How Iowa Hijacked Our Democracy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:57:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How Iowa Hijacked Our Democracy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Iowa Hijacked Our Democracy  (Read 1508 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »

This is a great article. I urge all to read it. It gives the history of the Iowa caucus system, how it works, why the whole process is a travesty, and why despite that, it is unlikely to ever change, either as to its structure, or when it is held (as in first in the nation in the primary process).

The dysfunction of it all, to me is something of a metaphor for the whole presidential nomination process this year, and what it is producing, both out of the voters, and in the candidates.
defe07

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »

You have a point there. But maybe we can reach a compromise. Have Iowa be grouped with other caucus states like ND, CO, WY, AK, etc. Maybe a "Mini-Monday" where a group of, say, 5 small caucus states are held on the same day. Wink
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »

The best solution in my opinion would be:

One nationwide primary and the candidate with the most votes is nominated. No delegate fight, no bokered convention, no special treatment for any state. Just as governors and senators are choosen. That would also shorten the campaign a few months, if you have the primary in May or June.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »

One nationwide primary and the candidate with the most votes is nominated. No delegate fight, no bokered convention, no special treatment for any state. Just as governors and senators are choosen. That would also shorten the campaign a few months, if you have the primary in May or June.
That would be a huge win for richer, establishment candidates and would give little chance for a lesser known candidate to pick up traction. We would basically go back to the smoke filled room days, where the Democratic Party would decide in back rooms which candidate would win.

I'm not sure. If it were held today, The Donald would crush the rest of the pack.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »

You have a point there. But maybe we can reach a compromise. Have Iowa be grouped with other caucus states like ND, CO, WY, AK, etc. Maybe a "Mini-Monday" where a group of, say, 5 small caucus states are held on the same day. Wink

Well, CO is more than twice the size of the other 3 states combined, so it really doesn't belong in that group.

Combine ND, WY, AK, and WV on the same date and you could have an energy extraction/colonial primary.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »

While I'm not going to pretend that money doesn't already dominate the process, I like the idea of having some elements of retail face to face campaigning actually occur.  I also like the endurance aspect of it all too as the freaks always implode sooner or later
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »

I'd like a pool of small-to-medium sized states to go first each cycle, with the order they vote either on a rotation, or else picked at random each time. Preferably the pool of states would include a fair degree of regional variation and partisan lean, such as Nevada, New Hampshire, Louisiana, Maryland, Indiana, Minnesota, Wyoming, and Colorado.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:24 PM »

I'd like a pool of small-to-medium sized states to go first each cycle, with the order they vote either on a rotation, or else picked at random each time. Preferably the pool of states would include a fair degree of regional variation and partisan lean, such as Nevada, New Hampshire, Louisiana, Maryland, Indiana, Minnesota, Wyoming, and Colorado.

Or, if that doesn't include enough southern states, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Maryland, Indiana, Minnesota, Arkansas, and Colorado.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 09:02:49 PM »

Honestly, most of my objections would be met if they just banned caucuses and had every state have a primary. I don't have a huge personal objection to Iowa going first, but I hate the Iowa caucus system.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 09:11:22 PM »

Honestly, most of my objections would be met if they just banned caucuses and had every state have a primary. I don't have a huge personal objection to Iowa going first, but I hate the Iowa caucus system.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 09:38:27 PM »

Interesting read, and I agree with it. Iowa needs to stop being the first. At the very least, pair it with other states. And change that Godawful democratic party process.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:39:42 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 03:10:50 AM »

I think that is a part of the American voting system. It’s not much different in the general election: No candidate is campaigning in two most populous states (CA and TX).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies