Election Test
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:02:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Election Test
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Pick One
Republican: frm. Pres. Abraham Lincoln (Illinois)/frm. Pres. Ronald Reagan (California)

Democratic: frm. Pres. Andrew Jackson (Tennessee)/frm. Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt (New York)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Election Test  (Read 1616 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 01:04:00 AM »

... give me the two pro-business Republicans!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:02 AM »

The guy who was endorsed by Karl Marx

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

pretty moderate to liberal on immigration issues.

In what world was Lincoln, a guy who regarded nativists to be on the same level as slavery expansionists, close to a "moderate" on immigration?

http://www.longislandwins.com/news/detail/lincoln_the_know_nothings_and_immigrant_america

Seems to me like somebody who, even by today's standards, was pretty enlightened on the issue.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:07 PM »

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

In what world was Lincoln, a guy who regarded nativists to be on the same level as slavery expansionists, close to a "moderate" on immigration?

http://www.longislandwins.com/news/detail/lincoln_the_know_nothings_and_immigrant_america

Seems to me like somebody who, even by today's standards, was pretty enlightened on the issue.

Well, Lincoln's temperament was pretty moderate on most things.  By the way, I'm sure you could find a quote by Reagan or Bush that could make them sound like leftists to some morons 150 years from now, but something tells me one quote isn't enough for you to claim them as one of your own in this life??
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »

Well, Lincoln's temperament was pretty moderate on most things.  By the way, I'm sure you could find a quote by Reagan or Bush that could make them sound like leftists to some morons 150 years from now, but something tells me one quote isn't enough for you to claim them as one of your own in this life??
Want to reply with something related to what I said or?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »

How was this an endorsement of Lincoln?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 08:38:53 AM »

I guess I didn't say who I would vote for, but TBH I like both of the candidates on both tickets. It would all depend on what kind of campaign they would run in a modern context.
Reagan: A popular conservative Governor of California whose running a hopeful, idealistic campaign, so think Rubio
Reagan was not terribly popular as Governor, nor was his record especially conservative.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »

Lincoln was a frickin' corporate lawyer for the railroad companies before politics, wasn't he?  He very proudly branded himself as a Constitutionalist and praised the free market and upward mobility; he did NOTHING before or during his Presidency that he didn't 100% believe to be within his Constitutional powers.  The RNC in the 1950s also gave a bunch of lip service to unions in their platform, so what?

To act like Lincoln's politics were anywhere in the realm of Karl Marx is absurd.  So Karl Marx opposed slavery ... So did the Quakers and nearly all Prohibitionists; that was a HUGE tent.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 11:13:57 AM »

He's a communist. Ignore him. They don't let silly bourgeois things like logic, reason, and facts get in their way.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »

That's a Lincoln quote, sorry.

Lincoln was a frickin' corporate lawyer for the railroad companies before politics, wasn't he?  He very proudly branded himself as a Constitutionalist and praised the free market and upward mobility; he did NOTHING before or during his Presidency that he didn't 100% believe to be within his Constitutional powers.  The RNC in the 1950s also gave a bunch of lip service to unions in their platform, so what?

To act like Lincoln's politics were anywhere in the realm of Karl Marx is absurd.  So Karl Marx opposed slavery ... So did the Quakers and nearly all Prohibitionists; that was a HUGE tent.
Ok? Not really sure what you're getting at? Of course I don't think Lincoln is some anti-capitalist (that's pretty much why I like him).
I think we get the gist of it by now, you read the wikipedia article on communism and you don't like it. You can probably give it a rest by now.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »

Ok? Not really sure what you're getting at? Of course I don't think Lincoln is some anti-capitalist (that's pretty much why I like him).
I think we get the gist of it by now, you read the wikipedia article on communism and you don't like it. You can probably give it a rest by now.

You certainly implied that Lincoln was the obvious choice for a communist ... And that's not overly obvious at all.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »

You certainly implied that Lincoln was the obvious choice for a communist ... And that's not overly obvious at all.
Sure he is. Any self-respecting communist would support the transition from a slave-based economy to capitalism.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »

Sure he is. Any self-respecting communist would support the transition from a slave-based economy to capitalism.

I assume this hypothetical election is happening in some magical timeline ... I mean if slavery really were an issue, FDR would jump off of the Democratic ticket in a heartbeat.  In a hypothetical time period where these four all have similar issues to argue about, I don't see why a moderate Republican and his conservative running mate are THAT much more appealing than Andrew Jackson, one of the forefathers of economic populism, and his liberal runningmate.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:03 PM »

Seriously guys, this is one of the dumbest threads I've seen on Atlas.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:27 AM »

Not to mention Unitarians and nearly all the suffragettes.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 11:25:27 AM »

Lol at the idea of Lincoln being any kind of modern liberal.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »

Seriously guys, this is one of the dumbest threads I've seen on Atlas.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »

I don't get the point you're trying to make here. Matching up arguably the two best Republican presidents of all time against two racists for the Democratic Party, just so that the Republicans can look good? I believe that is called 'partisanship'.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »

I don't get the point you're trying to make here. Matching up arguably the two best Republican presidents of all time against two racists for the Democratic Party, just so that the Republicans can look good? I believe that is called 'partisanship'.
Considering that this forum is hyperpartisan for Democrats, I wouldn't say that.  And I don't think I would call FDR a racist, either.  I think the idea was to use the first president from both parties, then use a more recent/modern day leader as the VP candidate.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »

Considering that this forum is hyperpartisan for Democrats, I wouldn't say that.  And I don't think I would call FDR a racist, either.  I think the idea was to use the first president from both parties, then use a more recent/modern day leader as the VP candidate.
Yep. Lincoln/Reagan was easy, and I considered doing Roosevelt/Clinton instead, but Andrew Jackson was the first, so I wanted him on there.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies