Trump: "Most likely I won't be doing the debate." UPDATE: He's out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: "Most likely I won't be doing the debate." UPDATE: He's out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Trump: "Most likely I won't be doing the debate." UPDATE: He's out  (Read 8046 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »

Right now it's just Cruz, Rubio, Carson, Christie, Bush and Paul

Isn't Kasich in it too?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »

Pretty bad move. It gives the whole field the chance to jump on him without fear of recourse.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 07:30:46 PM »

This is the weirdest f***ing campaign I have ever seen, and the voting hasn't even started yet.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »

Listen, I get that he may get some points for sticking up to the "big bad mainstream media", which amazingly now includes Fox News and Megyn Kelly. But what person, who is going to show up to the caucus and is deciding between Cruz and Trump, is not going to see Trump for the pussy that he is and will not be swayed by Cruz et al laying punches on the absent baby?

How is avoiding a biased establishment circlejerk to do some actual good being a pussy?

Because he is afraid of Megyn Kelly?

Hardly. Fox News essentially released a press release mocking him and saying it was open season on Trump. Standing there for two hours while everyone including the moderators beat on you is completely pointless and unfair bullsh*t that no candidate should have to endure. It would be like MSNBC hosting a GOP debate. Absolutely terrible.

Trump is a man among boys for this.
Adam the Gr8
AM33
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.70

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:29 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 07:36:01 PM by Adam the Gr8 »

This is the weirdest f***ing campaign I have ever seen, and the voting hasn't even started yet.

If the course of this campaign has taught us anything, it's that we've probably seen nothing yet.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »

I wonder if Fox is going to leave an empty podium and ask ot questions?

Also wacky wavy inflatable arm flailing tube man.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 07:35:18 PM »

Isn't Kasich in it too?

Yes
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »

In Brazil, candidates with good numbers in polls usually refuse to debate. I think that this is a good strategy for Trump:
-He makes debate less attractive for people
-He allows another candidates to take spotlight and reinforce establishment division
-He won't have to answer attacks
-And Cruz will be most attacked candidate on stage

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 07:57:45 PM »

Trump is the only reason people even watch these things. If the network is going to treat him worse than the other candidates, why should he show up?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 08:00:27 PM »

Listen, I get that he may get some points for sticking up to the "big bad mainstream media", which amazingly now includes Fox News and Megyn Kelly. But what person, who is going to show up to the caucus and is deciding between Cruz and Trump, is not going to see Trump for the pussy that he is and will not be swayed by Cruz et al laying punches on the absent baby?

How is avoiding a biased establishment circlejerk to do some actual good being a pussy?

Hardly. Fox News essentially released a press release mocking him and saying it was open season on Trump. Standing there for two hours while everyone including the moderators beat on you is completely pointless and unfair bullsh*t that no candidate should have to endure. It would be like MSNBC hosting a GOP debate. Absolutely terrible.

Fox News doesn't make me LOL very often, but this was some of their best,
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The joke is on Trump. He's just proved he doesn't have the guts to stand up to to FOX News and Megyn Kelly., And he wants to be president?

I can't help but wonder if Trump has decided he doesn't want to be President, and this is a deliberately self-destructive move, like Carson used to sink his campaign.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:26 PM »

The joke is on Trump. He's just proved he doesn't have the guts to stand up to to FOX News and Megyn Kelly., And he wants to be president?

I can't help but wonder if Trump has decided he doesn't want to be President, and this is a deliberately self-destructive move, like Carson used to sink his campaign.

It makes you wonder if all the stuff he said that was supposed to sink his campaign... WAS ACTUALLY INTENDED TO SINK HIS CAMPAIGN!

The sad thing is that this is somewhat plausible.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »

It makes you wonder if all the stuff he said that was supposed to sink his campaign... WAS ACTUALLY INTENDED TO SINK HIS CAMPAIGN!

The sad thing is that this is somewhat plausible.
I really hope he admits that someday.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 08:17:34 PM »

Okay, folks. I've ventured where no other Atlasian would dare in order to find out what the conservative base thinks of Trump's boycott: the Breitbart comments section. Excerpts:

"A brilliant move by Trump, just brilliant! Trump has shown Fox News is just like all the other media, biased and vengeful. [Then another remark about certain parts of Megyn Kelly's body I left out because I don't know if it violates the TOS]"

"Good for him. Its time to stop this nonsense with the debates. They were so phony anyway.
FOX disrespected him, and you don't do that to a candidate. They are very polite to all the others.
And who needs Kelly, she is just too impressed with herself.
Why should he stand there and be insulted by her again."

"Trump is a man of character and conviction as proven once again with this action. He says what he means. You meant to say TED who is a liar and not only forgot he was a Canadian, he forgot to tell all his supporters like you - and your Ok with it - what a bunch of hypocritical "i am righteous and so is Ted" dopes."

There are some non-supporters that are mocking Donald, but those represent the overwhelming majority of views.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 08:19:10 PM »

Wow, this forum really is out of touch with reality.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 08:19:13 PM »

Okay, folks. I've ventured where no other Atlasian would dare in order to find out what the conservative base thinks of Trump's boycott: the Breitbart comments section. Excerpts:

"A brilliant move by Trump, just brilliant! Trump has shown Fox News is just like all the other media, biased and vengeful. [Then another remark about certain parts of Megyn Kelly's body I left out because I don't know if it violates the TOS]"

"Good for him. Its time to stop this nonsense with the debates. They were so phony anyway.
FOX disrespected him, and you don't do that to a candidate. They are very polite to all the others.
And who needs Kelly, she is just too impressed with herself.
Why should he stand there and be insulted by her again."

"Trump is a man of character and conviction as proven once again with this action. He says what he means. You meant to say TED who is a liar and not only forgot he was a Canadian, he forgot to tell all his supporters like you - and your Ok with it - what a bunch of hypocritical "i am righteous and so is Ted" dopes."

There are some non-supporters that are mocking Donald, but those represent the overwhelming majority of views.

We owe you greatly for this selfless act.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »

He'll show.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 08:24:24 PM »

I can't tell if this is a brilliant move, or an insane move. I'm leaning more toward brilliant, if only because so far just about every insane thing Trump has done has worked out well for him. So, maybe both, actually.

Heck, Rand Paul got more coverage for skipping last debate than he would have at the debate.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 08:25:36 PM »

While we worry about how the establishment is going to get Trump out of the race, Trump is doing it for them.  Trump's campaign is a joke.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 08:26:06 PM »

Even he can't possibly walk this back.
yankeesfan
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 08:26:40 PM »

Wow, this forum really is out of touch with reality.

I don't think so.  Most of people thinks he's a child for doing this.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:23 PM »

I can't tell if this is a brilliant move, or an insane move. I'm leaning more toward brilliant, if only because so far just about every insane thing Trump has done has worked out well for him. So, maybe both, actually.

Heck, Rand Paul got more coverage for skipping last debate than he would have at the debate.

I think the chance he collapses is roughly the same that he surges to 50% support. Neither is substantial, but neither is zero either.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »

This will probably improve the debate.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »

This is a masterstroke. I don't understand how people think this will hurt him when Trump's benefit event will likely be more widely watched than the debate.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 08:33:45 PM »

This is a masterstroke. I don't understand how people think this will hurt him when Trump's benefit event will likely be more widely watched than the debate.
People will see that he is not serious, he is a sideshow.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »

Will be interesting to see what kind of ratings this debate gets.  The national ratings don't matter.  Instead, I'll be interested to see what kind of ratings this gets in Iowa.  Is it being simulcast on a local network affiliate in Des Moines, or will it only be available on Fox News Channel?

Chances are high that this move will factor into the "narrative" following the caucus: If Trump wins Iowa, he's hailed as a genius for avoiding the trap of the debate.  If he loses, he's an idiot for allowing his rivals to tear him down on national TV without him there.

Of course, there's still time for some other event to usurp this, but right now I'd bet on it factoring into the post-Iowa narrative, whoever wins.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies