Volunteer Preparatory Coordinating Committee for the Western Region
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:12:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Volunteer Preparatory Coordinating Committee for the Western Region
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Volunteer Preparatory Coordinating Committee for the Western Region  (Read 1512 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »

The Pacific and Midwest have been the regions of Atlasia longest afflicted by inactivity and maladministration. As a concerned citizen, we are eager to prevent their successor from being afflicted by the same problem. In order to do so, we are forming the Volunteer Preparatory Coordinating Committee for the Western Region (VolCoCom West).

The acute inactivity seen today, I believe, is partly caused by the futility of most political activity. We are left passing laws that shall be rendered null and void in a matter of months, if not weeks. We are going through legislative motions with no discernible long-term purpose. I agree with Governor Turkisblau when he says this Pacific Region is dead. But there is a new future. The VolCoCom West aims to look to the future by paving the way to the new Western Region, and ensuring that it has its start hitting the ground running. The goal is to formulate a new Western Region code, sketching a constitutional framework, and forging early consensus on policy. This work looks to the future, and, as such, will not only have an impact tomorrow but today. I am putting aside my personal partisan differences and accepting the President's call to service, and I hope others will join in this effort to pave the way to progress.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »

x Türkisblau
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »

[PROPOSAL]

The new region should, initially, maintain a three-person legislature. This will ensure competitive elections, and act as an incentive for active service. It will, in effect, instill a culture of activity and active service. After a certain benchmark is reached-- perhaps 50 or 60 residents-- the size could be increased to five. The other elected officials would be the Governor, and a court of a permanent judge who will also act as electoral officer.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »

x rpryor03
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »

x ebowed
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 06:45:01 PM »

X1184AZ
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »

I'm not in the Pacific or Midwest. May I join your committee?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 11:08:26 PM »

I'm not sure what the purpose would be.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:38:21 PM »

Let's get the ideas flowing!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »

I'm not sure what the purpose would be.

Ideas cannot be shot nor contained. It is important to have other regions watching and occasionally coordinating with the Western regions. I advise you allow other region's members to give ideas but not vote unless confirmed by the Committee. Perhaps a vote on an "observatory member" status?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »

You are of course free to contribute!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »

What do you envision for the executive structure?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 02:17:09 AM »

Great idea, Simfan! I should probably get something like this started for the New South, too.

There should be some sort of "VolCoCom Partners" or whatever group for people like CXS, Kingpoleon, and...

X Leinad

...myself to help with the flow of ideas.

I would suggest a proactive self-adjusting legislature, that goes to 5 seats if 6 or 7 candidates run.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2016, 06:22:06 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

Hi. As someone who's recently become involved in the region's politics, I'd like to start getting into the process around here. Can I get in on the action?

x Ted Bessell

EDIT: Just to be clear, I believe we should continue legislating, as I explained in more detail in my campaign thread. However, being on the Committee will allow me to help create the new region and put forth some ideas for the structure of the new Government.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 10:31:46 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2016, 10:35:18 PM by Simfan34 »

I would suggest a proactive self-adjusting legislature, that goes to 5 seats if 6 or 7 candidates run.

I agree with this sentiment, although I would make the size dependent on population, which is a less volatile variable.

e: wait, I already said that.

I also propose the Justice be given less sweeping powers than at present, namely, not having the power to simultaneously prosecute and issue rulings, and, as such, suspend laws and officials on his own initiative without deliberation. There should be a normal process of petition and hearings.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »

I agree with this sentiment, although I would make the size dependent on population, which is a less volatile variable.

e: wait, I already said that.

I also propose the Justice be given less sweeping powers than at present, namely, not having the power to simultaneously prosecute and issue rulings, and, as such, suspend laws and officials on his own initiative without deliberation. There should be a normal process of petition and hearings.

That's sensible. Do you have the Justice as an elected official, though? Not that it's relevant to the topic, just curious.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 12:02:19 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2016, 12:21:25 AM by Pacific Councilor 1184AZ »

Allowing citizens to petition to have legislation introduced in  the house would  be a good plan.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 12:09:07 AM »

Allowing citizens to petition to have legislation introduced in  the house might be a good plan.

Agreed. I suggest that we include something similar to the Southeast's "Peoples' Government Amendment" in the Constitution.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:07 AM »

That's a fair point, although I still tend to support a purely self-adjusting legislature. Nevertheless, here are two possible workarounds:

1. Make it an average of the last few times, or a matter of consecutive elections. So, if there are two/three straight elections with 6+ candidates it goes to 5 seats. Or something like that.

2. Add both hurdles: keep it fixed to 3 if the population is under a certain number (say, 40) and if it goes over that number it becomes self-adjusting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies