Should every other GOP candidate just drop out and endorse Cruz?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:52:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Should every other GOP candidate just drop out and endorse Cruz?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Should every other GOP candidate just drop out and endorse Cruz?  (Read 651 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:53:23 AM »

For all of the talk of Trump's "high-energy," he has never hit fifty in any national polling. But opposition to Trump is split between several candidates. By now it should be clear they are not going to have a last-minute event boost any of them to victory. Since Cruz is clearly the best they can get, should they just swallow their pride and unite behind him for the good of their party?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:57:04 AM »

Why? Many of them would probably prefer Trump to win.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:59:54 AM »

Yes what Thesrites said, and it's not jump them who want Trump to win, but their voters. Trump hits over 50 quite often in head to head matchups. Nobody hits 50 this early except in a 2 horse race like hillary nkw
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:22:36 AM »

I think there is a case for Rubio and Carson doing this, since Cruz is probably acceptable to their supporters. It would probably be best for the others to stay in though, as their supporters would probably just not vote at all if they exited, and that could allow Trump to cross 50% in some of the states that have a winner-take-all threshold.

Of course, that is assuming those candidates would prefer Cruz over Trump, which is far from certain.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:24:46 AM »

No. A Cruz presidency is even scarier than a Trump presidency, and I have the feeling that most of the establishment agrees with this.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:25:16 AM »

I think there is a case for Rubio and Carson doing this, since Cruz is probably acceptable to their supporters. It would probably be best for the others to stay in though, as their supporters would probably just not vote at all if they exited, and that could allow Trump to cross 50% in some of the states that have a winner-take-all threshold.

Of course, that is assuming those candidates would prefer Cruz over Trump, which is far from certain.

Rubio is a senator, and, thus, it is very likely he would prefer anybody other than Cruz to win. That anybody would include Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and Devil Reincarnate.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 01:35:06 AM »

Rubio is a senator, and, thus, it is very likely he would prefer anybody other than Cruz to win. That anybody would include Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and Devil Reincarnate.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I know Cruz has earned his reputation as probably the most despised member of the Senate, but it isn't as though Rubio hasn't stepped on plenty of toes as well. Rubio and Cruz both came to the Senate as Tea Party-backed insurgent candidates, and they are very close on a number of policy issues. If Rubio feels that the establishment is starting to cozy up to Trump, I could see him dropping out and endorsing Cruz as a way of metaphorically giving the establishment the finger for abandoning him.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 01:38:01 AM »

Why? Many of them would probably prefer Trump to win.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 02:09:44 AM »

I don't necessarily agree with that. I know Cruz has earned his reputation as probably the most despised member of the Senate, but it isn't as though Rubio hasn't stepped on plenty of toes as well. Rubio and Cruz both came to the Senate as Tea Party-backed insurgent candidates, and they are very close on a number of policy issues. If Rubio feels that the establishment is starting to cozy up to Trump, I could see him dropping out and endorsing Cruz as a way of metaphorically giving the establishment the finger for abandoning him.

The two of them have had some pretty bad spats over immigration and national security in the debates.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 03:01:47 AM »

Oh no, Cruz is the most horrible individual in that race. Far worse than Trump.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies