Massachusetts Governor 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:42:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Massachusetts Governor 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Massachusetts Governor 2018  (Read 4509 times)
politicallpd
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:37:36 PM »

What's the preliminary outlook for the Massachusetts' gubernatorial race for 2018? Baker is very popular right now, but I can see a Democrat running as more of a moderate give him a good run next cycle. My thinking goes that being popular in-and-of-itself isn't an achievement, a governor must have a vision for his/her state and a plan to take it there.

I'm thinking a mayor with executive experience would be the strongest candidate. Setti Warren (D-Newton), Joe Curtatone (D-Somerville) or Kim Driscoll (D-Salem) would all be strong options in my opinion.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »

No A-list or B-list candidate will challenge him. Safe R.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:48:11 AM »

1) It's a mid-term cycle.  That's better news for minority party candidates.
2) He's popular
3) The Commonwealth has a history of being GOP-friendly in Gov. races

Barring something major, Baker is likely in good shape.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:47:04 PM »

Please let Driscoll run and get her out of this city.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:27:19 PM »

The only question is whether Baker can top Bill Weld in 1994.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:28:16 PM »

Assuming Baker maintains his popularity, he will crush any opponent.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 11:01:57 PM »

If a Republican is President, this could be a close race (and Dems might get an A-lister to run, probably Seth Moulton). If a Democrat is, and barring any scandals, then Baker is likely safe. I don't think it's possible to do better than Weld, however.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 06:54:03 AM »

Baker will be reelected easily unless a major scandal occurs. The only thing than can happen to him, is that he gets a primary challenge from a right-winger. But that won’t be a threat to him.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »

a primary challenge from a right-winger.

No chance. Maybe if he breaks his no new taxes pledge, but even then I doubt it.

(Some perennial candidate like Christy Mihos likely will challenge him, but they won't get past the convention).
RR
TheodoreDewey
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.29, S: 4.52

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 01:05:45 PM »

Sure do hope the Boston Toad (Croakly) challenges Baker again and loses.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »

Sure do hope the Boston Toad (Croakly) challenges Baker again and loses.

At this point, me too,just to keep the meme going.
JMT

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 10:33:48 PM »

Unless something major happens or the political climate is strongly favoring democrats, I don't see Baker losing. If one if the above is true, then democrats may field a few strong candidates.

I could potentially see Seth Moulton running. He would be a good option, he's young, has political experience, and could appeal to independents in a general election. I'd endorse him if he ran. Perhaps he's testing the waters, he was highly and vocally critical of Baker's statement about Syrian refugees.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 02:24:46 AM »

Carmen Ortiz/Marty Walsh seems like a pretty strong ticket to me.
j4kor
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »

likely R
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 07:34:25 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2016, 08:45:54 AM by Figueira »

I think he's favored for now, but I don't think he's absolutely 100% safe like some people think. A lot can happen in 2 1/2 years.

Even if he gets a similar percentage, the map won't look as impressive. A lot of tiny towns in Western Massachusetts have trended left since then.

Edit: the link just shows the county map, but if you look at the town map, the Democrat only won six towns.
JMT

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »

Carmen Ortiz/Marty Walsh seems like a pretty strong ticket to me.

While that does sound like a strong ticket, Marty Walsh probably wouldn't give up his job as Mayor of Boston to be the next Lt Gov, a job with very little power. That seems like a big step down. I could see Walsh rubbing on the top of the ticket for Governor some day though. Or I could see him being like Tom Menino, staying as Mayor of Boston forever
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »

Either Kennedy or Moulton would be the Democratic candidate if they jumped in. If they both ran, I feel like Kennedy would be a better idea for Democrats, as Moulton's district is much more competitive. If neither ran, it's Safe Republican, with Kim Driscoll having the potential to lose worse than Mark Roosevelt. On the third party side, Evan Falchuk is running again.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 12:58:56 PM »

Seth Moulton may be literally the only high-level Democrat in the state who has criticized Baker recently. Everyone else has left a trail of "Baker is a good guy you can work with" quotes and won't bother running against him.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »

Either Kennedy or Moulton would be the Democratic candidate if they jumped in. If they both ran, I feel like Kennedy would be a better idea for Democrats, as Moulton's district is much more competitive. If neither ran, it's Safe Republican, with Kim Driscoll having the potential to lose worse than Mark Roosevelt. On the third party side, Evan Falchuk is running again.

Neither Kennedy nor Moulton are going to give up safe House seats (Moulton's seat isn't really that competitive) for a governor's race that they probably wouldn't win. I mean, I'd happily vote for them, but they wouldn't want to take that risk.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 08:32:55 PM »

Neither Kennedy nor Moulton are going to give up safe House seats (Moulton's seat isn't really that competitive) for a governor's race that they probably wouldn't win. I mean, I'd happily vote for them, but they wouldn't want to take that risk.

They wouldn't have to give up their House seats.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »

Yes, but it would make everything much more difficult if they won both elections.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 07:29:44 AM »

Don't reps need to give up their seats to run for governor in a normal year?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »

Nope, and I'm not even sure it would be constitutional to prohibit running for both offices simultaneously, since one is a federal office and the other is a state office.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »

Nope, and I'm not even sure it would be constitutional to prohibit running for both offices simultaneously, since one is a federal office and the other is a state office.

Are there any examples of people running for House and Governor (of any state) simultaneously? I can't think of any, but I haven't been closely following politics for that long.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies