Gallup: secular trend in U.S. religious affiliation is slowly continuing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:21:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Gallup: secular trend in U.S. religious affiliation is slowly continuing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup: secular trend in U.S. religious affiliation is slowly continuing  (Read 1407 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2016, 09:44:15 PM »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/187955/percentage-christians-drifting-down-high.aspx

You must be logged in to read this quote.

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:53:35 PM »

This is likely statistical noise, but the fact that there is no difference between the 18-24 and 25-29 cohorts in "None" is slightly hopeful.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:11:55 PM »

This is likely statistical noise, but the fact that there is no difference between the 18-24 and 25-29 cohorts in "None" is slightly hopeful.

It's not so much the nones but the larger universe of the "whatevers" who are causing the cultural change.  If the whatevers have also stabilized, that would be a really good sign, but I have my doubts.

Agreed.  Within that 62 percent of "Christian" for millenials are a very, very broad spectrum of beliefs, from fundamentalists like me to moderate Protestants, Catholics, and a whole bunch of pretty apathetic folks.  In that sense, the data isn't too descriptive.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »

It looks like those born right after the Vietnam era were the start of increasing secularization. Interesting stuff.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 11:08:56 PM »

I pray this trend reverses. We need a new great awakening
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »

Conversely, it may be that some of the youngest cohort haven't yet made the transition from religious to non-religious in their own lives but will.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:03:57 AM »

Conversely, it may be that some of the youngest cohort haven't yet made the transition from religious to non-religious in their own lives but will.

Particularly as they may still be reliant on family for accommodation and financial support. The figures for youngest cohorts are moving more in line with European figures. Probably still a decade behind though.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »

Perhaps it's because younger people are more likely to be Hispanic, and Hispanics are more likely to be religious?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 09:07:23 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2016, 09:10:33 AM by White Light »

This is all purely anecdotal and maybe limited only to people in a "hipster"/"alternative" outlook, but basically every person I know in the "None" category went there in the 18-24 category, if not earlier. Far more likely to occur in 25-29 is moving BACK from "None" to Christian rather than moving to "None" for the first time.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 12:31:54 PM »

This is all purely anecdotal and maybe limited only to people in a "hipster"/"alternative" outlook, but basically every person I know in the "None" category went there in the 18-24 category, if not earlier. Far more likely to occur in 25-29 is moving BACK from "None" to Christian rather than moving to "None" for the first time.

True, but consider the 18/19/20-year-olds who are religious now but will become "None" as they get to college and graduate as 21/22/23/24-year-olds.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »

Very few of my friends who've moved to "none" status have moved back (granted I live in LA).

Those that have might just baptize their kids and go to church on Xmas/Easter, but don't make it a cornerstone of their life. I see this as a growing trend.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies