Where will the parties be under the Millennials?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:14:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Where will the parties be under the Millennials?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Where will the parties be under the Millennials?  (Read 2638 times)
tallguy23
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:21:44 PM »

Once the Millennials are a majority/plurality of Congress (and the electorate), where do you think the parties will be on the ideological spectrum?

I think.....

Dems: Social-democrats, similar to the Labour Party in the UK and Liberals in Canada

GOP: Moderate Libertarians (focus on economics/foreign policy and not on religion/morals)

Basically it'll be a socially liberal country with a focus on taxes and the size of government programs.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »

just kill me now
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »

The GOP may be moderate, the Democratic Party to the left. Also, the Islamization of America. These Millennials love Muslims. They love same sex marriage, and they scorn on traditional marriage. The military will be plunged and destroyed to pay for condoms and birth control and free education. You'll probably see a gay person running the military soon.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »

The GOP may be moderate, the Democratic Party to the left. Also, the Islamization of America. These Millennials love Muslims. They love same sex marriage, and they scorn on traditional marriage. The military will be plunged and destroyed to pay for condoms and birth control and free education. You'll probably see a gay person running the military soon.

wat
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:13:45 PM »

I feel like Sarah Palin has said this word for word before.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »

lol
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »

I feel like know Sarah Palin has said this word for word before.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:24:38 PM »

The main question for me is whether the GOP adapts and becomes a moderate technocrat party before or after the Dems lurch so far to the left that they become unelectable.

If they do, the odds are we'll have a fairly decent stretch of center-right leadership. If not, there could be serious unrest in the country as the radical left either takes power or refuses to abide by far-right leadership.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 07:42:23 AM »

LOL They "love Muslims". HAHA most of the "towelhead" jokes I hear come from people younger than me! LOL
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:17 AM »

The main question for me is whether the GOP adapts and becomes a moderate technocrat party before or after the Dems lurch so far to the left that they become unelectable.

If they do, the odds are we'll have a fairly decent stretch of center-right leadership. If not, there could be serious unrest in the country as the radical left either takes power or refuses to abide by far-right leadership.

lol
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 09:16:10 AM »

I hope they Republicans become more libertarian. But I'm generally pessimistic about politics, so I'll guess it's just a shift left and it's Sanders vs. Kasich.

If only there was a more proportional voting system smaller ideologies would have a say. We could get a Libertarian elected without needing to sneak through these Republitarians and be a part of this ridiculous Republican party.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »

The center will move to the left, but the question is how far.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »

The center will move to the left, but the question is how far.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »

Legions of Sandernistas vs. legions of Paulites. Get ready.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 03:41:23 PM »

Once the Millennials are a majority/plurality of Congress (and the electorate), where do you think the parties will be on the ideological spectrum?

I think.....

Dems: Social-democrats, similar to the Labour Party in the UK and Liberals in Canada

GOP: Moderate Libertarians (focus on economics/foreign policy and not on religion/morals)

Basically it'll be a socially liberal country with a focus on taxes and the size of government programs.

The Liberals are not social democratic. Jesus Christ...
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 03:44:17 PM »

I think.....

The Liberals are not social democratic. Jesus Christ...

This. The NDP is further to the left than the Liberals.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »

Legions of Sandernistas vs. legions of Paulites. Get ready.

So, Atlas with millions of times more members? Sounds... interesting.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 06:55:31 PM »

The GOP will get even more blustery, even more TRUMP-ish, not less. But I think it will be less about policy and more about fire and energy. I think the party will begin to take a harder turn anti-trade, more of a Jacksonian foreign policy, more anti-immigrant, ect. Maybe move to the center on some other issues, but largely remain the prevailing "conservative" party. The Paulite wing will remain small but there will be a few that pop up and talk about how that is the way forward for the GOP, but alas, I don't think it will be.

The Democrats will probably embrace the Sandernistas, though it will be a continous fight between them and the more powerful establishment of the party.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 07:33:56 PM »

The GOP will get even more blustery, even more TRUMP-ish, not less. But I think it will be less about policy and more about fire and energy. I think the party will begin to take a harder turn anti-trade, more of a Jacksonian foreign policy, more anti-immigrant, ect. Maybe move to the center on some other issues, but largely remain the prevailing "conservative" party. The Paulite wing will remain small but there will be a few that pop up and talk about how that is the way forward for the GOP, but alas, I don't think it will be.

The Democrats will probably embrace the Sandernistas, though it will be a continous fight between them and the more powerful establishment of the party.

I know our more "elitist" (not saying you're elitist, but the types of Democrats who have elitist views toward Republicans) Democrats might want a world in which the GOP is entirely ruled by Trumps and Pat Buchanans, but there simply isn't a time in the near future where the GOP is going to become anti-trade.  Obama's trade deal wasn't even Obama's; his party voted overwhelmingly against it, and Republicans voted overwhelmingly for it.  Some loud, dumba*s anti-trade Republicans are never going to outnumber the more business-oriented ones, especially in the leadership.  The GOP, at the end of the day, is still largely funded by business interests ... no matter how much they need to pander to some dumbs to remain in office.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 12:08:01 AM »

The Democratic Party will be consumed by a civil war between Tumblrina SJWs who emphasize identity politics, and social democrats who emphasize class issues and income disparities. You can already see shades of this in the Bernie vs Hillary race.

The Republican Party will gradually be consumed by the Alt-Right
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 07:08:36 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2016, 08:51:34 AM by Famous Mortimer »

The Democratic Party will be the party of Hispanics, African Americans, and Muslims. It will continue to support neo-liberal economic positions as its support for open borders (the wedge issue which will eclipse even abortion) makes social democracy impossible. They may actually come to officially embrace social democracy at some point but by that time the country will be so poor and overpopulated due to immigration that services will be crap.

The Republican Party will become the party of White people. While the majority of super rich will still be White, most White people will end up becoming poorer than the average minority, due to relentless diversity pushes and immigration forcing down wages in general. Most rank and file Republicans will be openly and actively racist. The party leadership will probably be more reserved and simply call for racial hiring quotes, which would be less detrimental to Whites than constantly favoring minorities in every hiring. The fact that everyone in the future will be pro-gay marriage and pro-choice will make it easier for pro-immigration conservatives to leave for the Democratic Party.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 08:59:42 AM »

The Democratic Party will be the party of Hispanics, African Americans, and Muslims. It will continue to support neo-liberal economic positions as its support for open borders (the wedge issue which will eclipse even abortion) makes social democracy impossible. They may actually come to officially embrace social democracy at some point but by that time the country will be so poor and overpopulated due to immigration that services will be crap.

The Republican Party will become the party of White people. While the majority of super rich will still be White, most White people will end up becoming poorer than the average minority, due to relentless diversity pushes and immigration forcing down wages in general. Most rank and file Republicans will be openly and actively racist. The party leadership will probably be more reserved and simply call for racial hiring quotes, which would be less detrimental to Whites than constantly favoring minorities in every hiring. The fact that everyone in the future will be pro-gay marriage and pro-choice will make it easier for pro-immigration conservatives to leave for the Democratic Party.

I hope you're joking.

If not, you deserve to be ridiculed for actually being this stupid.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »

I know our more "elitist" (not saying you're elitist, but the types of Democrats who have elitist views toward Republicans) Democrats might want a world in which the GOP is entirely ruled by Trumps and Pat Buchanans, but there simply isn't a time in the near future where the GOP is going to become anti-trade.  Obama's trade deal wasn't even Obama's; his party voted overwhelmingly against it, and Republicans voted overwhelmingly for it.  Some loud, dumba*s anti-trade Republicans are never going to outnumber the more business-oriented ones, especially in the leadership.  The GOP, at the end of the day, is still largely funded by business interests ... no matter how much they need to pander to some dumbs to remain in office.

This isn't the world I want. I think this is where the world will go. I can't disagree enough with the idea that the GOP will move toward this "fiscal conservative, social liberal" direction that is hailed by the press. If anything, the base is getting more agitated, not less.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2016, 10:54:25 AM by Schadenfreude »

The main things that get the Republican base to the polls are God, guns, and race.  You spoke about religion but you failed to address the other two issues especially race.

The Republican party has a race problem.  Just look at the Reaganfan screeds.  You take race and religion out of the equation and there is no Republican party.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »

I hope you're joking.

If not, you deserve to be ridiculed for actually being this stupid.

What's stupid about it? You're from New York. You have seen the future. The future is New York City/LA/Dubai. A country where most people are poor and/or foreign born but there's enough mega rich people that it throws the averages off and hide the fact that the place is third world.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies