Guns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:30:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Guns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Guns  (Read 30698 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2003, 12:28:57 PM »

--helpful in your understanding our legal system and how majority rule is the standard and where it is not, such as the example of fundmanetal rights.

------------
Helpful in what way? I am not really sure about what you are referring to.

If someone is disputing facts (like claiming that the holocaust never occured) I agree that it could be important. Otherwise, it's doubtful. The minority can often be right and trying to make someone look suspicious by claiming that the person is extremist is a doubtful way of arguing, but that's my view (maybe I am alone in thinking that. HELP!) Sad
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2003, 12:35:20 PM »

--helpful in your understanding our legal system and how majority rule is the standard and where it is not, such as the example of fundmanetal rights.

------------

If someone is disputing facts (like claiming that the holocaust never occured) I agree that it could be important. Otherwise, it's doubtful. The minority can often be right and trying to make someone look suspicious by claiming that the person is extremist is a doubtful way of arguing, but that's my view (maybe I am alone in thinking that. HELP!) Sad

Oh, I think we are talking about slightly different things. I am just saying that the majority's position is not a good argument in a debate, to promote one's own view. The legal and political system is something different. I believe that certain rihts and principles should be laid out and be impossible to change for the majority. This is the protection of the minority from the majority and is fundamental in any democracy. Apart from that I have nothing against majority decisions. But if there is something peculiar about your legal system which you think I am unaware of and that is somehow leading me to misconceptions, I would be grateful if you would explain it to me. (Since we have established on another thread that you are such a well-educated lawyer)Smiley
jravnsbo

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2003, 12:42:28 PM »

first thank you for the compliment.

Next, well what i was trying to do was show how our legal system takes into account your argument already and let you see that.

See certain things are fundamental rights and it doesn't meatter what the majority thinks, what is right is right and protected even if offensive to a great majority, like flag buring for another example.  A huge majority hate flag buring and all of the States have passed a resolution stating they would favor a constitutional Amendment to protect it, and so ha the House of Rep by over 2/3 margins a number of times.  However in 1989 the SCT ruled it was free speech and thus a protected act.

--as I said majority rule is not the end all argument, but i think where the majority stands should be ONE factor and always made part of the discussion.

------------

Oh, I think we are talking about slightly different things. I am just saying that the majority's position is not a good argument in a debate, to promote one's own view. The legal and political system is something different. I believe that certain rihts and principles should be laid out and be impossible to change for the majority. This is the protection of the minority from the majority and is fundamental in any democracy. Apart from that I have nothing against majority decisions. But if there is something peculiar about your legal system which you think I am unaware of and that is somehow leading me to misconceptions, I would be grateful if you would explain it to me. (Since we have established on another thread that you are such a well-educated lawyer)Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2003, 12:49:23 PM »

Next, well what i was trying to do was show how our legal system takes into account your argument already and let you see that.

See certain things are fundamental rights and it doesn't meatter what the majority thinks, what is right is right and protected even if offensive to a great majority, like flag buring for another example.  A huge majority hate flag buring and all of the States have passed a resolution stating they would favor a constitutional Amendment to protect it, and so ha the House of Rep by over 2/3 margins a number of times.  However in 1989 the SCT ruled it was free speech and thus a protected act.

--as I said majority rule is not the end all argument, but i think where the majority stands should be ONE factor and always made part of the discussion.

------------

I reread your previous post and now I understand better what you were saying. I thought the part about Supreme Court and flag-burning was directed at someone else so I didn't read it thouroughly at first.

Well, I know that not everything is decided by majority decisions and I think that is right, as I state in my post above. I was kind of making another point, but I guess what you are saying has some bearing on that too.  

There is nothing wrong with staking what the majority position is, but it should not be used as a strong argument for a view.

To Mr. Fresh: I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that a view is warranted b/c it is a minority opinion, but if there is I agree with you. I just find it weird that you seemed to be debating something which I thought rather obvious; that the number of people supporting a view does not make it right, whether they are few or many.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2003, 12:55:31 PM »

I must say, Mr. Fresh, describing abortion as cruel and unusual punishment is way out there. First of all, it is an individual choice, not a government decision, so to classify it as punishment would be illogical. Also, read my theory in the Judges discussion as to why fetuses do not have the citizenship right to protect them from such treatment.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2003, 12:56:23 PM »

------------

I reread your previous post and now I understand better what you were saying. I thought the part about Supreme Court and flag-burning was directed at someone else so I didn't read it thouroughly at first.

Well, I know that not everything is decided by majority decisions and I think that is right, as I state in my post above. I was kind of making another point, but I guess what you are saying has some bearing on that too.  

There is nothing wrong with staking what the majority position is, but it should not be used as a strong argument for a view.

To Mr. Fresh: I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that a view is warranted b/c it is a minority opinion, but if there is I agree with you. I just find it weird that you seemed to be debating something which I thought rather obvious; that the number of people supporting a view does not make it right, whether they are few or many.

It was just me joking around a bit with Miamu, read his quote, then read my statement.  True, and obviously obvious.

Oh. I didn't get the joke then...(yeah, I'm thick...)
PD
pd

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2004, 02:12:50 PM »

All I have to say, again, is that people should have the right to bear firearms. Gun control is stupid.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2004, 04:57:33 PM »

All I have to say, again, is that people should have the right to bear firearms. Gun control is stupid.

Convincing argument...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2004, 05:58:03 PM »

Convincing argument...
He is composed of many one-line ultra-conservative un-defended arguments.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2004, 06:00:59 PM »

Convincing argument...
He is composed of many one-line ultra-conservative un-defended arguments.

Yeah, I've noticed.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

And he wants to run for president?  Haha!!
Imagine PD in a debate.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2004, 06:04:09 PM »

Imagine PD in a debate.

The GOP's answer to Howard Dean... Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »

Imagine PD in a debate.

Hey!  That's not nice..
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2004, 06:19:01 PM »

Imagine PD in a debate.

Hey!  That's not nice..

To who? PD or Dean? Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2004, 06:20:50 PM »

Dean.  I don't care if your nice to PD.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2004, 06:24:54 PM »

Dean.  I don't care if your nice to PD.
I suspected that... Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2004, 06:28:56 PM »

Smiley
Nice to see we got that cleaned up, because I would send Howard dean's posse after you... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2004, 06:29:47 PM »

Smiley
Nice to see we got that cleaned up, because I would send Howard dean's posse after you... Smiley

All the way to Sweden? I am shivering! Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2004, 06:31:42 PM »

He has meetups in London.  So watch your back...Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »

I could handle a draft dodger... Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2004, 06:43:38 PM »

Okay, I AM sending Dean after you. That's it.  Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2004, 06:49:14 PM »

Okay, I AM sending Dean after you. That's it.  Smiley

Bring him on! Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2004, 06:51:23 PM »

You don't know what you're asking for..
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2004, 06:53:13 PM »

What's the worse he can do? Tax increases? Believe me, we're used to it in Sweden...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2004, 07:33:20 PM »

What's the worse he can do? Tax increases? Believe me, we're used to it in Sweden...
I don't remember that post.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies