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

If Rubio follows the advice of some of our posters and picks Hoeven, then resigns after his gay sex scandal explodes, it's possible that President Hoeven could win election in his own right in 2020obviously joking here.

Well if Rubio got elected period, America would have already elected it's first president in modern history (?) with a beard.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Beard

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:30:28 PM »

Well if Rubio got elected period, America would have already elected it's first president in modern history (?) with a beard.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Beard

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nah. I think the first to have one of those beards was William Howard Taft.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 05:37:58 PM »

No, it's the reason he did pretty well for a war time President. It's also why he came so close in 1948.

Seriously though, I admire his mustache. Much better looking than FDR's wheelchair.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies