Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:14:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead.  (Read 2646 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/us/2-abortion-foes-behind-planned-parenthood-videos-are-indicted.html?_r=0

Rule of law in Texas is a nice thing to see.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »

I'm glad Houston has made the right choice.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »

Wouldn't 60 Minutes have been indicted about 500x under this principle?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:05:05 PM »

Did you actually read what the charges are?  I don't think 60 Minutes is printing fake government IDs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:08:09 PM »

Hahaha, perfect.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:25:14 AM »

Did you actually read what the charges are?  I don't think 60 Minutes is printing fake government IDs.

I thought it was in the fourth paragraph of the article, but I guess not.  The strangely worded first sentence threw me off of what it was saying.   I don't have a NYT subscription, so I like to save my free page views for interesting essays and such.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »

Payback is a bitch. Those two should be charged with three counts of accessory to murder for inspiring that nut to kill three people at Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »

Payback is a bitch. Those two should be charged with three counts of accessory to murder for inspiring that nut to kill three people at Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs.

You don't really understand how accessory to murder works.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 11:00:17 AM by Torie »

Sickening disgusting that judge or grand jury should be arrested [balance of sentence deleted by Torie].

I am not going to infract this time, but what you wrote there that I deleted is not acceptable. Please don't do that sort of thing again. Thanks.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 11:24:02 AM »

In Texas of all places! Best news so far this year.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »

All right, how about involuntary manslaughter/negligent homicide? Their reckless smear campaign caused someone to go out and commit three murders directly because of their actions.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 05:16:51 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 05:52:20 PM by Snowguy716 »

Sickening disgusting that judge or grand jury should be arrested [balance of sentence deleted by Torie].

I am not going to infract this time, but what you wrote there that I deleted is not acceptable. Please don't do that sort of thing again. Thanks.
What is this? I thought there were no infractions? Or have you mods just put them out of sight?  Or do you mean muting somebody?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 06:27:10 PM »

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »

This is dumb...
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 06:42:04 PM »

Why?
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »

Not sure what you are referring to but apparently the felony component of the government document thing required malicious intent.  So, no, 60 Minutes would  not be indicted under any "malicious intent" circumstance.  You may not like whatever 60 Minutes did to get your panties in a bunch but no "malicious intent" was involved on their part.

Yes... It would appear I chose my forum name wisely.

All right, how about involuntary manslaughter/negligent homicide? Their reckless smear campaign caused someone to go out and commit three murders directly because of their actions.

Civil suit looks like it is aiming to take care of some of that.  I mean people go to jail for inciting a riot where no one suffers bodily harm.  I can't believe throwing kerosene on a volatile situation and getting three people killed is legal.  If that isn't illegal it should be.

Ladies and gentlemen what we are learning about the unhinged right (which is most of them) is rule of law doesn't matter.  These are the same people that are totally okay with unarmed black people, many of them kids, getting shot for no reason but they want Republican felons to just run wild because they are white and share their opinions.  Really the Republican party at its core is morally bankrupt.  Look at the situation in Oregon.  Look at the gerrymandering to usurp the will of the people.  Look at how they say we should ignore the Supreme Court when we don't agree with their rulings.

How much of this stuff do we have to see before we wake up and realize Republicans are no better than a lot of theocratic regimes.  It's nuts.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »

Doesn't make abortion any less wrong.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 10:11:03 PM »

What is this? I thought there were no infractions? Or have you mods just put them out of sight?  Or do you mean muting somebody?

If a post is out of line, and a Mod chooses to infract, it goes up on the infraction board. That really does not matter per se, until a point is reached, where the Mods are considering if some punishment of a poster needs to be considered, and then the infracted posts can be reviewed. In this case, the subject post will not be in that subset. I prefer trying to work with posters, before going there, where that approach seems reasonable, and it is not a clear case of a poster deliberately violating the rules on something that matters. 
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »

Isn't this the same court that ruled it okay for the city government to edit homosexuality being a sin out of pastor's sermons? I believe it requires a new trial to press new charges, unless this was a hearing on the matter and not a trial.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 11:27:44 PM »

It's hard to get something that isn't wrong at all less wrong.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 11:51:51 PM »

As I said, right wingers don't understand the concepts of legal and illegal.  You don't run a country based on what each individual determines in their head is right and wrong.  That is called anarchy.  Democrats support what we call laws.

Isn't this the same court that ruled it okay for the city government to edit homosexuality being a sin out of pastor's sermons? I believe it requires a new trial to press new charges, unless this was a hearing on the matter and not a trial.

Another illustrative example.  Republicans just don't understand how laws work.  This was a grand jury hearing so unless they went out and chose the exact same jurors that decided the prior case it is not the same "court".  Well even if they had all the same individuals it is not the same "court" because this is a grand jury.  All the grand jury decides is that it is okay for the case to go to court.  Nothing more.  There still has to be a trial... and an inevitable series of appeals... in Texas.  So gently unbunch your panties and let the process work its way out.  There is a good chance a plea bargain is offered or the whole thing gets overturned on appeal.  This is Texas.

And can you link to this story about a court deciding, "it okay for the city government to edit homosexuality being a sin out of pastor's sermons."  No offense but that sounds like some really crazy right wing hair on fire conspiracy BS.  To be honest with you I think you posted a total lie... perhaps not intentionally.  I could be wrong.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 12:21:22 AM »

As I said, right wingers don't understand the concepts of legal and illegal.  You don't run a country based on what each individual determines in their head is right and wrong.  That is called anarchy.  Democrats support what we call laws.

I'm very far left. I just know that abortion is wrong.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 12:28:39 AM »

Not sure what you are referring to but apparently the felony component of the government document thing required malicious intent.  So, no, 60 Minutes would  not be indicted under any "malicious intent" circumstance.  You may not like whatever 60 Minutes did to get your panties in a bunch but no "malicious intent" was involved on their part.

The government document falsification wasn't something I picked up on as being the crux of the legal issue initially.  But "malicious intent" would not be a difference here. 60 Minutes and other investigative journalists go undercover to expose people and organizations they believe are involved in wrongdoing, and that is the same as here. The difference would be the means.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 01:48:17 AM »

But I thought you were pro-choice? I thought you said something to that effect awhile back.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 01:53:13 AM »

But I thought you were pro-choice? I thought you said something to that effect awhile back.

I think he changed his opinion quite recently.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies