Judge Says Parents Cannot Teach Their Children Paganism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:00:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Judge Says Parents Cannot Teach Their Children Paganism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you think this judge was justified in his ruling?
Democrat -yes

Democrat -no

Republican -yes

Republican  -no

independent/third party -yes

independent/third party -no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Judge Says Parents Cannot Teach Their Children Paganism  (Read 4618 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2005, 04:13:58 AM »
« edited: May 27, 2005, 04:15:37 AM by Frodo »

-and please, read the article before commenting on it.  thanks.

Judge: Parents can't teach pagan beliefs
-Father appeals order in divorce decree that prevents couple from exposing son to Wicca.

By Kevin Corcoran
kevin.corcoran@indystar.com

An Indianapolis father is appealing a Marion County judge's unusual order that prohibits him and his ex-wife from exposing their child to "non-mainstream religious beliefs and rituals."

The parents practice Wicca, a contemporary pagan religion that emphasizes a balance in nature and reverence for the earth.

Cale J. Bradford, chief judge of the Marion Superior Court, kept the unusual provision in the couple's divorce decree last year over their fierce objections, court records show. The order does not define a mainstream religion.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050526/NEWS01/505260481
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 05:12:18 AM »

So much for liberals being the only ones with activist judges.

What's even more bizarre is that this came out of absolutely nowhere apparently purely because the judge felt like it; neither parent wants it to be there.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 05:18:29 AM »

No, and they should be able to get this fixed by appealing to a higher court. AND I bet they can get this coot fired if they really wanted.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 07:13:09 AM »

No they should be allowed to teach their kid. Pathetic.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 07:36:57 AM »

Damn, what a load of crap. This judge really needs to have his head looked at - after he has been removed from the bench.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 07:42:05 AM »

While I don't think this is a good ruling, I find it hard to feel outraged by it.  If the ruling prohibited parents from teaching their kids the Bible, liberals will nod and think of it as acceptable, and the media will mostly ignore it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 08:07:53 AM »

Obviously these parents have severe mental problems as it is, they sure as hell aren't competent enough to raise their children.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 08:55:05 AM »

Obviously these parents have severe mental problems as it is, they sure as hell aren't competent enough to raise their children.

And why is that? Because they have a religion you disagree with?
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 09:47:59 AM »

While I don't think this is a good ruling, I find it hard to feel outraged by it.  If the ruling prohibited parents from teaching their kids the Bible, liberals will nod and think of it as acceptable, and the media will mostly ignore it.

I'm a social liberal and a Christian. This board could use a whole lot less of these straw man arguements - even though it does seem to have its fair share of straw men and women.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 10:37:07 AM »

If the ruling prohibited parents from teaching their kids the Bible, liberals will nod and think of it as acceptable

Complete bullsh**t and a strawman. I'm a Christian and a liberal, so obviously I wouldn't.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 12:29:31 PM »

I just about crapped when I read about this ruling yesterday.

This judge needs to be removed from office - by congressional action if necessary.

What a bigot.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 12:31:52 PM »

I think the judge had some justification here.  If one parent was taking their kids to the Branch Davidian house or Jim Jones's ranch... I'd sure as hell want custody to be with the normal parent.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 12:34:11 PM »

I think the judge had some justification here.  If one parent was taking their kids to the Branch Davidian house or Jim Jones's ranch... I'd sure as hell want custody to be with the normal parent.

How is paganism anything like the Branch Davidians or Jim Jones?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 12:35:04 PM »

that's not the case. BOTH parents are Wiccan, he's saying neither one can, it's not a simple custody case. Furthermore while Wicca is a loopy and stupid religion, it's clearly not as destructive as those cults you mentioned.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 12:36:38 PM »

that's not the case. BOTH parents are Wiccan, he's saying neither one can, it's not a simple custody case. Furthermore while Wicca is a loopy and stupid religion, it's clearly not as destructive as those cults you mentioned.
Are you saying that if that WAS the case, it would be permissble for a judge to make such a ruling?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 12:38:07 PM »

If one parent belonged to a cult and the other didn't, then yes I would give custody to the parent that didn't. That was the scenario don mentioned.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 12:39:39 PM »

If one parent belonged to a cult and the other didn't, then yes I would give custody to the parent that didn't. That was the scenario don mentioned.
Slide down the slope a bit.  How about if both parents are KKK and want to bring their child up as a KKK believer?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 12:39:59 PM »

Who defines cult. According to opebo, every religious is a member of a cult, according to the Waco nuts, they were a mainstream group. Slippery slope here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 12:43:16 PM »

Standard defintiions of a cult are included here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult#Problems_surrounding_the_definitions_of_a_cult

I would draw the line at religious groups that promoted illegal or destructive behavior. Wicca is stupid, but it doesn't. "Speaking in tongues" Pentecostal sects are also stupid, but they don't either. Now if these Wiccan parents peformed pagan human sacrifices like 4000 years ago or the hypothetical Pentecostal sect was one of those that handles poisionous snakes, that'd change the situation.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 12:44:55 PM »

BRTD, do you want the government telling us what a cult is or isn't. You could end up with a complete radical in there who says Christianity is a cult. Very bad idea.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 12:45:07 PM »

Slide down the slope a bit.  How about if both parents are KKK and want to bring their child up as a KKK believer?

that depends on the behavior of the branch of the KKK they belonged to. If it was one that promoted lynching blacks and putting burning crosses on the lawns of interracial couples, no it should not be allowed, if they were just a bunch of stupid rednecks that held rallies in their private property in their stupid robes then yes, I'd let the parents do so and just hope the kid rejects his parents' idiocy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 12:47:03 PM »

BRTD, do you want the government telling us what a cult is or isn't. You could end up with a complete radical in there who says Christianity is a cult. Very bad idea.

I don't really care if the government defines a cult or not, I just draw the line at religious groups that promote illegal or destructive behavior. I doubt most would argue with such a definition.

We all know how I feel about Islam, but I wouldn't prohibit Muslim parents from raising their kid that way. However if the parents were supporters of al-Qaeda, most would agree that changes the situation a little. That's not the situation here though.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 12:50:59 PM »

Some Islamic radicals promote terrorism as an important part of their faith. Is Islam a cult?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 12:53:17 PM »

See what I said above. Is Islam a cult? No, as much as I dislike it. Are the sects that promote terrorism cults? Yes. If the parents belonged were mainstream Muslims then yes I'd say they should be allowed to raise their kids Muslim, if they supported terrorism, than no.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 12:55:48 PM »

no we wouldn't.  quit
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies