What Issues Do You Disagree With Your Party On?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:20:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What Issues Do You Disagree With Your Party On?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What Issues Do You Disagree With Your Party On?  (Read 3061 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 07:44:50 AM »

I'm for strong borders, most libertarians are not.  I'm not against using the military to help people getting screwed over by local big bads.  That's pretty much it.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »

For the most part, it could be summed up as issues relating to religion (abortion, gay marriage, etc.). Other than that, the fact that I support legalizing marijuana put me at odds with a lot of the party, and my views on immigration are far from Trump like, although I'm not sure that oneactually puts me outside of the mainstream for Republicans.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2016, 08:56:14 PM by L.D. Smith »

Most of what Intell said, though not his pro-Pollution-if-it-favors-the-workers-in-the-short-run stance, his warmongering [The real W.J. Bryan was pacifistic like my own views], or some of the immigration stances he has, or his skepticism regarding free college...oh and I don't support Charter Schools at all.

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2016, 03:14:15 PM »

I disagree with so much of this:
- Disagree with Obsession about 'freedom' and 'liberty'
- Disagree with the concept of Liberalism and Individual Rights

- Support NSA and every government agency for the sake of the community
- Pro-Life and deeply so
- Support Private, Religous and Charter schools funded by the government
- Oppose Euthanasia, unless under extreme scenarios.
- Even if I support Marijuana Legislation, I still disagree with the concept the Democrats have, that a person has the freedom to consume whatever they like, with no regards to their society.
- I support the Death Penalty, though I believe it should be restricted.

- By Ideology I am Wilsonian and support wars and institutions and agreements to further freedom, rights and democracy around the world, even if I disagree with how America goes on about it.
- I have sympathies towards communism, and during the cold war, I would have sided with the Soviet Union and most 3rd world revolutions against the US.

- Oppose Affirmative Action, as it is dis-advantageous to poor whites.
- Would like to drill and further exploit national resources in a controlled by, with natural resources being nationalised by the government.
- I oppose the Fed, and would like to audit it, and if possible I would be fine to abolish it.
- I would like the nationalisation of the banking system to be controlled by the workers and people.
- I oppose the judiciary, and would like to have it elected.

- I am opposed to the restrictive ways of 'PC culture', as well as the obsession with sex and drugs by the 'hippe or liberal' culture.
- By my philosophy, I am reactionary and traditionalist until I am proven wrong.
- I support having non-mandatory praying daysprayer in school, as well as people saying the pledge of the allegiance.
- I oppose Tariffs, while still not liking 'free trade' for corporations.
- I oppose illegal immigration, and would not accept illegal immigrant in the country, to have citizenship, and for them to only work if there is a labour shortage.
- I believe it is Immoral to continue with accepting illegal immigrants, when at this stage legal workers, are under paid and there is still quite high unemployment.

- I oppose Femenism and SJW and oppose 'equal pay for equal work', as skill does pay in part to do that.
- I oppose Common Core, and this education focused learning, which does little to prepare you for life, which is why to an extent
I oppose Sanders policy for Free College, which students will use for whatever, black studies or whatever other BS subject there is.
- I would abolish standardized testing, and return education back to the local government and have funds go to the Department of Education, which allocated the money to local school, with full control.

- I want to check immigrants that come into the US, especially refugees from Syria and other third world conturies.
- I support assimilation of immigrants, while retaning aspects from their own culture.
- I support banning the burqa and niqab in public places.
- I support banning barbaric practice of hilal meat.
- I support remaning and further involving religion and god in government and society
After I crossed out what I don't agree with, there's only a few still remaining.
RR
TheodoreDewey
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.29, S: 4.52

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »

Raising the minimum wage to $15 so the poor can survive.
New version of Glass-Steagall to prevent another recession.
Higher income and inheritance tax instead of cutting social programs to cut the deficit.
Climate Change is real, needs to be taken seriously.
Non-bureaucratic trade unions should be supported, not taken down.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »

Higher income and inheritance tax instead of cutting social programs to cut the deficit.
HOW ARE YOU A REPUBLICAN?
RR
TheodoreDewey
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.29, S: 4.52

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »

HOW ARE YOU A REPUBLICAN?
Very conservative when it comes to social and religious issues, which I personally consider more important. I think it's silly that having a stable economy and ensuring the middle class has a disposable income to keep consumption up are not considered Republican stances any longer.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »

I think factionalism is a silly waste of time, which is definitely verboten in Labour.

Also I increasingly think the TV licence is becoming an increasingly anachronistic manner of funding the Beeb that should be changed (even though I'd never want it privatised or forced to show adverts).
hopper
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 11:34:50 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2016, 11:38:16 PM by hopper »

Gay Marriage
Immigration Reform-Well 53% of Republican Voters in a Pew Research Survey support either/or
"permanent legal status" or "pathway to citizenship."
Tax Cuts-Do Republicans want to cut taxes every election?
Gun Rights-There should be a ban on assault weapons.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »

Wallstreet Bailouts
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2016, 11:49:58 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

This is a hard question, because the official GOP platform doesn't really address some of these issues.  If I don't know what the platform says, then I'll go by what the majority of the party leadership believes.

Illegal Immigration: Many illegal aliens have been in our country for 10 years, 20 years, maybe longer.  They've established themselves here, so deporting them isn't feasible.  Grant amnesty to illegals who have lived here beyond a certain threshold of time (5 years, 10 years, etc.) and deport all future ones.
Environment: Climate change is real and affected, at least in part, by human activity.  Provide market-based incentives for sustainable development, including an environmental "sin tax" that places tariffs on imports based on their sustainability.  Conservatives have always upheld the free market as more effective than regulation, so why don't we use the market to promote environmental protection instead of denying the science?
Equal Pay for Equal Work: Strongly support, as long as women are working the same hours, in the same job, at the same level of seniority as men.
Paid Leave: Support, but allow exemptions for employers under a certain level.  We should possibly consider having the government run such a program instead of businesses.  At the very least, paid family leave should be optional, but not mandatory.
Term Limits: Strongly oppose term limits on Congress or the Supreme Court.  Congress is not like the presidency; it is a legislative body with hundreds of people, and doesn't invest most of its power in a single person (like the presidency does).  Although there are certainly some bad apples in Congress, term limits would force the good members out with the bad ones.  And as for the Supreme Court, there's a reason the founding fathers specifically made it a life term.  By term limiting them, you make the Court too political and subject to the whims of the president, who can replace them all if he/she doesn't like their decisions.  It expands the president's power to a dangerous level.
Education: Oppose efforts to abolish the Department of Education.  While I believe that specific education standards should be mostly left to states, there should be some federal oversight.
Death Penalty: Oppose, but believe the federal government should not interfere with existing state laws.
Foreign Policy: Support an internationalist foreign policy of working with our allies.  The UN's peacekeeping forces should be used to protect US interests, and war should be a last resort.
Gun Control: I oppose most forms of gun control, but support background checks of criminal and mental health records.
Separation of Church and State: Keep existing religious references in the government as long as they are denominationally neutral, but ban future references.
Free Speech: Oppose mandates for schoolchildren to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.  Oppose bans on flag desecration and censorship in most forms.
Puerto Rico: Support independence, but the federal government should allow an advisory vote on statehood, independence, or territorial status, followed by a referendum based on the outcome of this.
Obamacare: Support repeal and replacement, but put existing recipients on Medicaid or Medicare, according to age.

I also supported the auto bailout and civil unions (before the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage).

Don't most Tea Party Republicans support this?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »

- Pro-Life and deeply so
- Even if I support Marijuana Legislation, I still disagree with the concept the Democrats have, that a person has the freedom to consume whatever they like, with no regards to their society.
- By Ideology I am Wilsonian and support wars and institutions and agreements to further freedom, rights and democracy around the world, even if I disagree with how America goes on about it.
- I have sympathies towards communism, and during the cold war, I would have sided with the Soviet Union and most 3rd world revolutions against the US.
- Would like to drill and further exploit national resources in a controlled by manner, with natural resources being nationalised by the government.
- I oppose the Fed, and would like to audit it, and if possible I would be fine to abolish it.
- I would like the nationalisation of the banking system to be controlled by the workers and people.
- I am opposed to the restrictive ways of 'PC culture', as well as the obsession with sex and drugs by the 'hippe or liberal' culture.
- By my philosophy, I am reactionary and traditionalist until I am proven wrong.
- I support having non-mandatory praying days in school, as well as people saying the pledge of the allegiance.
- I oppose illegal immigration, and would not accept illegal immigrant in the country, to have citizenship, and for them to only work if there is a labour shortage.
- I believe it is Immoral to continue with accepting illegal immigrants, when at this stage legal workers, are under paid and there is still quite high unemployment.
- I oppose Femenism and SJW and oppose 'equal pay for equal work', as skill does pay in part to do that.
- I oppose Common Core, and this education focused learning, which does little to prepare you for life, which is why to an extent I oppose Sanders policy for Free College, which students will use for whatever, black studies or whatever other BS subject there is.
- I would abolish standardized testing, and return education back to the local government and have funds go to the Department of Education, which allocated the money to local school, with full control.
- I want to check immigrants that come into the US, especially refugees from Syria and other third world conturies.
- I support assimilation of immigrants, while retaning aspects from their own culture.
- I support remaining and further involving religion and god in government and society.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »

+Tony Blair wasn't the anti-christ
+Fully support air strikes in Syria
+Slightly supportive of Academies
+Want to keep Trident
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 06:01:46 PM »

Can I do duel parties? Because I consider myself as a part of two different parties.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »

You? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!
Can I do duel parties? Because I consider myself as a part of two different parties.
I don't think parties are allowed to duel. Sorry.

Just kidding, I know what you meant. Sure, go ahead.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »

how about saying what issues you disagree with of the movement or tradition you most stringly disagree with?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 08:49:42 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2016, 11:09:44 PM by Blue3 »

As a Liberal, and a Democrat, in the USA...

- I'm more understanding of the pro-life side, but pretty centrist on the issue. I know there's some awful, sexist, ignorant, pro-lifers... but there's sensible ones too. When exactly in our development do we become a person in the legal sense, with the right to life? Science has shown how early our brain development and pain receptors are, and I expect science to uncover more about the issue too. I can see the merit behind erring on the side of caution, on the side of life. That's not an inherently anti-women position. Saying all pro-life sentiment means being anti-women is not only wrong, but also hugely divisive when it doesn't have to be. I think we need to focus on providing access to contraception, awareness of contraception, and technology to develop better forms of contraception, to make the need of abortion to be as small as possible.

-I'm understanding on gun rights. Not a gun fan myself, never owned or shot one and don't plan to, but I understand where people are coming from and have friends who collect guns as hobbies and go out to shooting ranges for fun. I want to reduce gun violence, which really is a crisis and tragedy in the United States, but the solutions have to be real and prohibition won't happen (and prohibition never solves anything in the US).

- I'd rather intervene when it comes to severe human rights crises where we can make a difference, like Syria, than not. (And I still think we should go after Assad just as much as ISIS, for a particular example). We need to put humanity before nationalist sentiment, we're people first. (I also wouldn't mind a world government in the future, if done right.)

- Even disregarding the above point, I believe we need to maintain a strong military and military superiority. Cuts can be made, for sure (especially with advanced technology replacing people), but I don't believe in the "cut 90% of the military!" that some liberals do.

- I see the need to consolidate, and minimize unnecessary costs, in government/regulations/bureaucracy/laws in general as well as welfare programs in particular. There is waste. There are a few areas where government should not be responsible. Republicans usually go overboard on this. It shouldn't be a huge issue. But it's something Democrats should recognize and have a reality-based plan on.

- While I support immigration reform, I'm not a fan of people creating their mini-countries and not integrating with the rest of society. While not completely assimilate, immigrants need to integrate, meaning learn English and not stay in very secluded societies. (Like with China-town's... how can your family live in the U.S. for generations and not have learned English or really interact with the larger community? Really? That's just one example.)

- Warren/Sanders talk of breaking up the big banks for the heck of it or as punishment, or punishing bankers or the wealthy for simply being that, as misguided and ugly. I'm for things like auditing the Fed, or breaking up a bank if it's really unhealthy and might need to be bailed out in the future, but doing it for the sake of it... no. I also think we should get rid of anti-monopoly/trust laws in general... I understand them, but I think we need to be more focused on outcomes (like that pharmacy guy raising prices for no good reason) instead opposing mergers on principle.

- I'm open to "right to work." Not a big priority, not completely sold on it yet, but it makes sense to me. Democrats seem to reflexive on it, and focus too much on the end justifying the means, when explaining their support for it.

- We need to focus less on preventing global warming (which is pretty much a lost cause by now) and more now on how we need to upgrade our infrastructure to deal with it, and change our messaging overall.Though of course I still heavily support increasing our Clean Energy use, in power plants and automobiles, and filtering on factories. I just think we need to change how we talk about it and how we focus on it. Belittling the other side for not accepting the science for the last 15 years hasn't worked. Try a new approach to get the same or similar results.

- I recognize we need some kind of Entitlement Reform. I want a more progressive-minded solution, but I recognize it's a problem and we should campaign on our own solutions for it instead of letting the GOP dominate the issue.
Which leads me to the next, and probably biggest, issue.......

- I think our priorities as a party can be pretty messed-up sometimes, and our messaging can be awful.

I think those are the big ones, though I might have missed something else.

And of course I agree on things like
-Tax Reform (effective minimum rate on millionaires around 30%, get rid of subsidies for fossil fuels, unhealthy foods, and companies that ship jobs overseas... maybe a financial transaction tax, carbon tax... analyze every deduction/subsidy/credit in the tax code to simplify as much as possible... limit the mortgage interest deduction... probably expand the EITC)
-Infrastructure Improvement (and not only transportation, also water/energy/waste/schools/houses/etc. and more)
-Raising the Minimum Wage
-making paid Sick/Vacation/Parental Leave a mandatory benefit
-Equal Pay for Women (the Equal Rights Amendment finally passing would be awesome)
-free Childcare
-better and better-funded Education
-Universal Pre-K
-expanded Afterschool/Summer Learning Programs
-affordable College and free community college (free overall would be nice)
-more affordable Healthcare, a lot can be done on pharmaceuticals, allowing importation and Medicare to negotiate prices, stop blocking of generic drugs and unreasonable price hikes, malpractice reform, make Medicaid only federal-run instead of leaving some of it to the states like it is now (single-payer healthcare would be nice too)
-the Equality Act to get rid of all the anti-gay discrimination in adoption/employment/housing/medicine/etc. that's still legal
-decriminalizing drugs and legalizing marijuana, lower drinking age... health treatment for drugs and other addiction, not prison
-investing more in Science and Technology (medicine, clean energy, space, cutting-edge technology, etc.)
-expanding Social Security
-phasing out Fossil Fuels and gas-powered cars
-cleaning up pollution and waste and protecting wildlife/forests
-protections against cruelty to animals (pets, agriculture, zoos, circuses, wildlife, etc.) and euthanasia in most cases that aren't end-of-life for animals
-creating a debt forgiveness program in exchange for some form of completed national/community service
-universal voter registration and updating (perhaps mandatory voting, like in Australia)
-criminal justice reform (cop cameras, disclose whenever someone is killed/harmed because of an interaction with police and how/why with documentation, better police-neighborhood relations, independent investigations, train police to limit the use of force and how to de-escalate and have good public relations, get rid of mandatory minimum sentencing, not prison for nonviolent or low-level offenders)
-end the death penalty
-end for-profit prisons, make it more rehabilitation-focused
-allow more flexibility with intellectual property
-nonpartisan congressional redistricting
-campaign finance reform and disclosure
-extend early voting nationwide, and make Election Day a national holiday
-restore/update the Voting Rights Act
-continue to audit the Federal Reserve (but it's crazy to politicize or abolish it)
-changing arcane rules in the Senate to make it more democratic
-getting rid of the Electoral College to make it popular vote and have a run-off with the top 2
- advocate repairing relations around the world where it makes sense (like Cuba, Palestine, Iran)
- maybe something like a global Marshall Plan to help develop other countries and raise their living/environmental standards
-advocate human rights and democracy everywhere
-protecting Internet Neutrality and increasing access
-more social liberalization, getting rid of laws that punish people when there's no harm
-I've heard there's a program that gave foreclosed homes to the homeless (in Utah, of all places) that effectively ended homelessness. We should try that on a national scale.
-keep illegal torture, extraordinary rendition, imprisonment without trial, search/seizure without warrant, etc.
-prohibit private militaries/intelligence, like Blackwater
-the First Amendment: separation of church and state, religious freedom
-more disclosure from the government in general, and expand whistleblower protections
-expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and CNCS
-universal background checks for guns
-expand access to mental healthcare
-pathway to citizenship for everyone
-incentivize businesses to share profits with employees
-fully fund and expand veterans' programs to make sure veterans receive help on-time
-etc.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 10:29:04 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2016, 11:34:18 PM by Clarko95 »

*snip*

....?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 08:02:09 AM »

Let's see:

- I support a large reduction in corporate taxation.
- Despite agreeing with the general premise that we should not be deporting however many millions of people it would take, I still think we need a comprehensive solution to the problem that does involve halting illegal immigration.
- The Democrats are probably too pro-Israel for my tastes
- I'm for raising the retirement age.
- I'm fine with drilling for oil, though it really does not seem like priority at the moment. Just as long as we continue to have a balanced energy portfolio.
- I'm for Voter ID, as well as some of the voting enfranchisement that Democrats generally offer.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »

*snip*

....?

I'm more hawkish then the average democrat and the democratic party for those purposes.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 11:16:23 AM »

Oh, and I'm getting tired of the whole word police nonsense that seems to be dominating the Democratic Party as of late.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 12:05:50 PM »

*snip*

....?
I'm more hawkish then the average democrat and the democratic party for those purposes.

I think he's pointing out that it's a bit odd for you to support "wars and institutions and agreements to to further freedom, rights and democracy around the world" when you also disagree with "Obsession about 'freedom' 'and 'liberty'" and "the concept of Liberalism and Individual Rights"
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »

*snip*

....?

I think he's pointing out that it's a bit odd for you to support "wars and institutions and agreements to to further freedom, rights and democracy around the world" when you also disagree with "Obsession about 'freedom' 'and 'liberty'" and "the concept of Liberalism and Individual Rights"

I oppose the concept of Individual Rights, but I believe in a society you are entailed to collective rights that you work with for your nations. Also I would support wars to free the people in the third-world, but in the first world like in the US, there is an obsession in the country about 'liberty and freedom', such as abortion, NSA, Guns or whatever.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »

- Pro-Life and deeply so
- Would like to drill and further exploit national resources in a controlled by manner, with natural resources being nationalised by the government.
- I support having non-mandatory praying days in school, as well as people saying the pledge of the allegiance.
- I oppose Common Core, and this education focused learning, which does little to prepare you for life, which is why to an extent I oppose Sanders policy for Free College, which students will use for whatever, black studies or whatever other BS subject there is.
- I support remaning and further involving religion and god in government and society.

That's all I think for now.

Not only to the democratic party, but in general the Left.

If we had a Fascist-AU avatar, that'd be most fitting.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »

Here are my biggest disagreements with the Republican Party:
1. I oppose the whole "peace through strength" thing. Staying safe from attacks by making sure people are too afraid to attack is immoral; instead let's have "strength through peace," let's be friends, no body attacks their friends. I recognize that ISIS is never going to be our friends, but for people like Iran, who thought we were going to be friends with Britain after the Revolution?
2. I'm prolife, but I don't think abortion should be banned. We'd be more effective at saving lives if we were to offer incentives to keep the child.
3. Our wars, we need to stop fighting fights that aren't ours.
4. Gay marriage shouldn't be banned, it shouldn't a states thing, it should be a church issue. Christians need to take a step back, and ask ourselves "is it our job to force these people to change?"

Some disagreements with the Libertarian Party:
1. We cannot have an open border, we should change how we do immigration, but inviting whoever to come in is suicide.
2. Gay marriage shouldn't be completely legal, see number 4 of the Republican ones.
3. Abortion shouldn't be completely legal, what about the right to life?
4. We shouldn't completely leave the international scene, we should scale back our involvement, and stop all these interventions, but we can't let another Hitler happen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies