Democratic leaning Union: Trump could win OH/PA/MI/WI
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:09:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic leaning Union: Trump could win OH/PA/MI/WI
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democratic leaning Union: Trump could win OH/PA/MI/WI  (Read 1824 times)
HillOfANight
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/business/donald-trump-unions.html
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The few state polls out show Clinton strongly leading Wisconsin, decent lead in Michigan, barely leading in Ohio, and tied in Pennsylvania.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wi/wisconsin_trump_vs_clinton-5659.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_clinton-5533.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/oh/ohio_trump_vs_clinton-5634.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/pa/pennsylvania_trump_vs_clinton-5633.html
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »

LOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL No
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:26:36 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »

Against Hillary: Maybe

Against our working-class hero Bernie: No
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:29:10 AM »

Do you have serious analysis about these voters that doesn't invoke your own biased worldview? I'll yield on Wisconsin, primarily because Scott Walker has damaged the Republican Party for years to come in addition to a slew of other factors related to Trump's appeal and WI residents, but the others are completely legitimate, and even his opponents see it. I have no expectation of winning MI, but it's got to be a cause for concern amongst Democrats.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:32:50 AM »

Wisconsin isn't happening because Walker. Michigan isn't happening because Snyder. The other two have a chance.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 10:34:59 AM »

Do you have serious analysis about these voters that doesn't invoke your own biased worldview? I'll yield on Wisconsin, primarily because Scott Walker has damaged the Republican Party for years to come in addition to a slew of other factors related to Trump's appeal and WI residents, but the others are completely legitimate, and even his opponents see it. I have no expectation of winning MI, but it's got to be a cause for concern amongst Democrats.

Scott Walker hurts republican chances in Wisconsin, and plus it's an inelastic state
HillOfANight
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 10:37:13 AM »

Hypothetically Trump does well with the working class but terrible with college educated whites. He could pick up OH/PA, but lose CO/NH and maybe FL/NC.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/01/28/cruz_trump_and_the_missing_white_voters_129465.html
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »

I can set my feelings about Trump aside to look at things realistically, even in a neutral year, Wisconsin, Michigan and PA are very inelastic states and with Trump's rhetoric, I don't see that changing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »

Anecdotally, I think this is definitely possible. Of course the same idiots that said TRUMP would be done by September are going to dismiss this, but who really cares what they think.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »

Anecdotally, I think this is definitely possible. Of course the same idiots that said TRUMP would be done by September are going to dismiss this, but who really cares what they think.

Tell me how Trump can expand the map in a general election? His hateful rhetoric won't sit well with minority voters and the dude comes off as far-right to many.
Trapsy

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »

Was speculation always this bad?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 11:23:41 AM »

Tell me how Trump can expand the map in a general election? His hateful rhetoric won't sit well with minority voters and the dude comes off as far-right to many.

I think he'll move to the center in the general election and recast himself as a independent-minded, moderate dealmaker. He's already beginning to do this rhetorically, and has come out in recent weeks in support of moderate (even liberal!) proposals like Medicare negotiating drug prices that reinforce his "Dealmaker-in-Chief" brand. I don't think he'd be a 100% lock on the presidency, of course, but it's foolish to dismiss a guy who has proven to be such a skilled and capable politician.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »

I think he'll move to the center in the general election and recast himself as a independent-minded, moderate dealmaker. He's already beginning to do this rhetorically, and has come out in recent weeks in support of moderate (even liberal!) proposals like Medicare negotiating drug prices that reinforce his "Dealmaker-in-Chief" brand. I don't think he'd be a 100% lock on the presidency, of course, but it's foolish to dismiss a guy who has proven to be such a skilled and capable politician.

Romney did the same thing, it didn't help him because the people didn't believe him, it will happen again to Trump
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »

Romney did the same thing, it didn't help him because the people didn't believe him, it will happen again to Trump

Romney is an unlikable tool who was the conservative in '08, a 'severely conservative' RINO in the '12 primaries, and literally stood for nothing in the GE. Additionally, Trump is not a gaffe machine. He knows the effects of everything he does when he does it. Romney wasn't coming out in support of government-run health care and such. He was an out-of-touch elitist who didn't care about the working man. Trump has the opposite base.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 11:33:12 AM »

Romney is an unlikable tool who was the conservative in '08, a 'severely conservative' RINO in the '12 primaries, and literally stood for nothing in the GE. Additionally, Trump is not a gaffe machine. He knows the effects of everything he does when he does it. Romney wasn't coming out in support of government-run health care and such. He was an out-of-touch elitist who didn't care about the working man. Trump has the opposite base.

Trump realistically can't just up and moderate his views to win the general, once again repeating what I said. Both candidates were big government-run health care supporters, Trump to this day still supports it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »

You're viewing things from a libertarian perspective and ignoring personalities.

Listen carefully to these thoughts -
Romney laid the framework for that Obamacare for those lazy moochers. (Or even, dare I say, "helping insurance companies make more money off us" for the somewhat more astute)
Trump is going to give us the greatest healthcare system in the world so we can get the services we deserve.

It's all about perception.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 11:57:03 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2016, 11:59:33 AM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

You're viewing things from a libertarian perspective and ignoring personalities.

Romney laid the framework for that Obamacare for those lazy moochers. (Or even, dare I say, "helping insurance companies make more money off us" for the somewhat more astute)
Trump is going to give us the greatest healthcare system in the world so we can get the services we deserve.

Where is the factual evidence on his health care plan?

Is it government ran? private system? how will he pay for it?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »

Not surprising. These same voters probably would've voted George Wallace in 1972 in the Dem Primary. Not to mention the Democratic Party establishment doesn't give a sh**t about unions or workers in general.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 12:10:17 PM »

Clinton needs Pa, WI, MI; OH or CO or Va are bellweathers
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »

I highly doubt he'd win Ohio but there is certainly no way on earth he'd win Wisconsin except facing Hillary Clinton running from federal prison.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 12:23:35 PM »

I can see Trump winning these states.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 12:24:13 PM »

Where is the factual evidence on his health care plan?

Is it government ran? private system? how will he pay for it?

http://qz.com/604360/donald-trump-wants-to-replace-obamacare-with-an-even-further-left-wing-health-care-policy/
HillOfANight
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »

Are enough Americans stupid enough to fall in love with his bombast and overlook his flips and flops and vulgarity? He's been outsourcing and built a global business and now he's the ultimate isolationist. It seems possible. But not likely.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/188936/trump-negative-image.aspx

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 12:58:04 PM »

Don't we see this every cycle, with doomsaying about Republicans picking up Union votes, and then like clockwork, union members break heavily by the same margin for the Democrat?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies