Confirmation Hearing: Enduro for GM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Enduro for GM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Enduro for GM  (Read 2258 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »

For my two cents; I'd like to see the GM do what briefly happened in the Mock Parliament: create crisis's.

The problem is that the GM will write a story about say agriculture prices dropping, and at best one person will notice it. Governing is most often reacting (rather than being pro-active), and more importantly being able to perform absolutely awfully (Bush with Katrina, Grey with power crises, Mccain with the economy) which then limits their electoral performance.
A dilemma for each region and the Federal Government each update would be good, as it gives the Legislatures (et al) something to react to and something to do, in some cases. This could range from relatively minor things, such as industrial disputes, to major things, such as earthquakes - although minor dilemmas should occur much more often than major ones.

If people don't see the GM writing about agriculture prices dropping (for example), there should be consequences following this - as would happen in real life.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »

I cannot support establishing the advisory "triumvirate" proposed by Mr. Kingpoleon: such an arrangement would be inefficient and serve mainly to undermine the office of the Game Moderator. If we're going to give the Senate veto power over the GM, we might as well abolish the office entirely. Policy makers don't get to pick the results of their actions in real life, and it makes little sense for this to be the case in Atlasia.

That said, I am not certain that the nominee is ready for such a consequential appointment. For all his obvious integrity and ambition, it worries me that he has so little experience on the public stage. He is, in essence, an unknown quantity - he has never been subjected to a 'trial by fire,' never forced to endure the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune." It is these experiences that bring out the best and the worst of us and that reveal our true character: for Mr. Enduro, this post would be his first such trial. I applaud his enthusiasm and work ethic, but I think it neither wise nor kind to place a man in the GM's chair who is still learning how to operate the levers of power.

Furthermore, while I am all for a proactive GM, it worries me that the nominee seems to be endorsing chaos for the sake of chaos. I think it's important to note that, while Governor Blair is correct in saying that governance is more often the art of reacting to various crises than following a personal agenda, these crises are often not the high drama, attention-grabbing narratives that have sparked the imaginations of past GMs. A timeline where the country is constantly battling against any combination of famine, civil war, invasions, terrorist insurgencies, etc. is not realistic, nor is it creative. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the nominee here, but from his response to my and Yankee's questions it sounded to me like his main goal was to give everyone a buzz, not to simulate realistic events that make the game more interesting and true-to-life.

At this point, I could still be persuaded to support the nominee, but I have not heard anything that would assuage my concerns thus far.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »

I cannot support establishing the advisory "triumvirate" proposed by Mr. Kingpoleon: such an arrangement would be inefficient and serve mainly to undermine the office of the Game Moderator. If we're going to give the Senate veto power over the GM, we might as well abolish the office entirely. Policy makers don't get to pick the results of their actions in real life, and it makes little sense for this to be the case in Atlasia.

That said, I am not certain that the nominee is ready for such a consequential appointment. For all his obvious integrity and ambition, it worries me that he has so little experience on the public stage. He is, in essence, an unknown quantity - he has never been subjected to a 'trial by fire,' never forced to endure the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune." It is these experiences that bring out the best and the worst of us and that reveal our true character: for Mr. Enduro, this post would be his first such trial. I applaud his enthusiasm and work ethic, but I think it neither wise nor kind to place a man in the GM's chair who is still learning how to operate the levers of power.

Furthermore, while I am all for a proactive GM, it worries me that the nominee seems to be endorsing chaos for the sake of chaos. I think it's important to note that, while Governor Blair is correct in saying that governance is more often the art of reacting to various crises than following a personal agenda, these crises are often not the high drama, attention-grabbing narratives that have sparked the imaginations of past GMs. A timeline where the country is constantly battling against any combination of famine, civil war, invasions, terrorist insurgencies, etc. is not realistic, nor is it creative. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the nominee here, but from his response to my and Yankee's questions it sounded to me like his main goal was to give everyone a buzz, not to simulate realistic events that make the game more interesting and true-to-life.

At this point, I could still be persuaded to support the nominee, but I have not heard anything that would assuage my concerns thus far.

Allow me to relieve of your concerns; I never meant to give the impression that I was planning on basically destroying the nation, I want to have a main issue that would be media's main focus for a month or two, combined with a few smaller issues, and then move to a new one. Also, I don't plan on having things out of nowhere; some things can only happen out of nowhere, like a hurricane, but I do want to build up to somethings, let them develop over time.

As for my experience, you are completely right in that I'm inexperienced, maybe that's not a bad thing; I'm excited for the game, that'll lead me to work harder to give players a good game.

As for the mudslinging that'll undoubtedly coming my way, I have 7 siblings, 3 older sisters, 2 older brothers, and 2 younger sisters. I have experienced a lot of mudslinging already; I already have experienced some of the Atlasian mudslinging too. From Winfield and Dkrolga, Winfield wasn't as much as Dkrol; I respect both players, and don't hold anything against them, because they were mostly right.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »

Allow me to relieve of your concerns; I never meant to give the impression that I was planning on basically destroying the nation, I want to have a main issue that would be media's main focus for a month or two, combined with a few smaller issues, and then move to a new one. Also, I don't plan on having things out of nowhere; some things can only happen out of nowhere, like a hurricane, but I do want to build up to somethings, let them develop over time.
Makes sense - thanks for clearing that up.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2016, 05:40:08 PM by President Griffin »

There is already a "triumvirate" of sorts in the story-telling department: the Game Moderator, flanked by the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of State. The Secretary of the Interior is allowed to craft stories relevant to the domestic front, the SoS can craft stories relevant to international affairs, and of course, the Game Moderator can tell stories from either category. Additionally, the Game Moderator has a little-mentioned "veto" power over both the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of State when it comes to voiding story-lines. I understand that is not what is being outlined here, but it's worth iterating.

Assigning even more people to the story-line team - whether they already hold/can hold other offices or not, or whether it's just to "keep people in line" by voiding this, that and the other - is going to run into even more of the same problems we already face: people tend to not want to do it. Furthermore, the GM is the GM. The Senate would have to amend existing statute (possibly the Constitution?) to change the role of the Game Moderator and to subjugate him to the restraints of others, and at that point, well, it ceases to be Game Moderator, doesn't it? That's not going to happen within the confines of a confirmation hearing (not the intended purpose) or in enough time alongside it in a separate debate (the process would take days, if not weeks).

If only we still had a mechanism in place for a singular authority - maybe a President? - to be able to dismiss the Game Moderator if things got out of control...Tongue
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 05:40:02 PM »

Makes sense - thanks for clearing that up.

You're welcome!!

There is already a "triumvirate" of sorts in the story-telling department: the Game Moderator, flanked by the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of State. The Secretary of the Interior is allowed to craft stories relevant to the domestic front, the SoS can craft stories relevant to international affairs, and of course, the Game Moderator can tell stories from either category. Additionally, the Game Moderator has a little-mentioned "veto" power over both the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of State when it comes to voiding story-lines. I understand that is not what is being outlined here, but it's worth iterating.

Assigning even more people to the story-line team - whether they already hold/can hold other offices or not - is going to run into even more of the same problems we already face: people tend to not want to do it. Furthermore, the GM is the GM. The Senate would have to amend existing statute (possibly the Constitution?) to change the role of the Game Moderator and to subjugate him to the restraints of others, and at that point, well, it ceases to be Game Moderator, doesn't it? That's not going to happen within the confines of a confirmation hearing (not the intended purpose) or in enough time alongside it in a separate debate (the process would take days, if not weeks).

If only we still had a mechanism in place for a singular authority - maybe a President? - to be able to dismiss the Game Moderator if things got out of control...Tongue

Since the President brought it up, I'll talk about the veto power. I'll only use it if it's too much for Atlasia, conflicts with another story, or doesn't make sense. I plan on using the SOS and SOI to help a lot in my storytelling, hopefully this cooperation will negate the need for the veto power.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »

The GM is not a position you give someone just because they have spunk. It's for time tested players who are committed to the success of the game and who have proven their stability and reliability. Enduro is not fit for the office.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 06:07:50 PM »

The GM is not a position you give someone just because they have spunk. It's for time tested players who are committed to the success of the game and who have proven their stability and reliability. Enduro is not fit for the office.

Why give to someone more experienced? I've looked back on some other GM's, and I don't think Atlasia likes their term very much. If it doesn't work, why not try something else?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »

Senator DKrol, I agree that Enduro is untested and inexperienced, but don't you think you're being a little too hard on him?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 08:13:08 PM »

Senator DKrol, I agree that Enduro is untested and inexperienced, but don't you think you're being a little too hard on him?

I care about this game. This game needs strong, tested leadership. I will not let this games go down because people are afraid of hurting Enduro's feelings.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »

I care about this game. This game needs strong, tested leadership. I will not let this games go down because people are afraid of hurting Enduro's feelings.

This is assuming your childish attacks hurt my feelings; I do want to thank Senator Kent for coming to my defense.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 02:00:01 AM »

When speaking to your positives, people have often mentioned your high level of activity. What do you think is an appropriate amount of activity for a GM? At what level of inactivity would you consider yourself or any other GM a failure?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »

DKrol, this is a hearing to see if Enduro is the right candidate for GM. You are welcome to make that case, but having this screaming match between each other is not helpful to this process. I'd encourage you to either abstain from these proceedings or bring your concerns in a helpful process. As Enduro has already addressed some of your concerns, I think it would be best for you to ask him a list of concerns and then take it from there, because so far this isn't additive.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 12:22:45 PM »

When speaking to your positives, people have often mentioned your high level of activity. What do you think is an appropriate amount of activity for a GM? At what level of inactivity would you consider yourself or any other GM a failure?

A GM's activity is dependant on everyone else's activity; this job isn't just being active, it's about getting others active too, that's what I want to do. As for myself, I want to be very active, but that activity is for nothing if I can't get people to respond. I'll try to have the activity that's appropriate for how much activity is Atlasia has, but I'll also try to increase activity, so I can increase mine own.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »

I don't think any of us would treat the nominee more easily than another person in the same office. The respect accorded the GM has typically been rather...lacking.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »

DKrol, this is a hearing to see if Enduro is the right candidate for GM. You are welcome to make that case, but having this screaming match between each other is not helpful to this process. I'd encourage you to either abstain from these proceedings or bring your concerns in a helpful process. As Enduro has already addressed some of your concerns, I think it would be best for you to ask him a list of concerns and then take it from there, because so far this isn't additive.

All the concerns I have raised are valid.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »

I think Enduro could make a good GM. His inexperience is a worry, sure, but how many "experienced" people do we have that are willing?

I also agree with Blair's take--that more interesting events make for a far better Atlasia. The art of being the GM is to make things interesting without pissing too many people off--a major step in making Atlasia more active is to have a GM that can master this fine line of, shall we say, interest without insanity, and grumpy people not driving him/her out of office due to their unhappiness of a valid story. Maybe we can make a set of guidelines for GMs--kind of like a "style guide?" Elements of Game Moderation? Although that's more of a meta concern and off the important topic at hand--Enduro's confirmation hearing.

And DKrol--the concerns you're raising might be valid to a degree, but your saying it with the tact of a machine gun. Asking the necessary questions is a good thing, but don't risk turning a confirmation hearing into a flame war. And in this case you're less asking questions and more saying flat out that "Enduro's not fit for the office." Just start there: pretend that you're undecided, it'll go a long way in avoiding conflict and finding good answers.

Regarding the "triumvirate," Adam's spot-on--that their kind of is one, but constitutionally the GM is the head of it. BUT...I'm willing to bet Enduro would take criticism and suggestions:

I already have experienced some of the Atlasian mudslinging too. From Winfield and Dkrolga, Winfield wasn't as much as Dkrol; I respect both players, and don't hold anything against them, because they were mostly right.

Especially with the added emphasis, this sounds to me like he'd be more than willing to correct mistakes as they come, and accept criticism, without need for a formal tribunal.

Not that I get a vote, but I'd like to ask the nominee a question: what do you plan to do to keep your powers in check--as in, consulting with the SoI, SoS, and perhaps others to help create an interesting but not insane stream of storylines?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 10:03:51 PM »

I think Enduro could make a good GM. His inexperience is a worry, sure, but how many "experienced" people do we have that are willing?

I also agree with Blair's take--that more interesting events make for a far better Atlasia. The art of being the GM is to make things interesting without pissing too many people off--a major step in making Atlasia more active is to have a GM that can master this fine line of, shall we say, interest without insanity, and grumpy people not driving him/her out of office due to their unhappiness of a valid story. Maybe we can make a set of guidelines for GMs--kind of like a "style guide?" Elements of Game Moderation? Although that's more of a meta concern and off the important topic at hand--Enduro's confirmation hearing.

And DKrol--the concerns you're raising might be valid to a degree, but your saying it with the tact of a machine gun. Asking the necessary questions is a good thing, but don't risk turning a confirmation hearing into a flame war. And in this case you're less asking questions and more saying flat out that "Enduro's not fit for the office." Just start there: pretend that you're undecided, it'll go a long way in avoiding conflict and finding good answers.

Regarding the "triumvirate," Adam's spot-on--that their kind of is one, but constitutionally the GM is the head of it. BUT...I'm willing to bet Enduro would take criticism and suggestions:

I already have experienced some of the Atlasian mudslinging too. From Winfield and Dkrolga, Winfield wasn't as much as Dkrol; I respect both players, and don't hold anything against them, because they were mostly right.

Especially with the added emphasis, this sounds to me like he'd be more than willing to correct mistakes as they come, and accept criticism, without need for a formal tribunal.

Not that I get a vote, but I'd like to ask the nominee a question: what do you plan to do to keep your powers in check--as in, consulting with the SoI, SoS, and perhaps others to help create an interesting but not insane stream of storylines?

First, I want to thank you for voicing your support.

Also, I want to ask Dkrol to give me a list of questions to answer.

As for your question, I plan on talking to the positions you mentioned, it'll be good to have people cooperate with each other. Secondly, as mentioned earlier, I plan on contacting the owners of the major newspapers for each region, and getting them involved in the process. If a region doesn't have a major newspaper, I'll try to recruit them. Ultimately, I won't let these people create their own stories, just stuff like rewrites, if I approve of the rewrite, and allowing them to report stories.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 11:19:29 PM »

You want a drawn out list of questions like an elementary school home work assignment? Ok, I'll play your game.

1) What makes you qualified to serve as Game Moderator?
2) Do you understand the duties of the Game Moderator? Please explain them, in detail.
3) What experience do you have in Atlasia?
4) Why do you think you should be Game Moderator?
5) Do you understand macro economics? Please explain, in detail.
6) Do you understand current international relations? Please explain, in detail.
7) Do you agree with the assessment that there are far more qualified candidates than yourself for the office of Game Moderator?
Cool Why do you want to be Game Moderator?
9) How would you respond to an internal rebellion within Atlasia?
10) Please name the last three Presidents of Atlasia, preceding the incumbent.
11) How firm is you grasp of the English language? Please include a 500 word writing sample.
12) Explain your reasoning for running in the Northeast Regional Senate Special Election in February.
13) Were you a Griffin or Bore supporter?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 11:55:48 PM »

You want a drawn out list of questions like an elementary school home work assignment? Ok, I'll play your game.

2) Do you understand the duties of the Game Moderator? Please explain them, in detail.
6) Do you understand current international relations? Please explain, in detail.
7) Do you agree with the assessment that there are far more qualified candidates than yourself for the office of Game Moderator?
11) How firm is you grasp of the English language? Please include a 500 word writing sample.
12) Explain your reasoning for running in the Northeast Regional Senate Special Election in February.

"Elementary school home work assignment," some of us believe in progress instead of wasting time with needless attacks. Here's your answers:
1. I like storytelling, it is my greatest passion, I think that this is the greatest job in Atlasia when it comes to that; that's why I think I'm qualified, I know how to tell a story.
2. The duties of a Game Moderator, I'm my opinion, is too keep the game from dying, more or less. Without good storylines for the players to react to, the game becomes repetitive, and boring. Furtherly, it is to keep people up with what's going on, regular updates from the Game Moderator keeps people informed.
3. A stint as the Secretary of Veteran's Affairs in the Northeast, and currently a representative in the Northeast Assembly.
4. I think I should be GM because I love the game, I haven't been here long enough to be worn down by it; I have been here long enough to know that we have an activity problem, people won't play a game that doesn't challenge them. I'll be actively trying to give them the challenge.
5. Forgive me if my answer isn't very good, I find it easier to understand things then to get people to understand things. It is how the economy works on the big picture, explaining government, corporations, etc. role in the economy. GDP, unemployment, and other similar numbers are important to understanding this.
6. Yes, I understand that ISIS is causing a lot of problems in the Middle East, that Russia is trying to regain power, that Iran's nuclear capabilities has some people worried, that China's economy is quickly growing, that the some people want the Cuban embargo to end, International affairs are hard to keep up with. Although I know a lot, I admit I don't know everything, if only there was someone whose job it is to keep up and report international affairs. (SOS)
7. Yes
8. See number 1
9. If it was caused by me, I would resign, and try to make it right. If not, I'll try my best, through stories or my influence as Game Moderator to bring a peace.
10. Bore, Lumine, Cranberry; I think this question is stupid because there is a wiki I could've visited.
11. I like to think it's pretty good, because I speak it. Also, forgive me for not writing 500 words, I have real life responsibilities, I can't provide the wanted answer right now.
12. Oh, you're still caught up on that, I'd think someone who won would've gotten over it by now. Anyway, I ran because I wanted the people to be able to vote for someone or someone else; instead of a default.
13. I don't see how this is relevant.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:19 AM »

"Elementary school home work assignment," some of us believe in progress instead of wasting time with needless attacks. Here's your answers:
1. I like storytelling, it is my greatest passion, I think that this is the greatest job in Atlasia when it comes to that; that's why I think I'm qualified, I know how to tell a story.
2. The duties of a Game Moderator, I'm my opinion, is too keep the game from dying, more or less. Without good storylines for the players to react to, the game becomes repetitive, and boring. Furtherly, it is to keep people up with what's going on, regular updates from the Game Moderator keeps people informed.
3. A stint as the Secretary of Veteran's Affairs in the Northeast, and currently a representative in the Northeast Assembly.
4. I think I should be GM because I love the game, I haven't been here long enough to be worn down by it; I have been here long enough to know that we have an activity problem, people won't play a game that doesn't challenge them. I'll be actively trying to give them the challenge.
5. Forgive me if my answer isn't very good, I find it easier to understand things then to get people to understand things. It is how the economy works on the big picture, explaining government, corporations, etc. role in the economy. GDP, unemployment, and other similar numbers are important to understanding this.
6. Yes, I understand that ISIS is causing a lot of problems in the Middle East, that Russia is trying to regain power, that Iran's nuclear capabilities has some people worried, that China's economy is quickly growing, that the some people want the Cuban embargo to end, International affairs are hard to keep up with. Although I know a lot, I admit I don't know everything, if only there was someone whose job it is to keep up and report international affairs. (SOS)
7. Yes
8. See number 1
9. If it was caused by me, I would resign, and try to make it right. If not, I'll try my best, through stories or my influence as Game Moderator to bring a peace.
10. Bore, Lumine, Cranberry; I think this question is stupid because there is a wiki I could've visited.
11. I like to think it's pretty good, because I speak it. Also, forgive me for not writing 500 words, I have real life responsibilities, I can't provide the wanted answer right now.
12. Oh, you're still caught up on that, I'd think someone who won would've gotten over it by now. Anyway, I ran because I wanted the people to be able to vote for someone or someone else; instead of a default.

The "nominee" has failed to answer any singular question satisfactorily. He has not won over my support. His "answers" to questions 5, 6, and 9 are particularly troubling.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 03:38:04 AM »

To Enduro:

Well, I presume they could report on real-life stories unless they conflict yours, correct? Such as, if a foreign leader visits Atlanta in real life, that could be mentioned in The Southern Biscuit, but if that foreign leader was killed off in-game last week, or you simply want to take a different direction, they couldn't.

I mean, that's how I interpret Atlasian reality, although I've never been GM.

To DKrol:

Maybe you're having a bad day or something, but you seem far too angry at him. I get why you think he's unqualified--as I said, his inexperience is a valid concern--but it doesn't warrant asking him if he can speak English. Since none of our attempts worked, I'll try a silly webcomic to get the point across:

See? Now, just take a deep breath and handle this like the mature people I know you two are. Don't start World War 3 on the senate floor.

[Christie] Sometimes it takes a Governor to get anything done instead of just arguing! [/Christie] Tongue
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »

7. Yes
8. See number 1

The "nominee" has failed to answer any singular question satisfactorily. He has not won over my support. His "answers" to questions 5, 6, and 9 are particularly troubling.

The "senator" has given me a question, 10, that only has one correct answer, I gave it. Also, I told the truth of my campaign for Senate over and over, apparently truth isn't satisfactory.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »

Dkrol, I share some of your reservations, but you're becoming needlessly vicious. The last two questions above are particularly inappropriate: this is a nonpartisan office, not a patronage job. This kind of behavior is unbecoming of a senator and does no favors to your position.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 07:19:08 PM »

Dkrol, I share some of your reservations, but you're becoming needlessly vicious. The last two questions above are particularly inappropriate: this is a nonpartisan office, not a patronage job. This kind of behavior is unbecoming of a senator and does no favors to your position.

I felt that they were necessary to examine the character of the "nominee".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies