Democratic Iowa Caucus results thread (entrance poll @8pm ET) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:20:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic Iowa Caucus results thread (entrance poll @8pm ET) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democratic Iowa Caucus results thread (entrance poll @8pm ET)  (Read 60862 times)
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« on: February 01, 2016, 10:06:30 PM »

Wow, I didn't expect such a photo finish! Even if Hillary pulls this out (my gut says she just squeaks by), it's hard to call this a bad result for the Bern.

Actually it is very bad for Bernie. Iowa is his third most friendly demographic state so if he can't win there he has little chance winning anywhere else outside of Vermont/N.H.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:38:21 PM »

Bernie has no chance of becoming the democratic nominee regardless of Iowa and N.H. Hillary is gonna tear Bernie up on Super Tuesday as well as 2 weeks later.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »

Bernie has no chance of becoming the democratic nominee regardless of Iowa and N.H. Hillary is gonna tear Bernie up on Super Tuesday as well as 2 weeks later.

Look who's panicking now Wink

I've been saying for months that regardless of the outcome in Iowa and N.H. that Hillary would still be the nominee.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/694365201366253569
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:03:47 PM »

Clinton can declare victory, but this is Sanders' night.

Sanders night to possibly win a state by a slight margin that he needed to win by a huge margin to have any chance whatsoever to win the nomination down the road.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 11:05:54 PM »

Clinton can declare victory, but this is Sanders' night.
Sanders night to possible win a state by a slight margin that he needed to win by a huge margin to have any chance whatsoever to win the nomination down the road.
No he didn't. To upset the coronation of Hillary Clinton in Iowa is a big achievement.
It's not upsetting anything. She is gonna tear him a new one on Super Tuesday and beyond.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 11:10:25 PM »

Hillary will still be the nominee. Potentially winning Iowa does nothing for Sanders.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »

Steve Kornacki just admitted on MSNBC that Hillary will win tonight thanks to counties that favor her still being outstanding.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 11:49:43 PM »

Does this bode well for Hillary in November in Iowa?

It probably doesn't say that much one way or the other.

I think the takeaway is that, yes, Hillary probably has this, but there are clearly voters in the Democratic party that she has to win over (say what you will about her favorability ratings.) Mock "Sandernistas" at your own peril; if Hillary wins the nomination, she needs them to turn out for her to win a GE.

Not so much. Most of them weren't even eligible to vote during the last presidential cycle and Hillary has the Obama voter coalition that will win the day in the general election.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 11:51:39 PM »

Great night for Bernie! Smiley momentum going into NH now.

And what after that?
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 11:54:49 PM »

Does this bode well for Hillary in November in Iowa?

It probably doesn't say that much one way or the other.

I think the takeaway is that, yes, Hillary probably has this, but there are clearly voters in the Democratic party that she has to win over (say what you will about her favorability ratings.) Mock "Sandernistas" at your own peril; if Hillary wins the nomination, she needs them to turn out for her to win a GE.

Not so much. Most of them weren't even eligible to vote during the last presidential cycle and Hillary has the Obama voter coalition that will win the day in the general election.

If 49.5% of Iowans voted for Bernie, that doesn't suggest that she has the Obama coalition in the bag. Plenty of 22-30 year-olds who supported Obama are for Bernie now. She CAN win these voters, but she can't take them for granted.

Well said. I take your point.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:27 AM »

Why is it that Reps who hand wrote all votes were finished counting long before Dems who only did a head count?
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 12:04:21 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was the Clintonistas that thought Hillary was inevitable. The Sanders supporters just said it would be close and then after got yelled at by the Hillary goons.

She is absolutely inevitable. If you believe otherwise tell me which states Sanders has a chance to win on Super Tuesday and beyond. The answer is few, if any. Let me guess, you thought the NDP would beat the Liberals too?
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 12:14:57 AM »

There's more precincts outstanding in Clinton counties than Sanders counties. Clinton probably squeaks by.

Probably, but there is a lot of Polk where Clinton is doing well, but there have been a lot of Bernie precincts there so we don't know how that will turnout.
We actually do.
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/694364051283927041
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 12:32:11 AM »

I thought the GOP would have Santorum-Romney levels of closeness, not the Democrats. This is going to be an exciting primary.

I disagree. It will be very boring starting on Super Tuesday and beyond.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 12:40:54 AM »

Super Tuesday won't be. Wink
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »

Hillary should write O'Malley a thank-you check. I'm pretty sure that without him getting 8 votes, she'd lose (assuming she doesn't lose anyway).

MSNBC is also saying Hillary won 3 delegates due to 3 different coin flips. Bernie would be winning if he would have won those 3 flips. Pretty crazy!

What a ridiculous way to elect a President. Caucuses should be abolished, tomorrow.

Between the Dems outcome tonight and the Reps four years ago with Romney being declared winner on the night of but Santorum later the "official" winner, I can't disagree.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 01:13:33 AM »

Only 1% of the vote is outstanding now. Hillary still leads.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 01:21:18 AM »

This caucus was certainly shady. But it wasn't Clinton's results that were shady. The shadiest results of all were none other than the 74 year old communist misogynist, Bernie Sanders. There is no way that 49% of the Democratic Party would intentionally vote against a woman, and our 45th president, for that matter.

Iowa is the third most demographically friendly state to Sanders, only N.H. and Vermont surpass it. Not to mention caucuses always favor the most liberal candidate. Hillary will win the party nomination by a mile.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »

Iowa has been a clusterf**k in back-to-back cycles now, just for opposing parties. Seriously Iowans, get your s**t together.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 01:54:35 AM »

Can someone explain how this is a victory for Sanders? Not to be a hack, but I seriously don't get it. Yes, he did far better than anyone thought he would do early in the year and overcame an initial massive deficit. But that's all old news and has already been factored into the equation for ages. Him possibly winning Iowa was seen as a distinct possibility for months now. It's one of his top 5 most demographically friendly states...and he could only manage a tie.

All the media spin just uses "he's a REAL threat to Clinton now!" as justification, but again, we've already known for ages he had a decent shot to win Iowa.

BINGO!
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 02:00:13 AM »

we've already known for ages he had a decent shot to win Iowa.

Says the guy with an inevitable signature.

?

I never saw an Iowa win as crucial to her inevitability (though it would've been nice.) What makes her inevitable is her enormous support among minorities, huge advantage among superdelegates, a highly favorable primary calendar after NH, and an Obama endorsement trump card that she almost certainly has to play at the opportune moment if needed. None of these things have anything to do with Iowa. Inevitability doesn't mean you have to win 50 states or even win easily. It just means you're inevitably winning.

JACKPOT!
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 02:06:11 AM »

Sanders beat the expectations game, when everyone said he didn't have a chance and Clinton was expected to run away with this. She was up 20+ points, and Sanders was able to chip away at her lead to a virtual tie. Even with a better ground game and more cash on hand, she still couldn't run away with this. Bernie has the momentum, face the facts.

Explain to me where Bernie wins on Super Tuesday and beyond then. Vermont and HuhHuh?
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 02:14:26 AM »

Sanders beat the expectations game, when everyone said he didn't have a chance and Clinton was expected to run away with this. She was up 20+ points, and Sanders was able to chip away at her lead to a virtual tie. Even with a better ground game and more cash on hand, she still couldn't run away with this. Bernie has the momentum, face the facts.

Explain to me where Bernie wins on Super Tuesday and beyond then. Vermont and HuhHuh?

Depends on how well he does in NH and then on from Nevada. Anything can happen.

You're deluded.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 02:19:37 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2016, 02:24:11 AM by ♥♦ 3peat 2016 ♣♠ »

Current delegate count update - 2382 needed to be the nominee:

Clinton: 409

Sanders: 34

Includes totals from Iowa tonight.

http://www.cnn.com/election

Clinton is already 17% of the way to capturing the nomination.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies