Will Sanders win a contest other than NH and VT?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:57:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Sanders win a contest other than NH and VT?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will he?
Yes; he'll win the nomination

Yes

Yes, but only in caucuses or conventions, no primaries.

No

No, and he'll lose either NH or VT

No; he'll lose every state.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 97

Author Topic: Will Sanders win a contest other than NH and VT?  (Read 3090 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2016, 04:12:31 AM »

Here's the primary/caucus schedule.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:13:55 AM »

In a perfect world, he wouldn't. But the fact that we actually have an election with candidates other than Hillary Clinton proves that this is not a perfect world.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:17:49 AM »

I actually don't see him winning any primaries besides NH/VT. His best shots are MA (March 1st) and WI (April 5th.) I don't see him making it to April 26th to target states like CT/RI.

I do think he'll win at least a few caucuses though. NV, MN, CO, NE, ME, ID, UT, WA, WY are all possibilities, depending on how long he stays in.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 04:18:03 AM »

Yes. Clinton remains the strong favorite to win the nomination though.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:33:31 AM »

I could see him winning in Maine. I'm not sure that he'll still be in by the time Alaska votes (caucuses).
Stan
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »

Depends by a lot of factors: not only about His campaign, but about Clinton's campaign too.

His best shots are Maine and (maybe) Massachusetts. Maybe Alaska, Colorado and Rhode Island too. If he will win in more then two-three states, for Hillary Clinton can be a lame victory.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:14:45 AM »

Minnesota which is an open caucus might be his best Super Tuesday state after Vermont.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:20:04 AM »

I think there's a strong chance that he doesn't win any primaries other than NH/VT.  Caucuses, I don't know.  I might have guessed that he'd have a shot at the CO and MN caucuses on Super Tuesday, but I don't know how to handicap the caucuses now that Sanders is getting more support from poors and less support from the wealthy.  The Sanders voters look less like the Obama '08 voters than they did a few months ago, so is he necessarily going to have an advantage in those low turnout caucuses like Obama did?
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:29:34 AM »

Lol @ people who think Sanders will win RI.

The only state I can imagine him MAYBE winning other than the ones in the title is Maine.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »

He could win a number of states, perhaps Nevada perhaps one or more in March (other than VT).
To win any April states he has to win some before that. So it all depends on March.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »

How about Wisconsin?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »

If he is still viable, Wisconsin is a very likely Sanders win. It doesn't vote until April 5, however, so it all depends on how many states that he can win in March to still be competitive by April.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »

If he's still in, he will win WA and OR.  But in order to still be in by WA and OR he will have had to have won other states anyway.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

If Sanders can keep the momentum going (which he will with the NH primary), I think CO and MN, along with VT goes to his column easily on Super Tuesday. I think there may be an outside chance of MA going to him if he is particularly strong. I'll reserve judgment on the southern states until we see how he performs in SC.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 12:12:29 PM »

ME, VT, NH, NV, CO, MN, AK, HI, OR, WA are all possible Sanders victories. It all comes down to Nevada, IMHO.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 12:33:03 PM »

If Sanders can keep the momentum going (which he will with the NH primary), I think CO and MN, along with VT goes to his column easily on Super Tuesday. I think there may be an outside chance of MA going to him if he is particularly strong. I'll reserve judgment on the southern states until we see how he performs in SC.

Massachusetts is a machine state. Obama lost by 15 points even though he was endorsed by the governor and both its senators.
Krzysztof Lesiak
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 12:58:52 PM »

I think besides NH and VT he could win Maine, but that's about it.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »

Of the early states, Maine and Minnesota stand out as potentially good states for Sanders -- caucus states with a mostly white liberal Democratic base.  Colorado could be interesting.  Sanders independent streak may appeal there and polling suggests that it is a weak state for Hillary.

I would not write Massachusetts off entirely, but as LL mentioned it is a Democratic machine state.  I think a Sanders victory there would be unlikely.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 08:02:09 PM »

ME, VT, NH, NV, CO, MN, AK, HI, OR, WA are all possible Sanders victories. It all comes down to Nevada, IMHO.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »

He'll only win caucuses, not so much that he'll do better in caucuses but that the early states in the calendar he has a chance of winning happen to be caucuses.   I think he could win ME, CO, NE and MN, but beware the Ides of March primaries which could put Hillary over the edge.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »

A lot depends on what happens in the next month. If things stay the way they are, he has a decent shot in several Western states, some of the upper/interior Midwest, and some of the Northeast. He'll need momentum to contest more of the country.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:40 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2016, 11:09:20 PM by YPestis25 »

I think yes, especially in some of the whiter caucus states, but a lot of it will depend on the narrative coming out of New Hampshire. If the story is a big Bernie win and the media plays it up a lot, he could definitely win some later states.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 11:07:07 PM »

Minnesota which is an open caucus might be his best Super Tuesday state after Vermont.

I thought that as well.
JMT

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 11:19:05 PM »

I think he definitely has a shot, but a lot depends on what happens on Super Tuesday. Bernie will win NH, and I think he can pull off a win in Nevada as well. South Carolina will go for Clinton, however.

On Super Tuesday, Bernie will definitely get Vermont, that's pretty much guaranteed. Beyond that, I could also see him winning the Colorado and Minnesota caucuses, and the Massachusetts primary. That would probably be the best case scenario for Bernie (winning New Hampshire, Nevada, Minnesota, Colorado, and Massachusetts). If he pulls this off, or at least wins most of the primaries / caucuses previously mentioned, then he'll do well in later caucuses as well. But if he fails to win Nevada and only secures Vermont on Super Tuesday (worst case scenario for Bernie), then he'll be in trouble and probably won't win much else.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies