Is President Obama an atheist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:19:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is President Obama an atheist?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is President Obama an atheist?  (Read 2057 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 11:08:26 AM »

There's literally no reason on Earth to believe he's not a liberal Christian other than if you really hate him and are Christian (he's not one of us!) or really love him and are not a Christian (he's just pretending, he's one of us!).
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »

he's in the "who gives a sh[Inks], but I'm a politician so let's play pretend" group.
This.

Agreed.  I don't want to be the judge of Mr. Obama's salvation, so I'd just take him at his word and say he is a Christian.  Nonetheless, I am concerned with some of his policy stances on moral issues, such as his positions on abortion, gay marriage, and religious liberty.

Then you don't agree with me at all.  I said he's part of the "who gives a sh**t" crowd, or 'apatheist' as I sometimes like to describe us.  I'm not taking his word for it when he says he's a Christian.

Whoops, accidentally quoted the wrong people.  You got me there.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 12:13:18 PM »

There's literally no reason on Earth to believe he's not a liberal Christian other than if you really hate him and are Christian (he's not one of us!) or really love him and are not a Christian (he's just pretending, he's one of us!).

Well, I'm a liberal Mormon, and have no dog in this fight so to speak, but from I've seen of Obama, he seems to be an agnostic who is culturally liberal Christian. He doesn't wear his religion on his sleeve, so to speak.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »

not my place to judge, but he's either agnostic/cultural christian or a liberal christian.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »

Well, I'm a liberal Mormon, and have no dog in this fight so to speak, but from I've seen of Obama, he seems to be an agnostic who is culturally liberal Christian. He doesn't wear his religion on his sleeve, so to speak.

But plenty of Christians don't wear it on their sleeve; that's not reason to think he's an agnostic.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 02:41:19 PM »

But plenty of Christians don't wear it on their sleeve; that's not reason to think he's an agnostic.
I don't go around yelling religious things but that doesn't make me any less religious than people who do. Some people just choose to show their religion in their actions and not the way other people do.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »

I don't think he cares much about religion.  Him being an atheist is much more likely than him being a Muslim.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 07:21:28 PM »

He could be either, I just think it's more likely that he's agnostic.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 08:15:09 PM »

I mean it's possible he doesn't believe in god, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't be a Christian.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 08:26:13 PM »

I mean it's possible he doesn't believe in god, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't be a Christian.

Yes it would.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if he wasn't into that whole organized religion thing?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 12:13:45 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if he wasn't into that whole organized religion thing?

Indeed it would be. But only if he still followed Jesus Christ.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 06:58:22 AM »

He's either an atheist or an agnostic.

He's definitely not a Christian. If you've ever heard his explanation of why he became a Christian, it's clear he'd have to be an idiot for it to be true.

His explanation was basically "I saw Christians doing charity work in Chicago" so either he didn't realize that every other religion also does charity work, or he's just a sheep who could have just as easily become a Jew if he'd seen them doing charity first. Obviously it's not really either, it's just a lie.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »

I like that basically 90% of the responses here are 'I would like the following to be true, therefore I shall believe it.'
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »

I think that like a large number of Americans, he belongs in the "I occasionally go to church and believe that there is some God, but I'm not very sure of anything and I'm not concerned with religion" crowd.

I would have to say this. It wouldn't be surprising at all to find out that he is an atheist, but there is no reason to refuse to take his word for it.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »

What a fake Christian!! http://www.christianpost.com/news/obama-national-prayer-breakfast-acceptance-christ-dont-fear-death-156790/
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »

No. If I had to guess I'd say he's pretty agnostic.
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:41 PM »

Not necessarily, but I don't think he's religious and I'm very confidant that he's full of sh**t when he talks about how he wakes up to bible verses and prays five times daily.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »

None of us can make windows into men's soul so only he can truly know. But there is a general tendency among certain people to assume that all christians are either firebreathing literalists or don't really believe it, and that's unfair and rather silly. There are far more sincere christians who don't hold, say, the views of Rfayette than do. And after reading his eulogy for Clementa Pinckney, I do find it difficult to believe that Obama is lying about the whole christian thing, because that speech is a very christian work.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »

None of us can make windows into men's soul so only he can truly know. But there is a general tendency among certain people to assume that all christians are either firebreathing literalists or don't really believe it, and that's unfair and rather silly. There are far more sincere christians who don't hold, say, the views of Rfayette than do. And after reading his eulogy for Clementa Pinckney, I do find it difficult to believe that Obama is lying about the whole christian thing, because that speech is a very christian work.

Great post.  Really sick of the narrative that you're a Bible thumper or an agnostic.  Unfortunately, the false narrative serves the interests and agendas of both the super religious and the irreligious.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »

Great post.  Really sick of the narrative that you're a Bible thumper or an agnostic.  Unfortunately, the false narrative serves the interests and agendas of both the super religious and the irreligious.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2016, 06:26:33 PM »

Strongly agree.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 06:34:20 PM »

I agree completely.  I have no reason to doubt Obama's word on this, and neither does anyone else.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 06:44:20 PM »

He can't be an atheist, because he's a Muslim.

JK, I don't doubt that he's just as Christian as he claims to be.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies