Pub Establishment Strategy - tank Cruz first, and then dump the Donald
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:08:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Pub Establishment Strategy - tank Cruz first, and then dump the Donald
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pub Establishment Strategy - tank Cruz first, and then dump the Donald  (Read 1938 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »

The theory being that it will be easier to put down Trump, as opposed to Cruz, after Cruz has been disposed of. As the headline says, that's "playing with fire," but it has been obvious to me that that is what is going on. Does Branstad, or Dole, and so forth, really have any use for Trump? Of course not. It's part of an orchestrated strategy. If it succeeds, Nate Silver can say, hey I told you so, Lief! Tongue
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 10:32:20 AM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

Cruz is literally our best shot at beating Trump
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:43:20 AM »

Well, most of Ted Cruz's supporters have TRUMP as their second choice so this seems like a terrible plan.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »

But when Trump starts talking about the Rubio rumours, it's over, right?
yankeesfan
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:44:24 AM »

But when Trump starts talking about the Rubio rumours, it's over, right?

It's be over in like 2 minutes
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »

Not likely. If they weren't able to defeat Trump before, they won't be able to do it now. Unless a single establishment candidate emerges and Trump somehow hits a ceiling, but it's not a good strategy.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »

Poor idea on their part because they are now out of time.

Unless they can tank a candidate in seven days and miraculously revive a moderate establishment voice in a primary that is extremely hostile towards them, Trump has it on lock once he takes Iowa.
mencken
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:30:09 AM »

This will be as successful as Ron Paul's strategy of attacking Santorum first so that he could be the last man standing against Romney.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »

Cruz is literally out best shot at beating Trump
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »

That is a terrible strategy. We should take out Trump at all costs, while Cruz should remain a "In Case of Trump" final resort.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »

First they have to unite behind one candidate, the obvious frontrunner (of the establishment) being Rubio. Does Rubio have the right stuff to win the nomination?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »

This will be as successful as Ron Paul's strategy of attacking Santorum first so that he could be the last man standing against Romney.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »

Where do they think Cruz's supporters go?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »

This "Establishment Strategy" is plan that has not been matched in quality since von Papen convinced Hindenburg to appoint a new Chancellor.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »

Idiotic strategy. If they do succeed to take Cruz down, Trump wins Iowa and New Hampshire and will then be extremely hard to stop.

The best shot for the establishment is to let Cruz win Iowa and Trump win New Hampshire and then coalesce around the establishment guy who does the best in New Hampshire.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 02:54:17 PM »

This "Establishment Strategy" is plan that has not been matched in quality since von Papen convinced Hindenburg to appoint a new Chancellor.

LOL. If you hate Cruz the most, and Trump slightly less, but still hate him, what is a better plan, that is, ah, legal?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »

LOL. If you hate Cruz the most, and Trump slightly less, but still hate him, what is a better plan, that is, ah, legal?

Have them both split the angry, anti-establishment vote (60% of the vote at this point I'd guess) while the 40% or so of regular Republican voters coalesce around some regular Republican. duh.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 03:00:35 PM »

Have them both split the angry, anti-establishment vote (60% of the vote at this point I'd guess) while the 40% or so of regular Republican voters coalesce around some regular Republican. duh.

Exactly. Try to keep Cruz and Trump roughly neck and neck while bribing and threatening the establishment also-rans to drop out. But that would be much too smart a strategy for the GOP establishment.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 03:01:23 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 03:09:53 PM by Torie »

Ah, and how do you implement that? I mean, it is not like Torie is in command of 40% of the Pubs, and can send out a twitter commanding my 40% to unanimously vote for Rubio, because he's the cutest of the establishment Pubs, and I love his boots. So how does that work? Get everybody but one of them to drop out? Who does that?

And who do you push to get out? I think the idea is to see the results in NH, and if Rubio has a clear lead over the other three, then squeeze hard. But suppose that two or three of them are close together? Then what? Wait until SC I guess, and if the polls show Christie, Kasich and and Bush getting next to nothing, push hard then. It is not as if the GOP has a CEO or something.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »

Idiotic strategy. If they do succeed to take Cruz down, Trump wins Iowa and New Hampshire and will then be extremely hard to stop.

The best shot for the establishment is to let Cruz win Iowa and Trump win New Hampshire and then coalesce around the establishment guy who does the best in New Hampshire.

I agree with this. There may be some Cruz supporters who would go to Rubio if Cruz were to lose Iowa, but most would probably go to Trump. The establishment needs Cruz and Trump to divide their support more or less evenly going into South Carolina, and for Cruz and Trump to be beating the crap out of each other and tearing each other down, for someone like Rubio to have a chance in South Carolina or Nevada.

That being said, even a well executed strategy may not be sufficient to get Rubio (or Bush/Christie/Kasich) the nomination at this point.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »

Ah, and how do you implement that? I mean, it is not like Torie is in command of 40% of the Pubs, and can send out a twitter commanding my 40% to unanimously vote for Rubio, because he's the cutest of the establishment Pubs, and I love his boots. So how does that work? Get everybody but one of them to drop out? Who does that?

And who do you push to get out? I think the idea is to see the results in NH, and if Rubio has a clear lead over the other three, then squeeze hard. But suppose that two or three of them are close together? Then what? Wait until SC I guess, and if the polls show Christie, Kasich and and Bush getting next to nothing, push hard then. It is not as if the GOP has a CEO or something.

That's better than allowing Trump to basically acquire a majority of the GOP electorate, which this strategy almost guarantees.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »

The obvious problem with this is that if they take down Cruz...it makes Trump's numbers "rise" and would make him really hard to stop come March 1st.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 03:16:46 PM »

That's better than allowing Trump to basically acquire a majority of the GOP electorate, which this strategy almost guarantees.

What's better?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »

What's better?

Mine > Pub Establishment.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »

What's better?

Mine > Pub Establishment.

So the establishment should not have gone so hard to knock Cruz out? But they don't want to risk Cruz getting too much traction, so if you hate Cruz the most, you are back to where we were.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies