Could cocaine and khat be legalized in another 50 years? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:55:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Could cocaine and khat be legalized in another 50 years? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Could cocaine and khat be legalized in another 50 years?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Could cocaine and khat be legalized in another 50 years?  (Read 1824 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: January 29, 2016, 07:31:54 PM »

No?

I think that there's a non-negligible possibility that MDMA, LSD and psilocybin mushrooms will be legalized, along with powerful new synthetic nootropic-type drugs that induce happiness but not euphoria along with increased cognitive capacity.

Psychedelic drugs and empathogens actually have a lot of value to society. I realize that this makes me sound like a crank or an idiot but there have been a number of studies indicating that MDMA has value in treating patients with PTSD and that it has a lot of value for therapeutic reasons. The same goes for "magic mushrooms" and LSD with regards to therapy. In general, these drugs are not fully understood but I imagine that, MDMA in particular, could become a mainstay of later 21st Century and 22nd Century society in terms of common social rituals and the like.

Like it or not, many drugs are here to stay in society, the question is which ones will have staying power and which ones will be discarded; drugs are too potent, too exhilarating to be disposed of and no war and no social controls can stop people from using them in some form or fashion. It's pretty taboo to say this, of course, but I don't see what's so terrible about the notion of people imbibing something on occasions that makes them feel pleasant or euphoric or whatever; that's, you know, our society's experience with alcohol, which has a lot of terrible consequences. It would, in the end, be a good thing if we substituted some drugs for binge drinking, I think.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »

Khat actually is a decent cash crop for impverished areas, which makes it a pretty bad blow to criminalise it.

Also, our government has just randomly decided to ban, like everything, from poppers to laughing gas. Ugh.

laughing gas is a great example of a drug that should be legal and easy to purchase.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies