Do you upgrade your phone every year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:46:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you upgrade your phone every year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you upgrade your phone every year?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Do you upgrade your phone every year?  (Read 492 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »

No, this is honestly a bigger waste of money than upgrading your computer every year seeing as how last year's model of a cellphone can always do 98% of what the next year's model can.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:19 PM »

No (not a masochist)

The fact that I just got a new phone notwithstanding...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:11:26 PM »

My phone will be paid off in full once I get my tax return but I'm going to keep it for a long f[inks]ing time. Because it's still a badass motherf[inks]er and thus I'd rather just keep it for $15/month instead of $40+/month for some slightly upgraded model.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »

"Upgrade" has become an euphemism for "replace", I see?

Ideally not, though I incidentally had to buy new ones in 2015 and 2014, seeing as two of them got stolen...
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 11:08:24 PM »

Usually every 2 years
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »

No; I just keep it until it no longer works.  Why waste a perfectly good phone (and your money) just because it's not the newest?

I did, however, purchase a new phone recently, because my old one had terrible reception.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 01:05:31 PM »

what?  I don't even upgrade my razorblade every year.  The one I have has been with me for about four years and I'll keep it till it dies.  The one I had before this lasted for five years before it died. 

They don't make 'em like they used to.  My mother had the same phone from 1961 till 1993.  Technically it belongs to Ma Bell, but they stopped charging her a monthly rent in the late 70s.  I bet that phone still works.  It was a heavy black thing with a rotary dial.  It doesn't take pictures or surf the internet, but it could make one hell of a phone call. 

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »

No. I miss my moto flip phone but I had to replace it so I got an iphone 4s.  Still ticking.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »

Nope.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »

I still have the iPhone 4 from 2011 -it works fine.  
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 08:56:12 PM »

I still have the iPhone 4 from 2011 -it works fine. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 08:56:30 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2016, 11:56:43 PM by muon2 »

I just got my 5th mobile phone since 2001 last month, so that's an upgrade about every 4 years. My most recent upgrade was driven by the ever better offers to trade in for a new contract. The offer I just took gave me a new phone (Droid Turbo 2), a tablet with a data package (Ellipsis 10"), and a couple of accessories for no extra charge.  

nb. I still have the same landline phone since 1988.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 11:21:20 PM »

Every 2 years or so for me.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 11:56:24 PM »

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 12:04:11 AM »

No, I'm not Mama's Special Big Boy. 
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 12:37:33 AM »

I got my first smartphone in 2010, and then my second in 2015 after the first gave up. I hope that I can extend the life of this one past 2020.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 09:03:01 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2016, 09:04:42 AM by angus »

I just got my 5th mobile phone since 2001 last month, so that's an upgrade about every 4 years. My most recent upgrade was driven by the ever better offers to trade in for a new contract. The offer I just took gave me a new phone (Droid Turbo 2), a tablet with a data package (Ellipsis 10"), and a couple of accessories for no extra charge.  

nb. I still have the same landline phone since 1988.

Me too.  Somewhere, probably in a box in the basement, is my landline phone.  It's a beige pushbutton deskphone I acquired in the 80s and it has a little red and white sticker that says "Property of AT&T".  It probably still works but I haven't tried it in a decade or so.  I've had six landline phone numbers since 1988.  I've never actually used my current landline.  Never plugged a phone into it to see if I get a dial tone--not even sure I could remember the number--but I have one because it was cheaper to get the "triple play" instead of just cable and internet.  

I have had two mobile phones in my life.  Got the first one in 2007 and the second one in 2012 Both are the kind that you flip open and they have a little camera.  Both came free with the service contract.  I did get my wife a fancy one for her birthday last August.  She had been wanting a "smart" phone for years but never bought herself one.  After reading a bunch of reviews and spec sheets and commentaries, I discerned that the two favorites last summer were the Apple iPhone 6 and the Samsung Galaxy S6, both retailing for around 700 dollars.  (ouch.)  I went to the mall and tried them on for size, kicked the tires, and pulled at the stitches.  Terribly mixed metaphor.  Eventually I decided I liked the Samsung better.  I liked the way it felt, looked, and acted more than the Apple phone.  Then I went on line and found a good price on newegg.com.  I think I got it for around $525 with free shipping, in time for her birthday.  We thought about shopping around for a better service price, but honestly I think AT&T was the best deal for us, and her 4G plan only increased our monthly bill by about ten dollars.

I learned quite a bit about "smart" phones.  Apparently there's one type that works on AT&T and a different one that works on other networks, such as Verizon.  I also learned that you have to charge them frequently.  My phone lasts me about ten days before I have to charge it.  She has to charge hers damn near every evening.  Also, they're rather big and bulky.  Also, they seem to be addictive.  I was in the waiting room at my son's dentist last month while he was being tortured by the dental hygienist, and when I glanced up from my book I noticed that all four other people in the room had their noses, eyes, and thumbs buried in their telephones.  Surreal.  I had nightmares about these droid people sitting on the toilet, constipated, glued to their tiny screens.  I think I just may be the last man in the world who actually reads books.  I don't imagine I'll be getting myself a "smart" phone any time soon, but I will admit that hers came in handy a few times, such as when we were exhausted from walking around in the crowded shopping mall trying to find a place that sold a certain brand and type of shoes for the best price.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »

I actually use my old landline phone regularly. It's a beige pushbutton wall phone. It was especially handy when a powerful wind storm knocked out power to our house for two days, so charging the smartphones was difficult. Old landlines have their own internal power on the wire, so they don't depend on the electric company.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 12:34:59 PM »

I actually use my old landline phone regularly. It's a beige pushbutton wall phone. It was especially handy when a powerful wind storm knocked out power to our house for two days, so charging the smartphones was difficult. Old landlines have their own internal power on the wire, so they don't depend on the electric company.

Maybe that why some people choose to pay (their parents money, sometimes) for a landline in addition to their super-ultra smartphone with unlimitied data.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »

Maybe that why some people choose to pay (their parents money, sometimes) for a landline in addition to their super-ultra smartphone with unlimitied data.

Don't forget that all important iPad with unlimited data as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies