Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:52:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Houston clears Planned Parenthood... and indicts prolife activists instead.  (Read 2658 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: January 26, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »

Doesn't make abortion any less wrong.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 12:21:22 AM »

As I said, right wingers don't understand the concepts of legal and illegal.  You don't run a country based on what each individual determines in their head is right and wrong.  That is called anarchy.  Democrats support what we call laws.

I'm very far left. I just know that abortion is wrong.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 01:58:56 AM »

As I said, right wingers don't understand the concepts of legal and illegal.  You don't run a country based on what each individual determines in their head is right and wrong.  That is called anarchy.  Democrats support what we call laws.

But I thought you were pro-choice? I thought you said something to that effect awhile back.

I think he changed his opinion quite recently.

I privately changed my opinion some time ago. I started being honest about it recently.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:24:01 AM »

Also, everything NYMillennial posts that has anything to do with morality is the screaming embodiment of elitist coastal values, and I say that as a humanities grad student from New England.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »

This is not about abortion. It's about using deception and fraud to advance your political views. I hope we can all agree that's a bad thing even if you support the views in question.

Well, yes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:51:27 PM »

This is not about abortion. It's about using deception and fraud to advance your political views. I hope we can all agree that's a bad thing even if you support the views in question.

Well, yes.

So then why dump 'doesn't make it right' rather than comment on the substance of what has happened? Quite unlike you. If we're doing that I can now call you for the first time 'anti-women' Cheesy Now there's a first.

I thought I had enough pro-woman bona fides on the forum for it to be relatively evident that I didn't approve of the skulduggery. I'm not sure why I thought that, because it doesn't really follow, but I did.

wow lol
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 11:30:13 PM »

Excellent riposte!

I know that abortion is right and very good because it prevents women from having children that they do not want, which increases their autonomy,

This is a potentially good argument for abortion in a utilitarian moral framework.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is indisputably a good argument for abortion in a utilitarian moral framework.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is a disgusting argument for abortion in practically any moral framework.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 11:48:37 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2016, 11:54:01 PM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

I understand the deontological argument for abortion that you're making. What I'm saying is that, within my perspective and my moral context, the points you're making would have merit if I weighted the things I value in a utilitarian way (insofar as I think that bodily autonomy, gender equality, and children being alive are all good things, and that it's possible to argue that the first two (especially the second!) are more good for more people than the third), but don't given that I weight them in a deontological way (insofar as I think that it's categorically wrong to kill somebody who is impinging on your autonomy unintentionally and through no fault of their own, and that the 'potential human being'/'living human being' distinction is, in this context, spurious).

I think family planning is something that the state has a very clear and positive vested interest in promoting! That's why as a matter of public policy the use of any form of contraception that takes effect before the ovum is fertilized should be widely encouraged, even though I have religious reasons to find that morally questionable as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies