Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:44:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead.  (Read 2643 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 01:58:56 AM »

As I said, right wingers don't understand the concepts of legal and illegal.  You don't run a country based on what each individual determines in their head is right and wrong.  That is called anarchy.  Democrats support what we call laws.

I'm very far left. I just know that abortion is wrong.

But I thought you were pro-choice? I thought you said something to that effect awhile back.

I think he changed his opinion quite recently.

I privately changed my opinion some time ago. I started being honest about it recently.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 02:24:01 AM »

Also, everything NYMillennial posts that has anything to do with morality is the screaming embodiment of elitist coastal values, and I say that as a humanities grad student from New England.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 02:27:23 AM »

Also, everything NYMillennial posts that has anything to do with morality is the screaming embodiment of elitist coastal values, and I say that as a humanities grad student from New England.

He also certainly seems to embody Bay Area values far better than I do (not that I consider that a bad thing at all). Tongue  His sentiments certainly seem to be pretty common in Palo Alto from what I've heard.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 02:46:23 AM »

Wow, this really went off the deep end.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 10:10:21 AM »

As I said, right wingers don't understand the concepts of legal and illegal.  You don't run a country based on what each individual determines in their head is right and wrong.  That is called anarchy.  Democrats support what we call laws.

I'm very far left. I just know that abortion is wrong.

And of course law and order isn't really the root issue here anyway. Unless one is taking an extremely strict stance on submission to authorities, they will make allowances to break the law in cases of grave injustice.

The real question here is if abortion is the murder of an innocent person. Schadenfreude could of course bite the bullet and argue that say, Rosa Parks should be condemned along with these pro life activists for civil disobedience, but barring something like that,  his law and order argument is inconsistent.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »

So they were indicted for making a fake drivers license? Keep that in mind, kids!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2016, 11:23:45 AM by Torie »

So they were indicted for making a fake drivers license? Keep that in mind, kids!

A second count apparently was an attempt to traffic in body parts, which is ridiculous, and an affirmative defense to a fake ID rap is that there was no intent to defraud, and there clearly was no intent to defraud, just expose, so the indictment seems to be a clear miscarriage of justice, and should be thrown out by the court with some dispatch.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »

This is not about abortion. It's about using deception and fraud to advance your political views. I hope we can all agree that's a bad thing even if you support the views in question.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 01:55:37 PM »

Isn't this the same court that ruled it okay for the city government to edit homosexuality being a sin out of pastor's sermons? I believe it requires a new trial to press new charges, unless this was a hearing on the matter and not a trial.

Lol, what?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 02:12:34 PM »

A second count apparently was an attempt to traffic in body parts, which is ridiculous, and an affirmative defense to a fake ID rap is that there was no intent to defraud, and there clearly was no intent to defraud, just expose, so the indictment seems to be a clear miscarriage of justice, and should be thrown out by the court with some dispatch.

Seriously? Making up fake IDs is not a crime if there's no "intent to defraud" (whatever the hell that means)? Huh
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 03:10:07 PM »

Seriously? Making up fake IDs is not a crime if there's no "intent to defraud" (whatever the hell that means)? Huh

Correct.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »

This is not about abortion. It's about using deception and fraud to advance your political views. I hope we can all agree that's a bad thing even if you support the views in question.

If you are deceiving an organization in order to expose that they are doing something unjust and destructive, it may well be justified.  If you mean deceiving the public in order to present you point of view, that is wrong, but normally it is not something that carries a judicial penalty, but is left open for the public to debate as to the facts of the matter. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »

If you are deceiving an organization in order to expose that they are doing something unjust and destructive, it may well be justified.  If you mean deceiving the public in order to present you point of view, that is wrong, but normally it is not something that carries a judicial penalty, but is left open for the public to debate as to the facts of the matter.  

It's been proven (and admitted to by at least one of the people behind the videos) that they were edited in a deceptive fashion to present their view that Planned Parenthood was murdering fetuses and harvesting baby parts.

Incidentally, Planned Parenthood filed a lawsuit against the anti-choice activists a couple of weeks ago.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Slanderous, libelous, and inciting violence - all to score some cheap political points for the Republican Party.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »

Isn't this the same court that ruled it okay for the city government to edit homosexuality being a sin out of pastor's sermons? I believe it requires a new trial to press new charges, unless this was a hearing on the matter and not a trial.

Lol, what?

Those are two separate things. I short-ramble.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »

I guarantee everybody whining about this ruling would be asking for the harshest sentence possible if pro-choice activists had been indicted for editing videos to ruin the reputation of a pro-life organization. This is what is known as hypocrisy and partisanship.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 05:10:46 PM »

Lol, what?

I remember the City of Houston trying to subpoena conservative ministers' sermons. What's the other thing?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »

Well, yes.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »

Lol, what?

Ok, but I'm gonna go ahead and say the first thing has no basis in reality. Are you talking about the subpoenas? Source please.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 12:10:41 AM »

Well, yes.

So then why dump 'doesn't make it right' rather than comment on the substance of what has happened? Quite unlike you. If we're doing that I can now call you for the first time 'anti-women' Cheesy Now there's a first.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 02:01:18 AM »

It seems very obvious from her various posts than she fell under the influence of some religious cult.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2016, 02:47:01 AM »

I won't even deny that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2016, 05:10:02 PM »

It seems very obvious from her various posts than she fell under the influence of some religious cult.

Maddy/Nathan has been under the influence of Christianity for a long time now. Amazing that you are just now picking up on this.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »

That grand jury chose to pervert justice. The rule of law was violated rather than defended. The journalists were completely within their journalistic right to do what they did. Plus the prosecutor is on the board of Planned Parenthood. Indict Planned Parenthood and clear the journalists.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2016, 05:50:26 PM »

That grand jury chose to pervert justice. The rule of law was violated rather than defended. The journalists were completely within their journalistic right to do what they did. Plus the prosecutor is on the board of Planned Parenthood. Indict Planned Parenthood and clear the journalists.

The tears of cuckservatives frustrated that their neanderthal agenda has been defeated yet again are so refreshing.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »

The law does not recognize "because journalism" as a defense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies