Confirmation Hearing: DemPGH for Secretary of the Interior
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:01:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: DemPGH for Secretary of the Interior
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: DemPGH for Secretary of the Interior  (Read 983 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »

Stay away from they, question him as your own peril
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2016, 03:53:39 PM by DemPGH »

Yeah, the President asked me if I would take this, and I said sure. I'm not looking to hold elected office and the old office of attorney general was my first post here a few years back, and I was very active in that role, often enjoying it. The wiki had just been brought up to date, I kept it up to date, plus filed several lawsuits, largely bringing the Court out of slumber. Tongue

As it stands now, this office is a combination of the old A.G. and SoIA, both of which I remember well.

My main goal is to bring the wiki up to date as it's close to a year out. That entails the following: 1) Establish the start and stop dates for the Senates that have been in session since then, which won't take much time, and 2) track down the statutes that have been signed since then and plug them in. That may take a little while.

I'll also try to keep any commentary to in-game stuff. Having helped in the past to write lengthy planks and having seen that they do little to affect anything, I'm therefore not a fan of long speeches that no one reads or which do not accomplish anything, nor am I fan of "story making power," so there you have it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »

DemPGH was arguably the most effective and active Attorney General during my four years in the game. At the time, I didn't agree with his tactics (mostly because my side was on the receiving end of his suits), but he was highly active, informed and performed all of the roles associated with the job. I feel this should be a no-brainer.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:05:23 PM »

DemPGH, I seem to remember you stating a few weeks back that you were considering leaving Atlasia for a while (I can't seem to find the specific post). If confirmed by the Senate, do you intend to remain in office long-term?

Regardless, the nominee is obviously highly qualified, and I am not aware of any ethical controversies that would cause me to withhold my support (as was the case with Mr. Talleyrand).
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:23 PM »

DemPGH, I seem to remember you stating a few weeks back that you were considering leaving Atlasia for a while (I can't seem to find the specific post). If confirmed by the Senate, do you intend to remain in office long-term?

I'm available for the foreseeable future. I really can't say about 1-2 years or so from now, though. Back in 2013 I did it for two terms and then I think it just became someone else's turn, although that was a while ago. The fact that it's non-political, I'm familiar with it, was active with it, and can kind of go off and do it on my own at my own pace makes it agreeable.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 09:04:46 AM »

DemPGH is very experienced, trustworthy, and involved. He's a great guy, and I think he'd do a great job here. I support his appointment to this position.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »

Thanks, Clark, I appreciate that!

Okay, start/stop dates for the Senates over the past year have been plugged in, now task 2 is find the statutes. Tongue Also, the sixty-fifth statutes are listed, but are blank, so they'll be easy to find. That'll be next.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:19:26 AM »

As you know, I am big fan of your work in many areas, (VP, Wiki etc etc etc).

Warning: Hard Questioning to Come:

However, as AG the last time you faced a certain lawsuit. During the course of that case it was my impression that you had become distracted by the pondering of motives behind the suit and thus failed to properly appreciate the particular legal details of the case. Granted this didn't effect the final outcome.

That being said, do you plan to place the appropriate emphasis on the legal details of any potential suits that might invole you either as defendent or plantiff for the government?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 12:55:59 PM »

As you know, I am big fan of your work in many areas, (VP, Wiki etc etc etc).

Thanks for noticing the less visible things. Some of us are more comfortable in the shadows. Tongue

That being said, do you plan to place the appropriate emphasis on the legal details of any potential suits that might invole you either as defendent or plantiff for the government?

Oh, of course. I really always did. People can be right or wrong, or persuasive or not persuasive, for a large number of reasons. (When the Pacific thing went down there really were a variety of ways to attack it, for instance). Trying cases IRL or a game is a highly subjective enterprise, but one's perceived motivations are never, and should never be, central. It's a pretty weak case if so! But also, you know, fifteen people can look at something, fourteen can see one thing, one can see something else, and that one can be right. Or the fourteen, it just depends. I think you have to look at a case and determine the best, most direct line of attack (or defense), and of course no one will always be right.

Of course during the time in question nearly three years ago there was a great deal of trolling going on, and highly illogical behavior tended to be the norm, so if I was ever concerned about someone's motivations it was in the context of that.

Now, would I refuse a case if I thought there wasn't much of an argument to be made? Yes. Back then there were a couple that came along by PM to me that the base of which was just vendetta/personal or political grudge, and I refused them.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 01:43:33 PM »

I will support the nominee and motion for a final vote.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »

Let's vote!

Aye, nay or abstain
Clark Kent
ClarkKent