Indiana Senate Race 2016 Republican Primary Update
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:31:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Indiana Senate Race 2016 Republican Primary Update
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Indiana Senate Race 2016 Republican Primary Update  (Read 1506 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:31:46 PM »

Baron Hill is the presumptive democratic nominee. Todd Young, Marlin Stutzman, and Eric Holcomb are vying for the GOP nomination.
The race for senate is heating up here as the candidates are putting their grassroots together. There was a debate in Kokomo about a week ago. Stutzman emphasized the need to take on Obama. Holcomb focused on his travels around the state and his work with Mitch Daniels. Young focused on his effort to pass conservative legislation and his electability against Baron Hill. Young and Stutzman also began airing ads this week. Stutzman focused on his farming career whole Young highlighted his conservative record and military experience.
Stutzman and Young both start with their respective bases in IN-03 (Fort Wayne and northeast Indiana) and IN-09 (southern Indy burbs, Bloomington, southern Indiana)respectively. Young is winning the money race significantly but it remains to be seen whether Holcomb will steal enough of his votes to let the club for growth backed Stutzman win. I would say that the Indy metro area will be the crucial battle ground, and Young is currently the favorite, although nobody ever polls Indiana so the state of the race is somewhat unknown.

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 11:04:16 PM by Clarko95 »

Unlike 2012, I am not optimistic about Hill's chances at all.

I say Holcomb wins the primary narrowly and has a solid win in November, even barring a bloody Presidential election for Republicans and if the Governor's mansion flips (not optimistic on that one either; Gregg has been AWOL). He's not a loose cannon and Generic-R plays well here.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:07:44 AM »

John Gregg still is very much in this race, although the senate race is a foregone conclusion. Dems are more interested in getting Portman out than netting an IN senate seat.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:29:16 PM »

Yeah the governors race should be very competitive, and Pence's punting on the LGBT question doesn't help. I think the senate primary is between Young and Stuztman. Eric Holcomb is well reapected by a lot of party insiders and local officials, but has very low name ID and very little money. He is probably the most charismatic speaker in the race. Young has represented a large swath of Indiana and seems to be in the sweet spot of being acceptable to conservatives and moderates. He also has military background and a ton of money. Stutzman has run before and probably has higher name id, but is also too conservative for some. Either way, it's a fun primary with 3 solid candidates. I prefer Young myself.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »

So I knew Holcomb dropped out, but I totally missed the last two months of Sue Ellspermann resigning and Holcomb becoming the new Lieutenant Governor 3 days ago.

Fast times in the Hoosier state.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Confirmation-vote-set-on-new-Indiana-lieutenant-6867593.php

Also, WOW is Holcomb a tall dude

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies