Confirmation Hearing: Enduro for GM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:31:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Enduro for GM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Enduro for GM  (Read 2255 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »

Another one, bless up
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:27:46 PM »

What topics is the nominee most interested in touching upon as GM?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »

Congratulations on your nomination, Mr. Representative. A few questions:

1. If I recall correctly, your past experience in public office is limited to a brief stint as the Northeast Secretary of Veteran Affairs and a single, unfinished term in the Northeast Assembly. How can you assure us that you have the necessary experience and knowledge of Atlasian affairs and federal policy?
2. Past GMs have struggled to balance the desire to create "dramatic" stories with the need for realism. How do you intend to assure that your actions as GM add excitement to the game without being completely ludicrous.
3. On a similar note, can you assure us that you will remain impartial in exercising your powers as GM - that is, you won't use your narrative authority to remake the world in your image or sway events to benefit a particular party or candidate?
4. Will you provide regular updates on the state of the economy (unemployment numbers, etc.)? How will you determine these figures?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »

What topics is the nominee most interested in touching upon as GM?

Any idea that pops in my head; if it is realistic, brings a change in the game, and doesn't kill any players.
Congratulations on your nomination, Mr. Representative. A few questions:

1. If I recall correctly, your past experience in public office is limited to a brief stint as the Northeast Secretary of Veteran Affairs and a single, unfinished term in the Northeast Assembly. How can you assure us that you have the necessary experience and knowledge of Atlasian affairs and federal policy?
2. Past GMs have struggled to balance the desire to create "dramatic" stories with the need for realism. How do you intend to assure that your actions as GM add excitement to the game without being completely ludicrous.
3. On a similar note, can you assure us that you will remain impartial in exercising your powers as GM - that is, you won't use your narrative authority to remake the world in your image or sway events to benefit a particular party or candidate?
4. Will you provide regular updates on the state of the economy (unemployment numbers, etc.)? How will you determine these figures?

1. One can never know everything that has happened in Atlasia, I do know as much as I could know. I'll actively try to increase my knowledge of the game.
2. The West Wing was able to bring excitement to realism, I thrive to be like them.
3. I will not let politics in the way, I'll award activity.
4. I'll try my hardest to provide these updates regularly, I admit I can't see the future and don't know what I'll be dealing with during my term; I'll determine the figures mostly based on laws already in place, and how much activity is on the issue, and, of course, the last numbers provided.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »

Question: How, if at all, do you plan to interact with regional governments?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:04:10 PM »

In the interest of full disclosure: Enduro and I had a round of discussions in which we covered the basics of the job. He did mention that he would like to shake things up to a degree, which led me to explain how GMs have a somber responsibility to not over-react or use the office to further political or personal interests. I explained the events that unfolded in 2014 following the Sirnick Debacle/Thursday Night Massacre/Civil War; he said that he was not referring to that level of chicanery.

I can understand the Senate having questions about this nominee given the fact that he is a relative newcomer, and I fully encourage the Senate to properly vet the nominee and cast their ballots accordingly. I definitely do not want to see a repeat of a 2-1-5 vote or whatever it was when it comes to the confirmation of another important position.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »

For what its worth when Enduro has served in the Northeast, both in the Assembly and as Veterans Secretary he has been one of the most active, and involved players. Even if I didn't always agree with his policy proposals he's been extremely active-which is key for a GM
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:00:19 PM »

In the interest of full disclosure: Enduro and I had a round of discussions in which we covered the basics of the job. He did mention that he would like to shake things up to a degree, which led me to explain how GMs have a somber responsibility to not over-react or use the office to further political or personal interests. I explained the events that unfolded in 2014 following the Sirnick Debacle/Thursday Night Massacre/Civil War; he said that he was not referring to that level of chicanery.

I can understand the Senate having questions about this nominee given the fact that he is a relative newcomer, and I fully encourage the Senate to properly vet the nominee and cast their ballots accordingly. I definitely do not want to see a repeat of a 2-1-5 vote or whatever it was when it comes to the confirmation of another important position.

President Griffin is right, I don't want the GM position to be something to exact personal vendettas.

For what its worth when Enduro has served in the Northeast, both in the Assembly and as Veterans Secretary he has been one of the most active, and involved players. Even if I didn't always agree with his policy proposals he's been extremely active-which is key for a GM

Thank you, Governor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »

One can never know everything that has happened in Atlasia, I do know as much as I could know. I'll actively try to increase my knowledge of the game.
In terms of your experience, though - given that you've only ever served in Regional government (and then only for a short time), do you feel that you've been around long enough to know how the system works and what is and is not under the domain of the GM?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »

One can never know everything that has happened in Atlasia, I do know as much as I could know. I'll actively try to increase my knowledge of the game.
In terms of your experience, though - given that you've only ever served in Regional government (and then only for a short time), do you feel that you've been around long enough to know how the system works and what is and is not under the domain of the GM?
President Griffin has pretty much spelled it out for me, anything else I don't know I can learn. They say trial and error is the best way.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:30 PM »

As a concerned citizen of Atlasia, I suggest a Regency of Three to oversee this nominee. I advise that this involve no more than one member of each party. Senator Kent, Senator Truman, and Judicial Overlord Badger are the three people combining a mildly experienced Federalist Senator, a very experienced Labor Senator who leads the ConCon, and an Independent who has served some time in the law.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:01:14 PM »

I would be interested to hear this as well.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »

I would be interested to hear this as well.

I would like to cooperate with the governor's of each state, so I can stay in on what's going on; I can't guarantee that's going to happen. Also, I want to be able to work with the owners of the major newspapers of each region on stories; I hope to get a newspaper going in each region, but that depends on activity.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 09:03:09 AM »

Enduro has been an active and enthusiastic player in the Northeast. While I am concerned about his lack of experience, Atlasia needs new blood, and as someone who hasn't been here long enough to develop grudges against anyone, I think he could be pretty decent.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 12:25:02 AM »

Such is the peril of nominating an IRC radical who has a recent track record of making promises to get support only to break them days later. Granted, I was late to the party. Forgive me for possibly being layed off, it seems crisis is an annual event for me anymore. Anyway, I did decide to vote Aye because I trust you to keep him under control.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 12:27:04 AM »

Enduro, you express a desire to shake things up whilst not going to the excessive lengths Griffin mentioned. Can you give an example or set of examples as to how you would like to change things with regards to operating in the said capacity?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »

Enduro, you express a desire to shake things up whilst not going to the excessive lengths Griffin mentioned. Can you give an example or set of examples as to how you would like to change things with regards to operating in the said capacity?

I'll be making issues, that isn't very talked about, on the forefront. Not much has been said about agriculture; what if we had a famine? We could also shake up issues that we are talking about, how far of a stretch would it be if ISIS claimed to have a nuclear weapon?
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 03:45:21 PM »

I'm liking the nominee so far. Smiley
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »

Along the lines of Senator Yankee's question: do you intend to "shake things up" primarily through high-profile, dramatic events or through more subtle tactics? If the former, what purpose do you see these events playing beyond giving everyone an adrenaline rush?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »

I consider Enduro to be one of the most under qualified nominees for any office ever. He will not have my vote.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »

Thank you!

Along the lines of Senator Yankee's question: do you intend to "shake things up" primarily through high-profile, dramatic events or through more subtle tactics? If the former, what purpose do you see these events playing beyond giving everyone an adrenaline rush?

I'll try to do both, I'm not sure how successful I'll be at subtlety, but I'll try. Also, I see the Game Moderator position to be something that keeps the game evolving; I'll personally enjoy giving people adrenaline rushes, but my actions are to try to change the game, get people doing something else besides complaining about activity and each other. No game can live without variety.

I consider Enduro to be one of the most under qualified nominees for any office ever. He will not have my vote.

Don't worry, if I win the vote, I won't hold it against you.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 03:27:26 AM »

Excuse me for butting in once more, but another reason I suggested a Triumvirate Regency for a time suggested by the Senators is this:

The Remeber Freedom of Speech Act
1. The Assembly hereby reminds any establishment in the Northeast that we support any individuals right to speak their mind freely.
2. All safe zones from freedom of speech is hereby banned.

I suggest the nominee concede that he would accept a triumvirate of regents being able to overturn his actions if the Senate agrees. I personally believe this would be a waste of talent, but oh well.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »

Excuse me for butting in once more, but another reason I suggested a Triumvirate Regency for a time suggested by the Senators is this:

The Remeber Freedom of Speech Act
1. The Assembly hereby reminds any establishment in the Northeast that we support any individuals right to speak their mind freely.
2. All safe zones from freedom of speech is hereby banned.

I suggest the nominee concede that he would accept a triumvirate of regents being able to overturn his actions if the Senate agrees. I personally believe this would be a waste of talent, but oh well.

Once again, I will not let politics influence my decision making, that act was a mistake. Written so we could debate something. I recognized that it was a bad bill, and withdrew it.

If that is what it takes, then I'll do the triumvirate. It'll be a waste of time because I keep my promises.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »

Something I have noticed in my professional life is that more oversight of creative work is not really productive. I see no point in a "triumvirate", and I will not support such special measures. I trust the nominee to act properly in his capacity as GM.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »

For my two cents; I'd like to see the GM do what briefly happened in the Mock Parliament: create crisis's.

The problem is that the GM will write a story about say agriculture prices dropping, and at best one person will notice it. Governing is most often reacting (rather than being pro-active), and more importantly being able to perform absolutely awfully (Bush with Katrina, Grey with power crises, Mccain with the economy) which then limits their electoral performance.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies