Pro-Life People Only: How Should Abortion be Punished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:04:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Pro-Life People Only: How Should Abortion be Punished?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pro-Life People Only: How Should Abortion be Punished?  (Read 3288 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:02:40 PM »

Doctors- Whatever the sentencing laws are for first-degree murder, up to and including the death penalty

Women- No more than 5 years in prison for the first offense with mandatory counseling.  No minimum sentence for the first offense.  Harder punishments for subsequent abortions.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:52 PM »

Death penalty for both the doctor and the woman.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2016, 11:21:09 PM by Classic Conservative »

Doctors: Loss of medical license, up to 20 years in prison and a $5 million fine at a minimum. Highest possible punishment the death penalty by gas chamber.

Women: 2 years in prison minimum, $1 million dollar fine minimum. Highest possible punishment 60 years in prison and a $15 million fine
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:33:55 PM »

The woman generally shouldn't be punished, not because the act isn't wrong but because there are good sociological reasons not to. I don't know how the doctor should be punished but it should be a punishment that's existent and significant but not so steep as to ignore the fact that most people do, psychologically, process abortion and murder as at least different in degree (whether this difference in perception has any basis in reality is not really the point; difference in perception is relevant in a democratic society).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:54:28 PM »

Doctor: 2nd degree murder
Woman: Accomplice to murder
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:05:52 AM »

Doctor: 2nd degree murder
Woman: Accomplice to murder
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:13:49 AM »

Highest possible punishment the death penalty by gas chamber.
One people, one nation, one leader! Hail pro-lifers!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:07:21 AM »

The fact that you would, anything about the debate on the death penalty completely set aside, call your, apparently preferred, method of capital punishment the "gas chamber" without even thinking about what this f-ing word means in a historical context is indeed very troubling, to put it in the nicest possible way.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »

The fact that you would, anything about the debate on the death penalty completely set aside, call your, apparently preferred, method of capital punishment the "gas chamber" without even thinking about what this f-ing word means in a historical context is indeed very troubling, to put it in the nicest possible way.
Well it wasn't the best possible wording but I didn't mean a holocaustic gas chamber, I meant the gas chamber that is singular like the state of Washington has.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »

Jesus F-cking Christ people.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »

You know, if we just kill everybody, then there won't be any more abortions! Ever!

Definitely something to consider.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »

This thread is deeply concerning.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »

I haven't made up my mind on this issue. I consider abortion problematic after, say, 10 weeks, but there is a difference between murder and abortion of a fetus.

The woman generally shouldn't be punished, not because the act isn't wrong but because there are good sociological reasons not to.
What reasons do you have in mind?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 01:04:40 PM »

I do wonder why there is so much 'bloodlust' expressed in this topic. Do people generally go around thinking of imaginative and punitive ways to punish people on any matter that they happen to dislike? If that's the sort of person you are then I would be deeply worried.

Of course should this come to pass we would end up in the grotesque chaos of women who miscarry being hauled before the courts to make sure they didn't give themselves a 'little help'. And that would have to happen because people are already suspect of miscarriages and the circumstances around them as it is. The fetishisation of the unborn (thanks Marianism) by many pro-lifers get's close to a perversion.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 01:55:50 PM »

Wait, you guys seriously think it's a good idea to punish the mother for abortion? WTF is wrong with you people?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »

Wait, you guys seriously think it's a good idea to punish the mother for abortion? WTF is wrong with you people?

Better yet, people want to punish the doctor and/or mother with the death penalty, which makes no logical sense if being anti-abortion is to save lives.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »

Better yet, people want to punish the doctor and/or mother with the death penalty, which makes no logical sense if being anti-abortion is to save lives.

But if you kill them, there won't be any more abortions! Yay!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 02:08:06 PM »

This, though obviously I don't believe in the death penalty:

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »

"Pro-life" support Capital Punishment. Anybody see the irony?

If you want to be truly pro-life support pacifism.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »

You know, if we just kill everybody, then there won't be any more abortions! Ever!

Definitely something to consider.
There's a certain logic here.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 02:20:05 PM »

Yes. She is complicit in the act, and therefore, she should receive some kind of punishment.

When a contract killing takes place, both the hitman and the person who hired the hitman get punished.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 02:22:52 PM »

Looking at all the users proposing "DEATH PENALTY!!!11111" is honestly kind of making me feel liberal on the issue. Seriously, Classic Conservative and others, if being anti-abortion is about saving lives, then using the death penalty here totally defeats the purpose. Being pro-life has to be about more than just the 9 months in the womb. As I've said before, the Death Penalty is only merited for first degree murder (in which the right to life has truly been lost) (And even then, I would demand the holding of two separate guilt-determining jury trials (no matter what), just to ensure the verdict is correct.), which I don't consider Abortion to be, because 1) while a fetus (and even an embryo) is a human life, it's not the same "class" of human life as one that is out of the womb, 2) it defeats the purpose of being anti-abortion, and 3) the doctor, who is the actual murderer, does not have excess advance plans to murder the fetus.

Yes. She is complicit in the act, and therefore, she should receive some kind of punishment.

When a contract killing takes place, both the hitman and the person who hired the hitman get punished.

Exactly.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »

Why not just admit that you hate anyone that doesn't have a dick and we can just move on with our day. (I'm obviously not talking to you Maddy, but holy christ, most of these answers...)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2016, 02:43:01 PM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

I haven't made up my mind on this issue. I consider abortion problematic after, say, 10 weeks, but there is a difference between murder and abortion of a fetus.

The woman generally shouldn't be punished, not because the act isn't wrong but because there are good sociological reasons not to.
What reasons do you have in mind?

For all that 'choice' gets talked about positively in the context of abortion, it's really not perceived/interpreted as a free act for a lot of women (some obscene percentage of abortions in America are flat-out coerced, and that's without even considering real or perceived socioeconomic impossibilities), having an abortion is often a canary in the coal mine for other problems for which the woman really can't in any sense be blamed, and even though there are also plenty of times in which that isn't the case it doesn't strike me as at all a good idea to attempt to use penal law to determine what a post-abortive woman's motivations are.

These are actually relatively good reasons for abortion to be legal despite being morally wrong, so if I'm going to bite the bullet and insist that those reasons don't outweigh the state interest in preventing the killing of the very young (which is a difficult moral conclusion to come to and really not the no-brainer I falsely made it out to be in the recent thread in US General) then I owe it to women in these kinds of situations to at least not advocate punishing them. (I also owe it to them to advocate a safe and equitable economic system and legally ensured social protections, so as to not turn being 'pro-life' into some sort of sick combination of pregnancy fetishism and the mere addition paradox. Which is what I think a lot of the 'pro-life' movement does, and which is why I'm still very uncomfortable sharing my basic position on abortion with a lot of the people with whom I share it.)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »

"Pro-life" support Capital Punishment. Anybody see the irony?

If you want to be truly pro-life support pacifism.
This reasoning is incredibly flawed and the result of thinking in cheap political talking points. People that are in favor of the death penalty do not support people getting randomly murdered without a process, you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies